Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estring and smear test - do I have to take it out 48 hours before?  (Read 1614 times)

ancient runner

Hi all
Got a letter inviting me for a smear test today and have got an appointment in two days. The leaflet talks about stopping vaginal medications, creams, lubes, two days before as it can affect the result. Slightly anxious about the state I might be in if I lose my Estring for two days though I guess I could instead stick a vagifem in now and that'd keep to the rules.
Anyone know if the Estring would cause a problem? It's just silicon and oestrogen - nowt else.
I've got about an hour before I need to do something about it!

Tinkerbell

Re: Estring and smear test - do I have to take it out 48 hours before?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »

Sorry don't know, but I am due one this year and two days without Vagifem, I use it every day, will not be good!

Robin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »

Hi ancient runner,

I don't know for certain but would imagine it would be ok to remove just before the test as no residue would be left behind unlike when creams are used.

The instructions that come with estring aren't very good. I wasn't sure about using anything else down there at the same time or whether I would have to remove it but my menopause doctor says it's ok to use both together if need be.

Hopefully somebody here knows for certain re the smear test. I suspect there are several of us who could do to know

Robin

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »

I think you could simply take it out just before the test. There is nothing in the Estring that would effect the test.  DG x

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »

Ladies do you get a prescription for this estring then put it in yourself or does gp have to do it,I'd rather do it myself actually,hope you don't mind me asking and is it sore to put in or would you lube up first,many thanks xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »

You put the Estring in and out yourself.  You squeeze it together and slip it in - it tends to sit around the neck of the uterus. You change the Estring every 3 months but you can also take it out to wash it or when having sex if you wish.
DG x

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:56 AM »

Morning DG that's good to know I must have been thinking of the Mirena when I thought it was a gp job.thank you for that info much appreciated xx

Robin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:46:21 AM »

Morning Daisydot,

Some gps do put them in but there's no need to as it's fairly straight forward. I do it myself. I didn't use lube to ease it in but it would be ok to. Put it onto yourself rather than the ring though as it can get slippy when you squeeze it if it's wet and it might pop out if your fingers and fly across the room. That happened to me after rinsing it and trying to insert it whilst still a bit wet.

Robin
X

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »

You've made me laugh Robin I can just imagine that happening to me and it pinging across the room with four big cats diving after it 😂 I'm going to have a chat with meno consultant about it next week when I go many thanks for that info xx

Robin

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »

It gave me a laugh when I did it. Was like a scene from menopausal Bridget jones. 😂