Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Latecomer  (Read 1807 times)

alexandra

• First Flush
Latecomer
« on: April 24, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »

Hello all
I´m 55, last period 19 months ago.  Saw the gynaecologist last week (first time since 2009)  a young chap who suggested HRT, felt he was a bit fixed on my libido which is really not my priority.  I wouldn´t say I´ve sailed through the meno but I´ve tried to keep fit, healthy etc.  Other issues in life have kept my attention away from my health, which has maybe been a good thing.  Night sweats,  mood swings, etc I sort of ignored and got on with things, and took supplements.   Now I´m on Tibolone and wondering what I´m doing.  Up till last week I felt quite healthy and optimistic but feel so rubbish this week!  Fuzzy head, tired, depressed, fatalistic.   OK, I am only on day 5 :D but ....   I have high cholestorol (8.9) but don´t take statins, prefer to try to control it myself.  Family history of cancer (sister and aunt died of breast cancer, which is probably another reason why I subconsciously avoided the HRT route).   What I want to know is, is this tibolone going to help in any way?  I´ve read posts and it looks like I should give it 3 months.  3 months of feeling like this?  Crikey.   Anyone else out there who managed to be in denial for as long as I have and now feel that life has caught up with them?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Latecomer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »

:welcomemm:

Quality of Life is important ;-).  Maybe put the product name into the search box to see how others have been? 

I take statins, in recent months my GP explained why the Guidelines have changed.  I went to check VitD levels (low) but my cholesterol remained at 7.5 - for over 5 years.  It can be controlled by diet and exercise but it is very hard work to do so.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »

Hi alexandra

:welcomemm:

There have been several long-ish threads on Tibolone so definitely go to the Home Page of the forum and do a search as CLKD suggests. I think one of them was in the section on Personal Experiences - I'll try and find it for you as a start. Tibolone is the only licensed product for libido but the downside is that one of the compounds it breaks down into is a progestogen-like substance and this can cause some side effects. The other alternative is to try conventional HRT but starting with the cyclical type to give a bleed - like an artifical period - so you can check whether that particular progestogen is OK for you. Transdermal (patch or gel) HRT is better for libido. All the different types can be found on the main website menu under treatments.

I have high cholesterol too but the ration of total Ch to HDL is within range - the total Ch should no longer be used as a basis for treatment from what I understand. I've been on systemic HRT for 11 years, now in mid 60's.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide - and hopefully you will be feeling better really soon :)

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »

Here's one of the threads I was talking about - the thing is though, all the women who get on fine with it probably are getting on with their lives and not posting so you will likely see a disproportionate number of women with problems - so try not to look for anything negative you haven't experienced yet!
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33626.195.html

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »

:thankyou:

alexandra

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  Hurdity, thank you so much for your helpful comments and links.  I´ll come back if I have any more questions x

alexandra

• First Flush
3 weeks on tibolone
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »

Hello again
Just an update.  I took Tibolone for 3 weeks and then made an appointment with a different gynaecologist.  I explained that I was lethargic, feeling heavy, blank.  He asked why I was taking Tibolone and I didn´t really know how to reply.   I don´t know why I was taking it, I just thought I would feel better.  So he recommended that I stop and wait to see what symptoms I get, then return to him and he may prescribe anti-ds (never had them) or sleeping tablets.  So I´ve stopped.  My libido did definitely improve but that was it.