Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Urethral Caruncle - Vagifem - Dilation Procedure  (Read 4409 times)

purplenanny

Urethral Caruncle - Vagifem - Dilation Procedure
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »

My recent smear test was extremely painful (razor blades come to mind!) and GP referred me to Urology.
I have a urethral caruncle which can be removed by dilation and cauterization under local anesthetic which the consultant said would be mildly painful.
He also prescribed Vagifem.
Apparently the vagifem(for life) will help 50% and the procedure 95%
As I have only minor symptoms I asked if I really needed the op. Consultant said possibly not necessary but he would give me a date and not to worry if I declined. My letter has just arrived.
I am so unsure as to what to do. I am scared to have the procedure which seems extreme, not sure about vagifem and could do with some advice if anyone has had experience of this please.
Thank you
PN x

Dyan

Re: Urethral Caruncle - Vagifem - Dilation Procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »

Hi purplenanny,
So sorry to hear about this. I don't have experience of it but I'm sending you a big   :bighug:
And thinking of you X

purplenanny

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »

Hello Dyan, thank you very much
PN x

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »

You're welcome X

Jenna

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »

Hi purplenanny, I'm sorry to hear your news. I think I am correct in saying Countrybumpkin suffered with this and was really helped by using Vagifem.

I can't get the search facility to work at the moment to check, but it has definitely been discussed on here before. Hopefully you can find more information once we can search again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Maybe give the Vagifem 6 weeks or even 3 months and review.  Using every night for 2/3 weeks, some ladies need two doses occasionally.  Then every other night or as necessary.  This is a good way of easing those razor blade symptoms! 

The outer vaginal lips often get dry too, KY Jelly applied little and often helps me. 

Jenna

purplenanny

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »

Thank you Jenna and CLKD.

I am wondering if the hospital will be willing to defer the procedure. It just seems to be extreme before trying the vagifem.
Has anyone experienced side effects from Vagifem?
PN x

Jenna

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »

Hi purplenanny,

Vagifem irritated me, so I use Estriol Cream for VA. There is also Ovestin (also a cream) which is stronger, but you use less.

Personally, I would try the Vagifem and or estriol cream before having an op. Having an op before doing that seems a bit extreme to me. Perhaps you could discuss it further with the Urologist to decide the best way forward.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »

I would think that there is the opportunity of deferring.  It's not Life threatening.  Maybe see how you are in 6 weeks and make another appt. to discuss with the Consultant?

I use Ovestin with success.

purplenanny

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

Thank you ladies. I have decided to wait and try the Vagifem first.  I will ask for Ovestin if that proves to be a problem.
I agree it seems hasty to have the procedure first without trying the alternative.
Great advice as always, thank you.
PN x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »

Vagifem can irritate when first started but I found Ovestin burned horribly - I think it's the fillers in any of the local oestrogen treatments that tend to give irritation.
I had the dilation (stretching) procedure which was a bit unpleasant but not terrible - however it only helped for a couple of weeks and things went back again.
Vagifem is the best but some like to add in some Overton as well. I use Vagifem every 3 days and local vaginal moisturiser daily as well.
Make sure you drink plenty of water every day. DG x

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »

Maybe see how you get on with the cream and only go for the op if you need further help?

purplenanny

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 05:00:49 PM »

Thanks very much DG and Dorothy, I will ask my gp  for Overton.
Which moisturising cream do you use DG?
I haven't started the vagifem yet! I am so bad with new things!
PN x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »

SYLK is my favourite moisturiser but many like the YES products - it'll be trial and error till You find what works for you. You can buy these moisturisers online - chemists don't always have them in stock and other brands like Replens are expensive and can be messy.
Good luck. DG x