Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Switching from pills to patches  (Read 1123 times)

Scarlet108

Switching from pills to patches
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »

Hi all

I am new to the forum and would appreciate people's advice.

I'm 50 and have been on Femoston 1/10 for a little over a year now.

I am not someone who usually likes to take meds of any kind, so was pleasantly surprised (and relieved!) to have taken to it really easily and had no particular side effects, apart from the odd month where my boobs and cramps are worse than usual.

I am perimenopausal and didn't suffer from hot flashes before I went on HRT, but had everything else, and felt utterly awful for around 6 years.

I don't feel fantastic like some women on HRT. It feels like it has 'taken the edge off' the symptoms, but I'm not full of the 'joys of spring'! However I am sure nothing will take all of the symptoms away, so will settle for how I feel now - just OK.

I have recently had chest pain, and started worrying that because I was taking oral HRT, I was going to get and embolism/clots on my lungs and started thinking about patches - Estradot and Utrogestan combo.

I know getting the right HRT can be so hit and miss, and am afraid to mess with something that is working fine. I am in a quandry about what to do..

I wondered if any of you ladies were in my position,  would you stay on the Femoston or change to the patch/pill combination and risk upsetting your system...?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks!

Dancinggirl

Re: Switching from pills to patches
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

The chest pain may just be a bit of heartburn due indegestion or acid reflux as this can often start to happen when we hit menopause.

Many women love the Utrogestan with Oestrogel or oestrogen patches and it could be worth giving this try if you can persuade your GP to prescribe this. I personally did not do well with Utrogestan - erratic bleeding, a rash on my face and feeling sedated are quite typical side effects. However, if you are getting a reasonable amount of relief from most of your symptoms then perhaps stick with the Femoston as it is a good hrt with one of the gentler progesterones.

Hrt is not a ‘cure all' so it can sometimes be a mistake to rock the boat and change hrt type. Why not look at your diet and change what and how you eat? Cut out as much sugar as possible and have smaller meals more regularly through the day. If you feel stressed or anxious then practising some relaxation techniques can be very helpful.
Try chewing a Gaviscon tablet after each meal to see if the chest pain is better.
Keep us posted. DG x

Scarlet108

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl

Thanks so much for your input and for your welcome to MM!

Its true nothing is a magic cure and on balance think I'll stay with what is working for the moment, and maybe review things if/or when the Femoston stops working.

Dont think I could bear any more unnecessary disruption!

My lifestyle is super healthy and do incorporate meditation etc so hopefully the DVT risk is low with the tablets....

Hope things going well for you at this mind, body and soul bending stage of life... ;D

Sx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »

The DVT risk is very, very low unless you are overweight, a smoker and drink too much alcohol. The risks of HRT are always highlighted but the benefits are payed down. 
The benefits:
Reduction of menopause symptoms - allowing a better quality of life.
Maintains bone density, so prevents osteoporosis for the long term
Helps to maintain a healthy heart.
Reduced risk of bowel cancer.
Helps to prevent urogenital atrophy.
Maintains skin and muscle strength.
Improves health and wellbeing  DG x

Scarlet108

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »

Yes so many benefits...thanks for the  reassurance about DVT.

I am still reeling by how hard it has hit me. I thought having had an easy time of it period-wise all my life, I'd sail through it.

Also amazed how little is really done to understand and help women with this. If men had the problem there'd be a cure in the morning...!

I remember a GP telling me wild horses wouldn't drag her away from HRT, and that her mother stayed on it until her 70s!! So that was reassuring...!  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »

scarlet - do let us know how you get.  DG x

Scarlet108

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

Will do! Thanks  :)