Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Conflicting information - I don't get it!  (Read 2639 times)

willowrannoch

Conflicting information - I don't get it!
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:24:13 PM »

I'm 49. Perimenopausal. Am going cold turkey as I'm fed up adding more ingredients into the cake mix from hell.  Due to hormonal migraines during periods, years ago the remedy was prescribed at taking the combined pill continuously so I didn't get a period.  Worked fine for me but considered bad practice now.  After having kids, hormones all over the place and despite not needing contraception I was prescribed mini pill for the migraines - it wasn't effective enough.  Then I was prescribed HRT, still not working well enough. 

I can't understand the science behind these prescriptions though.  I mean if my body is still producing hormones in various levels, at various times then anything additional with hormones isn't going to level it out, it's only going to add more.  I recently attended a Menopause cafe where I asked this exact question and was told HRT should not be prescribed unless your periods have stopped (this was from a menopausal doctor), however it was my GP and gynaecologist who considered that it was still an option.  I'm losing faith in who to believe.  Surely the only sure way to level out the hormones is to remove what's producing them and then take a consistent daily dose.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Conflicting information - I don't get it!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »

Hi willow ran ouch

I agree with you.
I stopped my hrt because of migraines but as soon as my hormones
Dropped I got all my symptoms back, started it again, symptoms disappeared.
So now I keep taking a low dose to keep them ‘on a level ‘
So yeah, agree with you.
We have enough to contend with without having conflicting advice all the time, >:(
And these people are supposed to know these things.

I'm sure someone will try to answer your questions (who are more clued up than me)
They're absolutely brilliant on here, and I'm sure they'll understand better than me.

Jd x :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you pop the HRT suggested to you into the search box on here, you will see what others have found?  As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagaina [we have threads on that aplenty!], as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Think about why you went to the GP for advice?    The idea is for the hormones to be replaced in order to relieve symptoms.  It really can be Trial and Error.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »

Hi willowrannoch. Sorry that you are finding it difficult at the moment and conflicting information is really annoying I agree.

I am surprised that a menopausal doctor would consider HRT only necessary after periods stop. Many women have debilitating symptoms during the years before this and need help from HRT. I can't offer you advice on the science of it all but one of our more knowledgeable members will be along soon to help with that aspect I'm sure.

Which HRT were you prescribed and what menopausal symptoms are you experiencing?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

willowrannoch

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »

Hi folks, thanks for your replies.  I cannot remember what HRT was prescribed to me and I've not been on it for a couple of years now.  I feel I'm doing as well as I was whilst I was on it so would prefer to not put any more things in my body if they are not doing the job well enough.  To be honest the doctor was saying HRT was beneficial generally however I asked a very specific question and that was the reply - it was an open forum and I'm sure on a one-to-one the advice would have been more in depth.  I was first diagnosed perimenopausal about 3/4 years ago and things have calmed down a bit. But my question remains - the hormones are obviously fluctuating so not entirely dropping - does adding more to the mix help if my body takes it upon itself to have a wee hormone surge (as it frequently does).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »

From what I have read on here, HRT can help until the ladies hormones decide to join in!

Are you coping with any symptoms?

willowrannoch

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:21:30 PM »

I am coping well enough.  About 18 months ago I felt so bad from a migraine that I just wanted all my woman bits removed, womb, ovaries the lot.  Obviously that is fairly drastic and at the time the GP said there were certain medicines I could take that would just switch my ovaries off so the effect would be the same as a hysterectomy.  I still go to the gynaecologist every six months on a watch and see how I am doing because I'm doing OK just now and feel really hesitant about adding anything to the mix to send me into turmoil again.  I take Black cohosh and St Johns Wort (Menomood I think the tablet is called) and whilst I still get the occasional migraine, I'm really doing OK.  I keep fit, hardly drink, never smoked, eat healthily and I've a lot to be thankful for.  But I'm still cross at the lack of consistent advice out there for something that will affect half the world population.  The event I was at, there were women who were going through all kinds of hell and I felt so sorry for them having to cope whilst holding down a job, bringing up kids, keeping the plates spinning and some had travelled a distance just for advice because it's so sketchy from place to place.  So yeah, just now I'm doing fine. It might sound weird but I feel more in tune with my body and try to do what it asks of me.  e.g. just at start of last period it was telling me to eat chocolate - I had about three bars and this time, no migraine.  Sometimes it tells me that I need a nap so I'm in the fortunate position that I can get my head down for ten minutes then get on with the rest of my day. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »

Hi willowrannoch

Yes, it seems to me that if we keep taking hrt, adding hormones into ourselves
then we are going to get fluctuating hormones all the time. Therefore, we are up and down
On this rollercoaster until one day our hormones bottom-out,and we find ourselves on an
even keel.
But for all the women who can't cope with their menopause symptoms because of fluctuations ,
then adding hormones seems to be the answer. Then they have too much, and side-effects from
that cause them problems too. It is a rollercoaster, because our own bodies kick in too.
I suppose there is no real answer, we have to do what's right for us at that time, and quality

Of life has got to be better then struggling all the time.

Hope this makes sense, (I'm not really good at explaining things on an I-pad)

Jd x

willowrannoch

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »

It's nice to converse with others who have similar thoughts on the matter :)  xx

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »

Yes it's a good point. I think some take high dose oestrogen to act like the pill and suppress your own hormones from fluctuating so much.

I use progesterone as I believe it's oestrogen that rises and is most volatile towards menopause (I've also read it remains high years after meno too but not there yet to share my experience!).

Many of us have gotten so desperate with severe symptoms though that you stick with what's working the best for you, so trial and error is your best defence!

Wilks

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »

Isn't the answer that if you have such awful symptoms that you feel your life has ended, try HRT (if appropriate) but if you're not suffering then you don't need it? Regardless of whether you're peri or post-menopausal.
I disagree though that once your hormones have stopped fluctuating you're back to normal. Once your oestrogen is gone it's gone, and for many people it leads to permanent issues unless you treat them.

Optimist

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »

Also mustn't forget the benefits of HRT especially for bone and heart health.
You definitely can take hrt when in peri menopause and still having periods and for some it helps sufficiently with symptoms. With fluctuating hormones during this transition though it does sometimes upset the balance for some but lots of different women on hrt for varying reasons. It's suppose to make you feel better on it and that's what I aim for x

willowrannoch

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Maybe I picked it up wrong, but at this stage I think I'm doing ok enough and HRT wouldn't help just now but I'm open to it should I need it in the future.

Optimist

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »

You got some good options for the future then should you need them. Some women sail through menopause and don't need anything (I don't like these people😂🤣). ‘If it ain't broke don't fix it' is my motto but mine was very broke so is getting fixed !! X

Tiddles

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »

Hi willowrannoch

My understanding is that the body's natural process of change (menopause) goes on in the background unaffected by the HRT.  The HRT masks the symptoms, it doesn't interfere with the natural process.  I would hate to give you duff info so am hoping one of the far more knowledgable ladies on here will confirm this or correct me as I think this is the crux of your question ? x