Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Uti again ? Doctor says no  (Read 6847 times)

Nellie Noo

Uti again ? Doctor says no
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:06:37 PM »

Last week Had all the symptoms of a uti .. back ache , frequency , pain in tummy so went to doctors . She gave me some anti biotics and said to not to take them until the urine sample came back. It did the next day ... negative for bacteria . But a week on have still got all the symptoms
I take hrt and  vagifem .... do i take the anti biotics ? Because i cant carry on like this . Tia xx

Wilks

Re: Uti again ? Doctor says no
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »

Hi there, a couple of years ago I repeatedly got symptoms of a UTI but each time I tested negative for an infection. A couple of times I also thought I had thrush, but again, no evidence of infection.
Since I started HRT it's hardly happened but when it does, I find that a warm wheat bag (over my clothing) helps soothe the pain. That was advice from a friend who is a senior nurse.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »

Take some pain relief.  I find that 2 Nurofen then 90 mins. later 1 tablet, eases symptoms. 

If the sample is 'no growth', then you are putting your body in danger because when you need ABs, they are less likely to work.  Up the vagifem!! because 10 may not be enough, it used to be 25 ....... go back to nightly and perhaps for 2 nights, put 20 inside.

I can't understand your GP giving you ADs that might not be necessary, such a waste.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »

Thank you ladies ... my instinct was not to take the anti biotics but am so uncomfortable !  So ..if its not .. a uti .. is it VA ?? 
(I will heed  your advice and use a wheat bag ..good idea ... need something . 👍  And yes Clkd .. i will increase the vagifem . Heres hoping for some relief . Thanks x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »

You will let us know?  Get some pain relief down you and rest.  I find a warm bath helps sometimes.  ABs will relieve symptoms ....... up the vagifem too, in fact put some up there now  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »

Nellie Not

Are you avoiding caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol?  Are you drinking lots of water? Are you using vaginal moisturisers?
Vagifem and HRT are often not enough - these UTI type symptoms need to be constantly managed.
Do try drinking half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in a glass of water morning and night for 2-3 days to see if things improve when your urine is really neutralised. 
 DG x

Nellie Noo

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »

Thank you for the good advice DG. I know for sure  i dont drink enough water ...
And although ive got sylk  in the bathroom ive been a bit neglectful in using it recently. I had a bad do last august with an awful  uti ( again, no infection shown)  and i suppose ive been complacent .
Will definately try the bicarb . Such a horrible sensation .. and the pain ! Ouch ! Uti s are pretty horrible . X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »

It isn't an urinary tract infection though, the sample came back 'no growth'.   However, vaginal atrophy mimics UTIs really well  >:( so get back to loading everything you can get down there.  Did you try a dose of Vagifem mid-afternoon to get the area moist?  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry ....... inside and out.

Get some pain relief into you B4 bed.  Let us know how you are in the morning.  My paternal Gran swore by bicarb of soda for a lot of things including burns.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 01:38:38 AM »

I had no idea that vaginal atrophy invoved the bladder and all its connected bits ! I thought the doctor had given vagifem  to me because when she examined me last year.. i was experiencing some dryness . Its a bit of a misleading name 🤔 how confusing . I dont usually google anything ( worry too much ) but now having looked on the net ..i think im getting a better picture of what it involves .. and it doesnt sound good ! 😩 x

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »

I remember years ago I used to go to my pharmacist in Spain armed with a urine sample and I always tested negative and couldn't understand it and one day he said to me you must see gp as it will be your ladybits,I was really embarrassed and couldn't wait to get out the shop and didn't think to ask him any advice on what he meant,I so wish I had now I'd have saved myself so much grief.V.A is so horrible and I believe most of these ladies on bladder forums are suffering from v.a and don't know it,they are having invasive procedures done and being left with worse problems due to bacteria being introduced during all this fannying around and at the end of it all being referred to pain clinics after all these instills and stretches leave them in even more pain.it took me 6 months at least to heal my bladder to an acceptable level and they will never get me down that route again.You must get your urine ph levels as neutral as you can and the only way to do this is by not eating acidic foods and drinking fresh water with a wee bit of lemon juice in it,research bladder friendly foods and follow this to the letter.as DG says no caffeine no spicy foods no perfumes downstairs,bottle wash after peeing and wash after pooing.buy bleach free toilet tissue,you can get from amazon,I have to do all these things,at first it's a pain then as time goes on it's as natural as taking your hrt.if your still suffering do a vagifem boost for 14 nights again and every single day use that lubricant till it settles down again,it's a lifelong curse now so you have to keep working at it,I've developed sensitivity to 4 antibiotics now after overuse of them so I'm scared of getting sick and needing an antibiotic now as it'll be a struggle to find a friendly one,don't let that happen like I did,keep on top if it yourself the docs are useless.good luck xx

Nellie Noo

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »

Thank you daisydot for your reply and for being so honest ! Very Much appreciated . I hear what you say about all the avasive testing. I went through a similar thing years ago when i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia . (Passed from gp to hospital back to a physio then to a counsellor ???!! Not one thing helped and probably made it so much worse !! )will do all the things suggested but can i just ask whats  a bottle wash ?? Xx

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »

Sorry nellienoo  should have explained better,it's just when you pee use a little bottle of lukewarm water afterwards,I use a kids squirty water bottle,it just removes any urine residue that may burn or irritate,don't go internal with it just the outside areas.it was recommended in Angela kilmartins book and I found it very soothing.I know it's all a bit overwhelming just now but you'll get plenty advice and support on the forum.
when I had m.e I didn't know and had all that bad runaround stuff being told  it was in my head etc,I then moved to England actually and had a fantastic gp who told me what I had,he said blood tests showed I'd had cocksackie b virus for all those years and no one ever told me.
I hop3 some of those things mentioned help you you must be having a lot of discomfort and remember stress makes the bladder really naughty too so try meditation to realax it's hard to get into at first as your mind really does wander,ive done some amazing shopping lists in the past while meditating 😂 but you will master it and start to get the benefits if you persist.a year ago I was a wreck now I'm just a bit of a car crash some days lol you'll get there xx

Nellie Noo

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »

Thank you so much .. cant tell you how i appreciate your and the other ladies advice and caring attitudes .. means a lot when the husband really doesnt get it or cant be bothered to understand 🙁 my two daughters and grandson are hard work too.. plus my elderly mother needs me. Feel so desperate some days and very much alone . If it wasnt for this forum .. id be in tiny bits ..
Ive always fancied learning the art of meditating so maybe nows the time . Thank you x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 11:00:27 AM »

How many times a week are you using the Vagifem?

Nellie Noo

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »

Well i was using it twice a week, but at the moment ( from last friday )  am using... every night . Last august when i had similar pain,  the doctor prescibed it for me and i felt better within weeks. It was a life saver then but it hasnt stopped this happening this time 🙁 but hey , i know i would probably be in a far worse state than i am . How the heck did women cope before hrt and vagifem ???
Pages: [1] 2 3