Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I'm back again - Clonidine Hydrochloride  (Read 2392 times)

alibeau

I'm back again - Clonidine Hydrochloride
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

So, I have been peri menopausal for about a year...  I am now 46 and my symptoms are intermittent.

Tried magnets, sage etc etc

Anyway, my hot flushes came back a few weeks ago, along with tiredness, low mood and headaches.  I never know whether the last three symptoms are just due to lack of sleep (due to flushes) or whether they are also hormone related....

Went to see GP yesterday who said it would be worth trying Clonidine as it has been known to help some women with hot flushes and headaches (which are my main two gripes) so I was happy to go along with this.  Slightly bothered that my usual BP is usually around 113/67, this morning it is down to 97/56 (in higher doses Clonidine was/is used to lower BP)....   We did discuss HRT but as I say GP felt Clonidine was worth a try....  She also mentioned Fluoxetine but I felt I would prefer to try one medication first so I know if that is working or not and I am hoping that my low mood is down to tiredness...

I have searched the forum and can't find much feedback re Clonidine.....

My mum who is 80 had a hysterectomy at 45 followed by HRT, breast cancer in her early 60's and has also had osteoporosis since her late 60's.....

I am currently taking a daily calcium tablet.....

I suppose I would just love to hear someone say 'Clonidine worked for me!'..... we are going on holiday in 6 weeks so just hoping that I will feel a bit more human by then..

Thanks for reading!

Ali x

Lisa1966

Re: I'm back again - Clonidine Hydrochloride
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »

Hi Ali, if u put clonidine in the search bar there are lots of posts xx

alibeau

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »

Thank you.

Ali x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:21:54 AM »

Two of my friends are on clonidine for hot flushes and it's worked well. However it doesn't combat any other Meno symptoms such as vaginal dryness, muscle aches etc. Were you offered HRT as at your age I feel you do need oestrogen to help protect your heart and bones up to the normal Meno age of 50/51.

Taz x

alibeau

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »

It's all a bit odd really as I had an appointment with this GP regarding a different health matter and I touched on Peri Menopausal symptoms and that I was trying Sage at that time.  She replied that HRT would be the answer.

So when I had my latest appointment I presumed she would put me straight on HRT but after our discussion about my symptoms/history etc she suggested I try Clonidine first and my impression was that she would give HRT but felt this was worth a try first....

I'm not seeing any improvement yet, early days though.....  I'll stick with it for a while as a lot of what I have read say it can take 2 - 4 weeks to kick in...

I've kinda got my head around the fact that there is no fast and easy fix to all this, it just the night flushes and lack of sleep I am finding hard to cope with.....

Equally having read a lot of posts on here, I realise I could be a lot worse off...

Thanks for replying.

Ali x

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »

The 'heart and bones' thing needs a bit of clarity, I think. Unless you are in early menopause, (POF, surgical menopause before age 45) there is no need to supplement for these reasons alone, and HRT is not recommended officially for these indications (yes - really)!

Technically, no one in a natural menopause at normal menopausal age is 'estrogen deficient' as this is a natural event and a natural part of the ageing process. (Perimenopausal at 46 is well within the range of 'normal'). It may be DESIRABLE to supplement for symptom relief, QOL etc, but the cardioprotective benefits have not been proven conclusively and there are individual risk factors for who may or may not develop osteoporosis regardless of total amount of lifetime estrogen exposure. Lifestyle factors do play a very big part as well.

Just putting this out there - hope you don't mind, ladies! xxxx
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:56:07 PM by Tempest »

alibeau

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »

Thank you Tempest.

I am still in two minds over the whole HRT thing so I do appreciate your reply, it gives balance to my thinking!

Ali x