Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast mole - really worried  (Read 5245 times)

Dorothy

Breast mole - really worried
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »

I've had a mole on one breast for decades but in the last few weeks, it's started to itch/twinge and seems to be changing shape.  I've rung for a doctor's appointment but it's going to be the end of June before I can be seen.  I'm really worried about the delay - will a month wait make a difference to the outcome or am I just over-worrying?

Dancinggirl

Re: Breast mole - really worried
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »

Did you explain what you wanted the appointment for? You need reassurance so I would get back in with the surgery and ask to be seen sooner. Anything to do with the breasts must be seen quickly. Let us know how you get on.
 DG xx

dangermouse

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

Boots do a mole check scan for about £30 or 40.

I've asked my GPs several times to refer me for all the new or growing moles I've had but they keep fobbing me off and saying I have to go private unless I take a photo and another in a few weeks to say it's changed. Their disinterest made me not think they need checking but if I had one that looked like the pics on the mole websites the I'd do the Boots screening.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »

All moles should be checked by the GP or Practice Nurse. You may be able to see a Nurse quicker than a GP.  One should not have to pay for a check.  Could you ring your local Breast Screening Clinic and see if the mobile van is in your area any time soon? 

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »

I told the receptionist but she was really unhelpful.  It's a small surgery so she is the only receptionist so not possible to ring back and speak to someone else.  I basically don't have any option except to wait but I'm worried that the month wait isn't going to help if it's serious.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:20 PM »

I always find that if you come up against a wall ( receptionists at surgeries can be wonderful at stonewalling) then it's best to put things in writing. Why not write to the GP explaining your concern and tell them that the earliest appointment offered to you is 4 weeks away. Ask whether you should be concerned about this mole considering it has recently changed size, is causing discomfort ( intense itching)and happens to be on your breast ?
I suspect you will be offered an appointment pretty quickly once this letter is read.  ??? DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:05 PM »

When I have had a long wait for an appointment for either me or my children and I feel it can't wait that long I insist we are seen earlier. 

A suspicious mole is a valid reason to ask for an earlier one, also I realise you are worried but I have had a couple of nasty looking moles removed and when histology report came back they were normal, but please get it checked sooner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:54:41 PM by Tinkerbell »

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »

Thanks for your advice.  I will try to get seen earlier, although I think all the post is opened by the same receptionist, so I'm not sure a letter will do much good!  I've had a look at the Boots mole service, but they won't deal with one that is covered by your bra, and anyway, I'd still want it looked at by a doctor I think.

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »

Dorothy you should pop in and speak to her sometimes they are more amenable face to face good luck I hope it goes well for you xx

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »

Things are looking more hopeful.  The surgery is actually a branch one from the main hospital in our nearest town.  The branch surgery receptionist told me that the only way I could be seen at the main surgery was to turn up in person and wait in case there was a free space.  She said there might not be and I might have to turn up several days running before I could be seen.  I have caring responsibilities and there is no way I can spend days sitting around at a hospital in the hope I can be seen, so I had given up that idea.

This morning, I rang the main surgery direct and that receptionist was really helpful.  She said they take same day appointments at 8am every morning, so I have to ring (NOT visit in person) then to see if I can get one.  She said I should be able to be seen tomorrow, Friday or Tuesday and if that doesn't work, I can ask for an 'urgent' appointment if I am really worried and should be able to be seen by the end of next week at the latest.  And it will be a set appointment time, so I can just turn up for that time, not wait all day.

So I am going to be poised by the phone for 8am tomorrow!  Very relieved.  I know it's 'probably' nothing, but I'd rather find out sooner than later.  Plus it's so uncomfortable, it's driving me mad!

Not very impressed by my first experience of my new surgery though. (I've just moved and registered)  Hope the actual GPs are more helpful than the admin staff!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »

Our surgery have on the day release appointments and it is for things such as a mole needing to be checked.
You are right to get it checked early, it is probably fine but I do have a relative who was diagnosed with early stage Melanoma several years ago , it was excised and no further treatment was needed.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »

We are getting the stone-walling effect too .......... regarding Himself and possible gout/cellulitis ......... they offered him a call from the GP to discuss because his results for uric acid suggest 'no further action'  >:(

Let us know how you get on.  Is there a Practice Nurse you could see?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:08:24 PM by CLKD »

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »

We are getting the stone-walling effect too .......... regarding Himself and possible gout/cellulitis ......... they offered him a call from the GP to discuss because his realists for uric acid suggest 'no further action'  >:(

Let us know how you get on.  Is there a Practice Nurse you could see?

I have no idea if there is a practice nurse I could see - I've only just transferred to this surgery and information is non-existent.  Every other surgery I've joined has had some kind of leaflet explaining what services are available, giving details of opening times etc, but this one has nothing.

I hope you are able to get somewhere with your GP.  It's so frustrating when no one seems to want to help.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »

Does your Surgery have a web-site, or maybe contact a local Pharmacist to see what options are available in your area?

Do you like where you live now?

Snoooze

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

Hi Dorothy,

Do you have an iphone? There is an app called SkinVision that you take a photo of your mole and it analyses it and lets you know risks etc. I haven't used it myself but I saw it on an article about melanoma.

Or do you have an NHS Walk In Centre near you? I use them a lot as it's hard to get appointments at my GP. If the Walk in Centre feels you need to be seen as a matter of urgency they phone your GP and get you a same day appointment.

Pages: [1] 2