News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: M&S  (Read 7308 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: M&S
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »

So you don't like m&s  then penny farthing.?  :)
Lol,
I love your post.... ;D
I go to Aldi and Lidl too sometimes,
Can't get their bin bags anywhere else. They're the best.

Jd x  ;)

I walk through there and never see a thing I would spend my money on.  years ago I liked M and S but not any more. Just watching a prog about M and S with Fiona Phillips.  Theyre in trouble because they havent moved with the times.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

I think it depends what Marks you go in.  We have one near work that is full of their ‘old fashioned' range.  Yet the one near where I live is amazing, it's like a different store.

My nearest M and S is Norwich which, when it was all revamped a few years ago, was the largest in Europe so I imagine we get the full range of everything here.

Annika

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »

Just read your post CLKD thats my mum's M & S in Northants thats a real shame been there a long time if its the one I'm thinking about, still have some of my undies from there lasted a long time such good quality.  :(

Joaniepat

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »

The food hall is OK, so I hope we get to keep our branch, but as to the clothes, I can never work out who they are trying to sell to. The selection we get here in our smallish branch is either deadly dull or eye wateringly garish and tacky. And on the rare occasions they have something wearable, it is never there the next day. I sometimes walk through and ask myself "Who buys this stuff?". It seems as though they are trying to appeal to everyone and end up pleasing no-one. They have lost their identity when it comes to clothing.

Still get my knickers there, though!

JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »

That is so true penny farthing,
I think some years ago they said they were going to update
the clothes they sell, but think they've lost their touch.
Anyway, there are lots of shops around now, and on line,
that sell clothes for all ages a lot cheaper too.
and if people are struggling for money, then they're going to go for that
option. I used to love their pjs and night ware, but now it's not much good.
Debenhams aren't much better either.

Jd x

Snoooze

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:38 PM »

My nearest two M&S clothes shop sell awful clothes but their cafes are always full to the brim! There is a bigger one that sells trendier stuff.

I do like their pyjamas and my kids had pj's from there that washed really well and have retained their quality for years. I like their baby and kids clothes but they are pricey but I tend to buy them in their sales. Years ago when my kids were small they had fantastic sales where every item was £1! I got some fab stuff.

I've had shoes and boots which I have liked and which i often get in the sale as I have little feet!

I have bought school uniform and school shoes from there in the past but they kept their prices too high when supermarkets started selling uniforms much cheaper.

I don't rate their bra fitting service. They have always measured me incorrectly. Debenhams are better.

However, I do love their food halls and with their 'sparks' loyalty card you get a lot of money off offers.

I wouldn't particularly miss the clothing stores but I would miss the food halls.

Shadyglade

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »

I still like M&S, particularly Pur Una. However I was disappointed when they ditched the Indigo range as that was always my first choice.

I also shop a lot in Crew and Seasalt but mainly offer and sale stuff. I would really miss M&S if they went under.  :'(

Two hoots

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »

My M & S moved out of the town a few years ago into a retail park, it was a huge loss and started a sharp decline in  the town centre which now has charity shops, banks, betting shops and pound shops  :( however, the M & S in the retail park is much bigger but the clothes are aimed at the wrong age group, some very trendy/young fashion that always ends up in the sale. Another thing who stocks sooo many size 6 clothes, if I do find something I like they don't have it in my size  >:( and the website always sells the bigger sizes first.

As for the food hall, I went in yesterday to buy a thick sliced white loaf, they didn't have any or a gap on the shelf where it should have been, I don't know if they have stopped stocking it. You can't rely on them to have what you want, if I go to tesco I can almost guarantee that they have the same items every week with M & S I can't.

If they want to start making a profit, watch who is shopping there, ask they want to buy and stock it, it's not rocket science.

dulciana

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »

I never used to be a leggings-wearer but M&S's leggings converted me, as they're a nice fit and good fabric. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »

My M & S moved out of the town a few years ago into a retail park, it was a huge loss and started a sharp decline in  the town centre which now has charity shops, banks, betting shops and pound shops  :( however, the M & S in the retail park is much bigger but the clothes are aimed at the wrong age group, some very trendy/young fashion that always ends up in the sale. Another thing who stocks sooo many size 6 clothes, if I do find something I like they don't have it in my size  >:( and the website always sells the bigger sizes first.

As for the food hall, I went in yesterday to buy a thick sliced white loaf, they didn't have any or a gap on the shelf where it should have been, I don't know if they have stopped stocking it. You can't rely on them to have what you want, if I go to tesco I can almost guarantee that they have the same items every week with M & S I can't.

If they want to start making a profit, watch who is shopping there, ask they want to buy and stock it, it's not rocket science.

Quite agree Twohoots!  How many women are size 6?  isnt the average UK size  a 14?  they SHOULD be watching who shops there and what they want.  As you say, its not rocket science.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »

M&S used to be where I bought most of my trousers, t-shirts, jumpers, coats, jackets, nighties and undies, back in the 1980s - in other words, it provided all the quality key items for my wardrobe. These items would last as well because they were good quality fabrics and well made.  Then they started competing with Top Shop and other cheaper, trendy retailers in the hope of attracting younger people. The quality slipped, many of the designs were highly patterned and in dreary colours, so, as a result, I have rarely bought anything there for many years. I still go into the stores, wonder around, in the hope of finding a gem, but end up feeling very disillusioned.  If I do find something I want, invariably they don't have my size in stock and even if they do I have to try on several in the same size as they will all fit differently. !!!
The only thing I have bought in recent years has been the M&S cashmere sweaters and cardigans which were generally good.
They lost their way many years ago and tried to target the wrong customers. M&S used to mean good quality and fit and if I were their managing director I would fill that all important whole in the market that offers those good quality basics we all rely on.

Rant over!! >:(. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

Pur Una fitted me.  It was the go-to when DH needed to C.mas shop.  I haven't stepped in M&S for years.

Sizes have changed World wide.  Thinking that the women of the World are stupid !  Even when buying from 'cotton traders' jeans in size 10s are different [I may have said already].  I can't be bothered to get changed in a store which is why I buy in Charity shops, which can be taken back if they don't fit.

littleminnie

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

I think it depends what Marks you go in.  We have one near work that is full of their ‘old fashioned' range.  Yet the one near where I live is amazing, it's like a different store.

My nearest M and S is Norwich which, when it was all revamped a few years ago, was the largest in Europe so I imagine we get the full range of everything here.

littleminnie

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »

Ooooh Norwich.  I like the ‘Strangers' coffee shop.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »

Haven't been to Norwich for about 4 years.  You'll find us in the antique shops  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4