Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wool Duvets, Pillows and Mattress Toppers, Can They Help Night Sweats?  (Read 3363 times)

Kathleen

Hello ladies.

I've read that all natural wool duvets, pillows and mattress toppers can help with temperature control so I wondered if  using them would reduce the intensity of night sweats?

Obviously there is a lot of info and advertising online but  I wondered if any of you had experience of these items.
They are quite expensive but the investment would be worth it for a good night‘s sleep.

I look forward to reading any comments ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Dotty

Kathleen- if you are still getting night sweats you need to increase your Oestrogel.

Kathleen

Hello Dotty.

Thank you for your reply and you are right of course! I have an appointment near the end of June and I will ask to increase my gel.  Clearly two pumps aren't cutting it but at sixty one and eight years post meno I had hoped that my current dose would be enough but maybe not.

Thanks again for your comment and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

I ditched our duvet years ago as it made me too hot.  Made me sneezy.  Now we have sheets, electric blanket and a coverlet.  On/off all night long  ::).  Wool supposedly 'breathes' ?  Maybe try it and report back as Chief Sheeps' Wool Tester ?  ;)

Wilks

I have a mattress with a “summer side” which has a layer of cotton just under the outermost cover and a “winter side” which has wool instead. This, I'm not wholly convinced that wool would keep you cooler.
A young male GP advised me to keep a cold wet towel by the bed and wrap it round my neck each time I overheated  ;D
Needless to say, I went for HRT instead.

Daisydot

What about a chillow pillow,I didn't like it but lots of people swear by themx

CLKD

Our mattress is like that but I can never remember which side is 'up'  ::)

I think the idea is that wool being natural 'breathes' ......

Dancinggirl

To answer the original question; I haven't tried wool duvets or mattress toppers but I do find that a feather duvet is better at temperature control than anything synthetic. I bought the temperature control duvet from John Lewis but found I got hotter with this than my 2.5 tog feather duvet. In winter I use a 4 tog feather duvet. The window in the bedroom is only closed when the temperature outside goes below 0 degrees.
I do have a cotton mattress protector that is filled with cotton wadding and this is nice and cool. I also have a cotton pillow protector.
I don't think you can get a Chillow any more but if you chill some water in the fridge, you can fill a hot water bottle with this and that can really help to cool down when you wake feeling hot and sweaty. DG x

CLKD

? frozen ice-blocks in a pillow case?

Daisydot

That'd be pretty uncomfortable CLKD  ;D
You can still buy JML chillow pillows from amazon £9.99 x

Kathleen

Hello again ladies.

Very interesting to read your comments and thanks for your input as always.

I have been doing some research and I'm going to start a new thread about melatonin production, disturbed sleep and type of bed linen as more ladies may be interested in what I've read.

Thanks again ladies and take care.

K.

Robin

Excellent news Kathleen. I'm keen to know more about melatonin

Robin