Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Soo utterly down :-(  (Read 2017 times)

zen

Soo utterly down :-(
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »

Hi everyone
I am really struggling. I am 55. My periods stopped about 9 years ago and since them I have been really struggling moodwise.( The beginning of the menopause also coincided with my mum passing away:-((.  ) I have been very down and anxious which is not my normal personality.  I have also had quite bad ME for over 20 years.  I can't go out much at all, can't work or exercise and feel constantly ill so it's difficult to separate everything out! Have also had an underactive thyroid since the menopause.  I have tried angelique which didn't help much and everol conti which made me even more depressed and have been on Prof Studd's regime for about 1 1/2 years trying different doses of oestrogel, different progesterones as well as testim. Have also tried lots of anti-depressant over the year and nothing works:-(  I was fine/sane! before the menopause so there must be something that works??-every day is a huge struggle. Any suggestions? I feel soo down:-( Thanks to all you kind ladies who are stuggling too.  x

Dancinggirl

Re: Soo utterly down :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »

zen - welcome to MM - you are not alone feeling like this.  The meno can play havoc with our lives.
You need someone to look at you holistically and come up with a plan of action that will help you find a way forward.
You have got yourself stuck in a place that you can't find a way out of and you are clutching at straws hoping there wile be a drug or treatment that will work - it's no wonder you are feeing so low. I have had friends with ME and under active thyroid, so these things are definitely linked -  add in menopause and you have the perfect storm.

My experience with Utrogestan wasn't good - it made me feel really sedated and fatigued. I also believe HRT is not always the answer - if you suffer flushes and night sweats then HRT can be great at controlling these but it can also throw up other side effects that really don't help. Finding a HRT regime that dose make you feel better can be a struggle. If oestrogen doesn't give you a lift then HRT may not be worth using.
I assume you have had CBT and perhaps specific help to overcome your ME? I also assume you have tried dietary changes that may help?
 Try writing down all your symptoms and questions and make a double appointment with the GP to really discuss your options. Maybe a referral to a endocrinologist to really tackle your thyroid issues could be a good idea. By taking some proactive steps, you may well find you can rebuild your life again. 
Keep us posted.  DG x
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:00:17 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:53 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes!

In the scheme of things it isn't long since your Mum died.  Have you considered contacting your local Cruse group for support?  Helping the bereaved by bereaved people.  Or your local MIND group, I did so by e-mail 2 years ago when we had a sudden bereavement and was surprised at how much time they were able to give me. 

If you are unable to get out and about you may be lacking in VitD ...... could your Practice arrange for a Nurse to come out to take blood so that you can have a full blood count, which should include VitD levels. In August I felt really ill and tests showed I was low even though I am out and about a lot, some capsules solved the problem.  I had been unable to do anything in the garden without needing to sit down for 2 hours after attempting weeding for example  :-\

zen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »

Dancinggirl and CLKD.  Thank you so much for your kind replies.  I do agree a more holistic approach is the way to go.  It's just finding the right holistic person to see.  I had a GP's appointment on Friday but was too exhausted/ill to go and I spoke to her on the phone and she said there is nothing they can do for me as I have tried  quite a lot of things and nothing has worked! They really don't get how ill I am with everything. Although I do think pills are probably not the answer.  Yes I have had CBT for my ME and tried dietary changes etc. I've also seen quite a few endocrinologists about my thyroid and they all blame the symptoms which I am sure are thyroid (I never had them before the ME and are particular to an underactive thyroid) on my ME.  It's very frustrating to say the least! I've had counselling from CRUSE but have never contacted my local MIND group which is a good idea.  I also take Vitamin D but might upping it. I do hope you are both coping 'ok' with things.
Very many thanks again. x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »

CBT did nowt for me.  If the GPs think that ME is causing issues, then there are things that can be suggested - what's the endocrinologist say about how you are feeling in connection with ME and menopause symptoms?

Browse round. Make notes.  If you put ME into the search box you'll see if anyone else has ideas that might help.

Charliegirl@

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »

Hi Zen, try a website by Dr Lam, called Adrenal Fatigue, He makes some good suggestions. I am going thru the sickening tiredness and low mood at the moment and can really sympathise with you. I am also trying mindfullness meditation as stress really makes it far worse. Only been doing it a week but its relaxing!
Hope this helps!
Charliegirl@ x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »

I was very tired in August and found my VitD levels were very low ......... I'm feeling that way again now so need to remember to re-start the capsules.  It doesn't take much to throw the body out of kilter.