Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 17508 times)

jules55

Tinnitus
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »

Hi everyone
Just wondered if Tinnitus is a symptom of either Menopause or Anxiety. I am postmenopausal, age 58, had my last period 3 yrs ago, and still get hot flushes occasionally. The worse symptom I get is Anxiety, which I've had on and off for years, and I take Propranolol 80mg daily which I've been on for around 12 yrs. The Anxiety reared its ugly head again a month ago, but I also get this ringing in my ears, which I've had around 6 months. And it's a lot worse when I'm anxious. I mentioned it to the doctor , and he did all the bloods, and blood pressure etc, and everything was fine. And he didn't seem over concerned, but it's driving me mad!! Has anyone else had this? Or is it just part of the aging process! Thanks Jules55 x

Salad

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »

Hi  :)

I did think my tinnitus was due to low Oestrogen. However, I have recently found out that ringing in the ears (plus other symptoms) can be low Vitamin B12 too. I started supplementing a couple of weeks ago and although not gone, the ring has got quieter.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »

I'm a sufferer since peri.  When I stand up it gets really loud along with pulsating tinnitus

Last year both my ear drums burst leaving me completely deaf for 3 weeks and I developed musical tinnitus.  Big brass bands playing while you're trying to sleep was impossible !

I had brain scan and nothing was detected x

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »

It's very easy to blame every health concern on the meno.  However this can mean that other causes, and sometimes serious ones, are ignored.  My husband has tinnitus but is obviously not menopausal.  I am post meno and have never had tinnitus.  It is something that does become more common as we age, which is one explanation.

Ask your doctor for a hearing test which may show any problems.  Also, do you suffer with sinusitis as that is another cause of tinnitus? 

JennieWren59

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »

Can I suggest that it would be worth seeing your dentist too. I had whistling in my ears which was particularly noticeable at night, and as it was driving me mad I checked with my gp who referred me to the ent department at hospital. The consultant checked my hearing, all fine, but when he checked my jaw he asked if I grind my teeth, as ear whistling is a symptom of that.

I remembered that when I'd visited the dentist a while back, she commented that I was a grinder and if I should have any neck or back pain to come and see her before a chiropractor. When I got home I looked at the Bruxism website and ordered a toothguard about £35 - the dentist can make you one but it's twice that!  I thought I'd try it, and was so glad i did, as it cured it. I don't wear it every night, but if I wake with a stiff jaw and or a headache, and also if I get that whistling when I get my head down, a couple of nights with the mouth guard and all is well. I would think that teeth grinding is all to common in menopause if you feel anxious, so it might be worth a try for you?  It's very comfortable to wear and I sleep much better with it in, so it's a win- win  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:44:15 AM by JennieWren59 »

jules55

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »

Thank you ladies for the advice, sorry for delay in replying. Had a major situation with one of our foster children, so seemingly constant anxiety at the moment.

Salad. Will definitely try some vitamin b12 and see what happens, I tried vitamin D once on the recommendation of the doctor, but gave it up, because it gave me terrible acid reflux! So never really taken any other vitamins.

ShadyGlade
  I will go back to the doctors, and ask for further tests, just to be on the safe side. Will also check the dentist too. I hadn't realised grinding your teeth during sleep could cause so many problems! So thank you JennieWren.
 Will keep you posted  :) ;Dxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »

Tinnitus is caused by damage which can be exacerbated by menopause.   Too many rock concerts  ;)

Mine is worse when I lay down sometimes as is that blood vessel pumping through my ear/s.  I have to turn around or wriggle the lobe.  I never know how long the 'noise' has been going on for B4 I notice it  :D

jules55

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »

CLKD Must have been all those Bay City Rollers concerts I went to in the 70's 😃😃😃.

Yeah mine is definitely worse at night, and when things are stressful. Sometimes it feels like my ears just need a good pop! And I  will feel better, but nothing happens. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:25:12 AM »

It is such a nuisance!  I thought of you as I laid down last night, said to DH 'it's happening again, can you hear it?' but he never can ........

And don't get me started on the deep ear icthing which we call 'spaniel ear' ......... sometimes I step and the tinnitus begins, sometimes it starts quietly, grows louder then stops  :-\

knorman

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 07:35:42 AM »

Hello Jules55

I've had tinnitus for years and when I first had it, found it really distressing, especially as I am someone who is unable to tolerate any noise when trying to get to sleep!  I had 'tinnitus therapy' and it really helped as it answered a lot of my questions about what I should and shouldn't do (i.e loud music concerts, which I had become nervous about).  Put my mind at rest about everything and overtime, you do start to switch off from it.  I barely notice mine now, but have the last few weeks.  Reason being, high anxiety levels, it does make a difference!  Ask your Dr if he is able to advise re: therapy.  It wasn't a CBT course I went on, it was someone who had it themselves, knew all the mechanics and could answer my questions.  I have known people that have had it at a particularly stressful time and then it disappears, so it may only be temporary.  Hope those bells stop ringing soon!  Mine sounds a bit like Morse Code!

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »

Mmmmm....I'm suffering at the moment and down to a rather loud gig I went to a few weeks back! I'm okay when there's other noise around but in quiet moments it's definitely worse than normal!

At least for me it's not too annoying...

jules55

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:28 PM »

Hi Knorman

Thank you for your advice, I'm amazed they do therapy for Tinnitus. I will definitely look into it. Mine comes and goes, the last couple of weeks I've felt better than I have in ages, no tinnitus, and no anxiety, no gastric issues. But then yesterday it all started again, the constant high pitched noise is endless! I've had Ibs type symptoms, and anxiety all come out of no where!

I did wonder if it's all to do with the hormonal monthly cycle, even though I don't have any periods anymore, but every 4 wks I still seem to get what I can only describe as pmt symptoms!

Has far as the Tinnitus goes though, I had a phone call from someone with a really loud voice, and my ears started ringing and I went deaf for a few seconds, which worried me  abit tbh.    :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 09:02:06 PM »

Yep, mines exactly the same as yours wombat62.
When it's quiet it gets to me, and if I've got a bad headache.
I've never had it diagnosed by a doctor, but I know what it is,
Too loud music when I was younger, especially in the earphones too,
Now I know why my mom would go mad she always said I'd do my
ears in.......jd x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »

2-night my left ear is so noisy I am positive that DH can hear it buzzing as he sits that side  >:(.  He says 'no' but it's out of my head somehow.  Noisy.  Like a load of bees whizzling round.

JennieWren59

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »

Please don't forget to ask your dentists ladies, if it helps even one of you it will be worth it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6