Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem vaginal atrophy  (Read 2499 times)

Misty lynch

• First Flush
Vagifem vaginal atrophy
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »

Hi,

I have been using vagifem for some time, years but when things are good I get less consistent in applying. I am 61. The problem is that I had sex, missionary which is not usual for us. I thought I had thrush, got a course of flucanazole which did not help. Spoke to gp who said do a loading dose of vagifem, and it would take 3-4 weeks to feel better. Now over 3 weeks and it is probably worse now. I may have misunderstood and used vagifem once a night for 3 weeks and I have now read should only be for 2 weeks then maintenance. Could over using vagifem be a problem.

I am also using active balance menopause and sylk but nothing makes a difference. In addition also use coconut oil as so expensive. Off work and cannot do much although walking did help but now just so bad. I also teach pilates and do not want this to be effected. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stupidly I thought I had sailed through menopause with no major problems. Thanks in advance of any help or suggestions

Robin

Re: Vagifem vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »

Hi misty lynch,

I think it's unlikely to be over use of vagifem causing your problems. I'd be more inclined to think it's your previous inconsistent use and then having sex. Vaginal atrophy is unfortunately for life so treatment needs to be consistent and for life. Any lapses can lead to a flare up which needs more intensive treatment. I haven't used vagifem for my VA so can't advise but there are plenty of others who do and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.

Robin

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »

Hi a MistyLynch I'd say Robin is correct I use vagifem and it can actually be used nightly for some ladies ,myself being one of them,so as Robin says you do have to be persistent in your v.a regime or it comes back with a vengeance.Dont use all the other preparations at the same time as vagifem,so preferably vagifem at night then use something like yes or sylk in the daytime and also make sure you use a good lubricant for sex whichever position you choose lol (lucky thing I'm not there yet haha).
You could also try the estring which you pop inside and it delivers the estrogen for three months that might be better for you,I'm trialing that this week as I find the vagifem a pain every night and have problems obtaining it.
Hope it settles down for you xx

Robin

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »

I use estring misty lynch and find it excellent. It releases a constant steady dose of oestrogen with no fillers to cause irritation unlike the creams and vagifem. X

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »

Now see I didn't know that Robin I never thought of the fillers irritating me so that's a very good point.I was a bit wary of changing to the estring but now you've said that my confidence has climbed.watch this space haha.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »

That's why I'm using it I react really badly to the fillers. It's been miraculous for me. It doesn't affect the ph down there either so I rarely have to use balance active anymore.

I had another go at using the oestrogen cream thinly around my back passage but it still affected my vaginal ph and caused awful irritation. I guess it migrated as i walk even though I spread it really thinly.

Good luck Daisydot hope it works for you xx

Robin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

I only managed 2 days and it upset everything again

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »

Thanks so much Robin and I've got to ask do you remove before any jiggy,I'm sorry but I'm dying to ask lol in the interests of research you understand lol.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »

I haven't done a road test in that department yet although I do know it's ok to leave it where it is. That's what I'll try if ever I take the plunge......

:rofl:

Robin

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

Then rinse in lukewarm water afterwards. Although you don't even need to do that apparently. I think I would want to though even if I waited till the next morning
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:05:17 PM by Robin »

Daisydot

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »

I now have this horrible vision in my head of a hoopla stall  :rofl:

Robin

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »

:rofl:

Misty lynch

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »

Hi, thank you for all your suggestions. Just been through all 39 posts on the burning issue. My dilemma is to continue vagifem or stop.  I think from reading your suggestions I will continue as only 3 weeks into loading dose. If no improvement maybe string. The monalisatouch also seems appealing but a ways off that.

I just used coconut internally and some immediate relief. Also useful on the outside too. The active balance meno pessaries worked well the first day but not so much now. Sylk works too but so messy when using internally. Although sore on outside, main problem is internal dryness - dry as a dry thing! Hope the coconut oil helps internally and taking bicarbonate which I did for years in my twenties for uti. Also meant to say I have ulcerative colitis, diagnosed 18 mths ago, so things jet jammed up there anyway.

I am sorry that so many suffer from this problem but strengthened by the cameraderie and willingness to help others so promptly. Again many thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:25:24 PM by Misty lynch »