Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello, new here. Help please, with peri/Mirena and possible HRT?  (Read 1060 times)

GiggsC

Hi everyone, I am new here so I am sorry if I am posting all this in the wrong place, but I would really appreciate some help/advice  :) (sorry if I ramble).

Bit of background: I am 47 and I have had a Mirena for 8 years, this current one has been in situ for just over 3 years. Over the last couple of years I've been getting peri symptoms; irregular periods (they got lighter but never stopped after I first had the Mirena fitted), joint pains, mood swings, disturbed sleep, horrendous tiredness, hot flushes, night sweats, headaches etc etc.

After experiencing quite a bit of spotting between periods, and sometimes light bleeding/pink discharge right through till my next period I went to see my GP. She did a few blood tests to rule stuff out, and sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound which showed a couple of smallish cysts. I've now been referred to gynae at the hospital, and tomorrow I have an appt for an endrometrial biopsy, and for them to remove my Mirena and replace it with a new one. The problem is I am absolutely terrified, as when my last one was replaced it was somehow stuck and the procedure was very longwinded and so unbelievably painful that I came out in a cold sweat and started to shake and cry uncontrollably (and I normally deal with pain fairly well). I swore I would never get this one replaced after being so traumatised, but on digging around on the internet I've found that a Mirena can actually help with menopause symptoms, so would it be best to let them replace it? I am so frightened of the possible pain again though, and I know that is going to make me so tense and so maybe even worse. Is there anything at all I can ask for to make the procedure less painful?

Also (sorry) is it too early to think about HRT? Some days I really struggle, and as well as the symptoms I mentioned above I am finding the vaginal itching such a problem...I have never, ever mentioned that to anyone else, it's something I find hard to talk about. What with that, and finding that I sometimes leak very slightly if I can't get to the loo quickly enough, the urge seems to come on very suddenly and strongly lately, I feel as though I don't own my body any more and I am becoming more and more closed off and my libido is at zero. I'd love to feel a bit more 'normal' again.

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can give  :)

Tinkerbell

Re: Hello, new here. Help please, with peri/Mirena and possible HRT?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »

The Mirena doesn't help with menopause symptoms apart from helping with problematic bleeding in the peri stage and providing the progesterone component if you want to use HRT, it's easy then as you can use Estrogel or estrogen patches.
I definitely think you would benefit from HRT, your symptoms are very meno!
If you are getting sore and itchy, you are probably starting with VA, get some Vagifem prescribed for that.

When you go for your hospital appointment do tell them of the problems with your first Mirena fitting, hopefully they can reassure you.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm Giggs

Firstly, I would contact the clinic where you are having the biopsy and Mirena replacement and request some an anaesthetic as your last experience was so painful and traumatic - an anaesthetic should be made available.
If they really won't consider an anaesthetic, then ask your GP for something that will help e.g. a sedative and some string painkillers to take befire the procedure.
Secondly, the Mirena is great as part of hrt as you only need to add in some oestrogen as gel, patch or pills - gel or patch are the best options. The Mirena will help to reduce any problematic bleeding and if you have found the Mirena good so far then I'd stick with this option especially if you do have cysts.

It could well be good to add in some oestrogen to help with your peri symptoms but you need the all clear from the Gynae first.
Good luck and keep us posted. DG x

GiggsC

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »

Thank you so much Tinkerbell and DG for your replies, that is really helpful. For some reason I had it in my head that any sort of HRT wouldn't even be considered for me at this stage, I don't know why I thought that, but I am desperate to feel a bit more normal. My tiredness has been off the scale today, I never used to be like this and it's making me feel so low.

I feel a bit more hopeful about things now, so again, thank you  :) x