Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mefenamic Acid  (Read 3851 times)

Charys

Mefenamic Acid
« on: April 28, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »

Hi guys,

I've been offered this by my GP as a 'stand by' med to get me through some of the heavier couple of days each month, if needed. (Some may recall I've posted on here before about heavy periods in perimeno) I've never taken anything to slow down the flow of a period before, and am a tad of an anxious person about trying new medications.

Firstly, and I know this is very commonly prescribed, so nothing special about the med I'm talking about here to you seasoned peeps, but has any experienced side-effects? (I mean a few small ones, ok, I can cope with that...but anything more severe)
Has it worked?
Did it upset your stomach? (I have also been offered something to use if it unsettles my stomach)

I thought Mefenamic was for painful periods and Tranexamic for heavy flow? How do they differ?

Thanks everso ladiessss

Stephjkm

Re: Mefenamic Acid
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:20:35 AM »

I too had dreadfully heavy periods that were seriously affecting my life. I initially tried tranexamic acid (I got an extra 10 minutes between tampon changes) and then added mefenamic acid. They made no difference at all. Next option was Qlaira but that also made no difference. Eventually I relented and took my gp's original advice to have a mirena iud inserted, wish I'd done it years ago.

I had no side effects from the mefenamic acid but no noticeable effect either.

Charys

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:25:47 AM »

Thanks Steph,

I am wondering though why I've been suggested Mefenamic and not tranexamic? My GP rang me just before she went off for a few weeks break, so can't ask her that question right now. Interesting that you eventually ended up with mirena anyway.

aspie65

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »

I took mefenamic acid many years ago when my periods first started and were stupidly heavy and painful.  It helped me a lot with not side effects except drowsiness if I took a lot.  In the end I went on the pill which was much more effective at controlling the issue.  I would give it a go and see if it helps tbh.

Charys

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:36 AM »

Thanks Aspie...I will try and a bit of drowsiness won't bother me....however I still don't understand the different reasons for tranexamic and mefenamic being prescribed? I don't have painful periods, not one twinge (luckily). I was just wondering if anyone knew the different reasons they are prescribed and the differences between the two ?

aspie65

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

Tranexamic acid is better at reducing blood loss, mefenamic is better for pain, from what I know.

Charys

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »

Yep, thats what I thought. I think I'll query it with the GP (when she returns).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »

I wish that there had been anything when I was younger.  Clots. Heavy bleeds.  PAIN++  :'(

Charys

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »

Well, yeah....actually.....my Mum said there was Ponstan Forte in her youth - were you offered that ? Actually....I've just looked it up....that is the same as mefenamic.  ::)

aspie65

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »

Yes I had ponstan in the late 80s, worked wonders for me.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:53 PM »

Nope.  'feminax' : OTC: rings a bell which was the drug which stopped all the pain, then it was withdrawn for years  :'(

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »

I didn't have any side effects, but it didn't have any effect at all!  Tried for several months and then gave up as it wasn't doing anything.

Charys

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »

Ha ha ok !

I've just seen that you can buy transexamic acid , without prescription, from behind the counter at Boots.

I wish my GP was here ! I don't know if to buy some and try that first. I don't know or understand the mechanism how these two work. I'm a bit of a fearful medication taker - you may have noticed - and I need to understand them first.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »

Speak to the Pharmacist at 'boots'  :-\

Charys

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »

OK, I've rung a doctor to query this, not my usual one.

She said that mefenamic is the 'first line' for heavy periods, and then they move onto tranexamic if that doesn't work. Clearly the practice uses this as a general policy. I'm still not getting it as it seems to contradict what everyone else says and the information on this site....but ah well. I looked up tranexamic at Boots, and I can buy it online, but it says 'not for use in irregular periods' and mine certainly are. So, anyone know why that would be ?

By the way, I've not even had a period yet to use the Mefenamic.
Pages: [1] 2