Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Return of Symptoms  (Read 4176 times)

Mustard1

Return of Symptoms
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

I am 53 years old; and had the menopause at 44 and put on Kliofem 2/1.  In January I start to have anxiety over work issues and it just crashed from there.  Doctor put me on citalopram as I was already on HRT.  However, after 8 weeks of no improvement, actually worsening I got signed off work and made an appointment with a Menopause Doctor.  Who put me on Everol Conti (50mgs) - over 4 weeks I improved.  However, I have crashed on week 5 and the anxiety and depression is back - the anxiety with a vengeance.  Is this normal and should I just stick with this over a period of 3 months.  I am struggling and would appreciate any advise.   :'(

Dancinggirl

Re: Return of Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

It can take at least 3 months for any HRT to settle so I would persevere for a while yet. Do you do Mindfulness or other relaxation techniques? Anxiety is common when meno hits and it's a range of strategies that need to used  - not just HRt.   

Perhaps consider having a Mirena fitted as you can then use higher amounts of oestrogen as gel or patch which may suit you better. Transdermal can often work much better in so many ways. Look under TREATMENTS to find out more.  DG x

Mustard1

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »

Thank you so much.  Yes I am using  mindfulness and yoga and also exercise.  I had an awful night last night and now feel worse than ever so your reply really helped. I am  back to menopause doctor on Thursday but feel sick at the thought of getting through the  next six days.   Can't believe I felt like my normal self this time last week.  Your reply gives me some hope. 

Mustard1

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »

I have just hit a wall and feel worse than when this all started.  In work had to do a presentation - managed that whilst the anxiety was gnawing at me the whole time and then once that was over I just went into meltdown.  As anyone else experienced anything like this - the anxiety started again very slowly last Saturday (I had been on the patches for exactely 4 weeks).  I don't know if this is hormones or I have a developed some other illness.  The anxiety about sleeping is acute - to the extent that I believe if I don't sleep I will loose everything in my life.  I can't keep going on with this.  Has anyone also done this with anxiety and hormone issues????????????????  My daughter is visiting for the weekend before she goes back packing and I really don't want her to see me like this. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »

If I don't get enough sleep I feel awful. I actually wonder if you are reacting badly to the progesterone in Evorel, particularly in the conti version. Many women struggle with conti HRTs because progesterone used every day can bring low mood, anxiety and PMT - perhaps you are reacting to norethisterone more now?
Lack of sleep can play havoc with concentration and this can make us more anxious.
Maybe you need one of the kinder progesterones now?
DG x

paisley

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »

I also think it might be the progesterone. Good job you are going back to the menopause doctor. I also think the pressures of your work at the moment are making you feel worse too. Xx

Mustard1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »

Thank you both so much DG and P - you feel in a very lonely place with the whole M THING but this forum really helps both from an information point but also from a support and knowing that there are a whole lot of people out there who face the same struggles. Xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 05:31:03 PM »

Hello Mustard1 and welcome to the forum.

I completely sympathise with you. Your comments about feeling normal last week and not wanting your daughter to see you distressed certainly resonate with me! This menopause journey seems to be three steps forward and two steps back which is beyond frustrating. I don't have any great advice for you unfortunately but sending hugs from a fellow sufferer.

Wishing you well.

K.

Mustard1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »

K - thank you.  Sending hugs back. X

Mustard1

Re: Return of Symptoms - HELP
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »

Woke at 5am this morning - with anxiety like never before. I went to bed OK - I actually felt I should be in a padded cell as I felt I could not get through the day feeling as I did.    I had 2mgs  diazapham as I didn't take these when originally prescribed by GP - took that and it calmed me slightly then black mood hit !!!!!!!  Took the patch off around an hour ago and feel slight,y better.  Know I might be really stupid removing the patch but felt it was my only option.  Think it may be prudent to put on 1/2 patch (everol conti 50) - as said on previous post have menopausal doctor on Thursday.  ANY ADVICE - I now feel I am going crazy.  I feel Thursday is a long long time away.

paisley

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »

You are not going crazy as I too have & still do feel like that. I also think because it is a combined patch of oestrogen & progesterone that the progesterone is affecting you more. Before I had a hysterectomy the progesterone part literally made me feel crazy.  if you took the patch off & felt slightly better then it might have been that. If I was you I would explain to your daughter how you feel. Just talking with someone might help a bit. There are so many HRTs out there so if this one doesn't suit there is bound to be one that does with a separate progesterone.

Mustard1

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »

Paisley - thank you so much.  Today as been hellish but I do have the menopause dr this week - I just don't know how I am getting to that point. I have spoken to my daughter but on a very OMG sorry for crying it's just hormones.  My husband on the other hand is getting really fed up with the situation.  Once the anxiety passed today it was replaced with a black depression -  now I am 1/4 normal again.  It is weird - - always better in the evening.  Xxx. I can't stand the point of waking again tomorrow to face the same thing and tomorrow I have work.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary, some ladies find it useful.

Don't hide anything from your family.  It makes menopause so much harder!

:welcomemm: maybe read the treatment section above and make notes?

Mustard1

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »

Thanks  CLKD - I will do that.  The family but is challenging as I feel I am bringing other people down and I hate that.  A,though yesterday I was so bad I couldn't hide it.  Today is not as bad - no anxiety yet but dark mood.  I keep telling myself it will pass by evening.  The support through this forum really helpful. Xx

paisley

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »

It is very hard to keep your feelings bottled up at home. I can do it to a certain extent but when it gets bad I have to talk to my  husband. He is better now than when I had PND years ago. I went to a counselor  then & found it very helpful talking to someone else not related. I also totally  understand going to bed not too bad but worrying about the next morning again. You will find something that works for you it is just trial & error xx
Pages: [1] 2