Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 17497 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »

Those of us old enough to have gone to concerts in the 1960s/70s are in danger of suffering.  It can be constant.  Those who played in bands particularly near the drum set, also suffer.

Earlier today my R ear was ringing - stopped now but don't know when.  Also I get my heart beat in my ear if my head is deep in the pillow, I have to move my head.  A few weeks ago when I had a cough I had tinnitus in both ears, in different keys  >:(  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »

It was so bad in the left ear at 11.30 p.m. I had to get out of bed as it was keeping me awake!

JaneinPen

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »

My tinnitus is there all the time now. Sometimes just a buzz as now and other times high pitched. Most of the time I can deal with it.  I decided I had to do this as it isn't going to go away and so management was the key for me otherwise I knew I would go insane

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »

Certainly it eased once I'd walked around.  It's background on the left today but the right isn't problematic. 

Rosie63

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 03:04:06 PM »

Hi ladies. Does anyone get a noise in their ears almost like you can hear your heart beat or pulse through your ears?  I've really noticed it recently just in my right ear whilst I've been struggling badly with other symptoms which makes me think it is part of all this meno business and perhaps due to low oestrogen. 

Rosie63 xx

Cazikins

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »

I have this & it's called Pulsatile Tinnitus. Here is a link:

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/pulsatile-tinnitus

This is easily checked by feeling the pulse at the same time as listening to the tinnitus.

Rosie63

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »

Ah thanks Cazikins.  I'll take a look.

Rosie xx

Cazikins

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »

No problem Rosie.
Just remember that men get tinnitus as well so don't assume it is all down to the menopause.  ;)

Rosie63

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »

Yes, it's easy to blame everything on the menopause isn't it  :)  I've had a quick look at the link and at least it looks as though it could be treated if it gets too bad.  Have you had any treatment for it Cazikins?

Rosie x

Cazikins

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »

Not for the tinnitus Rosie, tbh I don't think it is treatable - you have to learn to manage it & live with it. I was offered counselling by the E.N.T. clinic which I feel wasn't necessary but I suppose I learnt that in theory it is harmless.

The good thing that came out of being diagnosed "officially" with T was that I was told I have Eustachian tube dysfunction, & an upper attic retraction by E.N.T...fast forward 3 - 4 years & I had a mastoidectomy last year & a small cholesteatoma was discovered & removed. So without having Tinnitus & my GP referring me to E.N.T. I probably could have been in a bit of bother.  :)

Cazikins x

Rosie63

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »

It's almost as if it was meant to be for you Cazikins which is a good thing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post xx

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »

Interesting.  Occasionally I have pulsing tinnitus when I lay down and moving the head or turning over stops it.  It's like my heart beats in my ear  ::).

Certainly musicians/festiveal attendees can be affected.  The late Dave Swarbrick had it for years .......... some find that listening to music distracts the brain from the inner noise and 1 person I know has a hearing aid which apparently helps. 

Me I wriggle my lobe hard which seems to ease the noises or put my finger into the ear and pump it a bit.  Both sides are quiet right now.

Rosie63

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »

Yes that's exactly how it is for me CLKD xx

Wrensong

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »

You can get tinnitus maskers to use at night if tinnitus disturbs sleep.   Mine is a little battery powered machine (sold as a travel version) that looks like a 1970s transistor radio & sits by the bed.  I think mine came from Action on Hearing Loss - still seems to be available on their website. 

It has lots of different sound tracks to choose from so you can match to your own pitch/pattern of tinnitus, which then fades from consciousness - falling rain, surf sounds, wind chimes, steam train  :o etc.  Volume is adjustable so you can turn right up in the middle of the night to wake your snoring partner.  Alternatively pick it up & chuck it at him.  Win win! 

The sound quality is better - less tinny - if you hitch it up to a little speaker - a PC speaker will do.  You can set it to play constantly throughout the night or switch off after a set period if you just need it to get to sleep.   There are some that can be used under the pillow if sleeping partners are disturbed by the noise  - assuming you don't want them to be!   

After 7 years of very intrusive tinnitus with a horrible wavering tone, over the last 18 months mine has quietened considerably & the tone is now even, so most days it's now no more than a quiet background hum & much easier to tolerate.  So please don't give up hope & assume you will be stuck with a distressing degree of it for life. 

The masker is still useful to drown out OH's snoring!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:52:22 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »

:thankyou:  so helpful!  Mine's been quiet all day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6