Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Losing your looks  (Read 25389 times)

Hinari hot flush

Losing your looks
« on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »

How are or have you ladies coped with losing your looks and maybe no longer turning heads in the way you used to too? I wouldn't say I feel invisible yet but going out definitely takes longer and more effort. Also my assets look good with a push up bra so that helps draw attention  ;) lol but this getting old thing really isnt easy but  suppose I should stop being an old grump trying to look 10 years younger and pass the baton on to the next generation of young pretty things.

dulciana

Re: Losing your looks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »

How are or have you ladies coped with losing your looks and maybe no longer turning heads in the way you used to too? I wouldn't say I feel invisible yet but going out definitely takes longer and more effort. Also my assets look good with a push up bra so that helps draw attention  ;) lol but this getting old thing really isnt easy but  suppose I should stop being an old grump trying to look 10 years younger and pass the baton on to the next generation of young pretty things. 

I do know what you mean about our looks not being what they were, Hinari h.f.  But there's nothing to stop us being as beautiful as we can be at our stage in life, never mind the pretty young things.  We've every right to make the most of ourselves as we are, now, without any need at all to look ten years younger.   Beauty changes, but it doesn't go!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:35:24 PM by dulciana »

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »

I've never had much in the way of looks to lose, so I guess that's one advantage of being the plain, gawky kid in the corner.  My best mate who's been turning heads since she was about 8 is finding it much harder to cope.  Although she still manages to look stunning even though she thinks she doesn't, so maybe you don't look as bad as you think you do either!

Having said that, I do feel a lot more drab and frumpy than I used to.  I combat it by trying to stay as fit & healthy as possible.  I also make sure I drink loads of water - I really notice the difference.  If I have a day when I don't drink so much, my skin looks lifeless and I seem a lot more wrinky.  On days when I am well-hydrated, I look much 'brighter'.  Posture, grooming and a healthy lifestyle will all hopefully help us keep looking good even as we age.

Daisydot

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »

I have no ntentions of growing old gracefully I'll get that hair colour out pronto as and when required.Ive never worn make up as I tan nicely and I've always been a clothes horse lol.i think I look better now than I did in my 40s anyway,I think at our ages we have less stress so that all helps and of course that smile a day works wonders for our facial muscles so as the “young uns” say turn that frown upside down  :rofl:

Wilks

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »

I have no intention of growing old gracefully! I don't mind a few lines and a few grey hairs, and I keep fit which can help with looking and feeling youthful.
I think the becoming invisible thing is more about resigning oneself to beige, and wearing frumpy clothes. I've always avoided beige and always will, lol.
The only thing I dislike about my appearance is the extra couple of inches on my waist. I've always been straight up and down with small hips so it doesn't take much extra on the waist for me to feel shapeless!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »

Hi hinari hot flush

I've been out shopping today, and saw a lot young girls looking glamorous in
their summer gear, some wearing hardly nothing, which I've never at any age done,
and I think ‘god, wish I was that young again', BUT, I've also found out that if I've got
confidence then I don't think that, confidence is THE KEY, i think.
Don't get me wrong, I ent got confidence everyday, but when I have, I feel good.
I know I can't wear what the youngens do, but I can make myself look good and sexy,
if I want with what I do wear, and a smile too.
Just feel good about you. Not what everyone looks like, and I think confidence goes a
long way....with or without wrinkles.. ;D

Jd x
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:54:10 PM by jillydoll »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »

When I am old, I will wear purple ;-)

I don't look in the mirror. Occasionally I see that old woman looking back from a shop window  :o  ::)

Good diet. Gentle exercise.  Make-up that suits your age.  Hair colour that suits your age.  Hi or low-lights.  Hair length that suits your age, long hair sometimes doesn't suit ladies over 40.  I went to a hairdresser to fit on wigs prior to changing my hair style ;-). 

Check your foot wear.  Struggling on heels or in sloppy shoes can age a person!  If there is an area of the body that you don't like maybe buy a large handbag for example or bright shoes ;-)

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »

Check your foot wear.  Struggling on heels or in sloppy shoes can age a person! ..............

Good point, CLKD!    :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »

Many people don't realise that bad footwear puts a huge strain from top of the head all the way down  :o.  However much we like some footwear, it really shouldn't be available to the public  ::).

Good posture makes a different to how I feel, when tired I lean over and when I was very depressed, I walked, almost curled into a ball. 

Keeping good posture now avoids that 'dowagers' look in later years ;-).

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:52 PM »

Struggling on heels or in sloppy shoes can age a person!

If I had my way, I'd ban heels for any age!  SO bad for your legs and back.  And really high heels make you walk so awkwardly at any age.  I am suffering a lot from stiffness these days and some mornings I am staggering along looking about 20 years older than I am.  Last week, I saw a friend who is a year older than me and hasn't yet started peri and she was staggering along in 6 inch heels.  I realised that we had exactly the same walk, only mine is due to joint pain and hers is due to fashion.  And she thinks it makes her look good!!!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »

Yes Dorothy, I know what you mean,
I've seen girls walking in 4/5in heels hobbling around knees bent
looking like they've broke their backs, one false move and it's all over..lol
Wonder how many have actually broke their ankles from a miss footing.?
I wear wedges, but not that high..lol

Jd x

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 10:11:04 PM »

I've never been a looker so not too bothered about that. My body is a different story. I've always been proud of my body but now I cover it up - and I resent the deterioration.

Mrs Bella

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

Hello Hinari hot flush,
I am not coping! I can't stand aging. It's the increasing facial hair that is killing my whole vibe/style thing I have going on. Laser treatments are just not cutting it.
I have had a giggle at some of the other responses. I think I might start wearing purple as CLKD plans too when she gets older.
On a serious note, I don't really have a say. I can workout, pretty myself up ... but at the end of the day the aging process will win. I figure I just have to make the most of what I have now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:09:57 PM by Mrs Bella »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

Look at your genes too!   

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »

Hi hinari. I really hate getting old and recent Meno probs has made me feel bad about myself.  But I really make an effort and am now having my hair coloured professionally instead of doing it myself and I like the clothes I wear now. But its really hard looking in the mirror these days and the daylight is really unforgiving!  I turned 60 recently and  I hate it so much!  My sister in law was stupid enough to send a birthday card with 60 on it.  My husband got a lot of grief about his daft sister as I rarely see her.  Poor fella didn't deserve it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10