Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Postmenopusal bleed  (Read 1183 times)

lrlrip

Postmenopusal bleed
« on: June 11, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »

About 1 1/2 to 2 years ago I had a post menopausal bleed.  It started with very sensitive nipples and about a week later a light bleed for a few days.  I had a scan at the hospital which was fine and they an appointment with a consultant which was also fine.  It was put down to hormones.

Fast forward to last week and again very sensitive nipples and again on Saturday the start of what seems a light period.  I have an appointment at the doctors for something else on Wednesday so will again I presume have to go through all the scans etc.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Hurdity

Re: Postmenopusal bleed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »

Hi Irlrip

:welcomemm:

You haven't said how old you are and it would also help to know how long had elapsed since your previous period when you had the post-menopausal bleed 18 months to 2 years ago? In younger women it is more likely for ovaries to spontaneously resume action or it could just be them having a last fling especially also if you are younger. The signs of sensitive boobs are an indication that is is hormonal and therefore more reassuring. However, yes you should go for scans if you are not on HRT or mini pill or Mirena coil? All post-menopausal bleeding (ie after 12 months without a natural period - not counting if you're on POP etc) should be investigated just to rule out any endometrial thickening which occasionally can lead to cancer. The time is set at 12 months just to make sure woman don't slip through the net, so is good to ensure investigation even though for most women there is nothing wrong. Do you have fibroids maybe?

I know that wasn't the question so hopefully someone will come along who has experienced similar. Hope all goes well with the doc and investigations anyway :)

Hurdity x

lrlrip

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »

I am 59.  It is 15 months since the last bleed but nothing was done then as the consultant said if it happened within a year of seeing her that was fine.  I did tell my GP just to be on the safe side.  So the initial bleed was probably 2 years ago. I am not on HRT, pill, coil etc. and never have been.

I will see what the GP says tomorrow.

Thank you.

Mojo61

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »

Hi. Yes the same has happened to me. Light bleed Aug 2016 and then again about a month ago. First time around U/S showed fibroids and a thickened endometrium so I had a biopsy which was thankfully clear.

This time I had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed the fibroids but everything else was normal. My endometrium was a respectable 3.3mm. No biopsy was taken this time but a small cervical polyp was removed.

Please let me know how you get on.

lrlrip

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »

Thank you. Spoke to GP today who is arranging a scan. If ok like last time she says there is no need to go to the gynaecologist. I will just have to wait and see.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »

Do ask them anyway what they think is the cause of the bleed, if all is OK as before?

Hurdity x