Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause help  (Read 1400 times)

Mgorman

Perimenopause help
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »

Hi I'm new here - I'm 49 and started this journey 3 years ago - have lots of symptoms on and of so went for a menopause consultation and got bloods done - thankfully all general bloods came back normal - my hormones were FSH 97 Lh 45.5 and oestradiol 172pmol/L - have a follow up consultation soon - any idea what these levels mean ??? Still having a period every couple of months last one 3 months ago.

Dotty

Re: Perimenopause help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »

The FSH result shows that you are post menopausal.

Mgorman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »

Thanks for the reply - I'm still having a period the longest I got without one was 4 months - I thought you had to be 2yrs without before 50 and 1yr after 50 to be post menopause - it's confusing  :o

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »

Blood test results are not recommended as the results fluctuate so much especially in peri menopause.  If your periods are irregular and you have other symptoms then it is enough to say that you are in peri menopause .  You are right that you are not officially post meno until you haven't had a period for 12 months.  The rule you are talking about is for contraception.

Ask your GP for a trial of HRT,

Mgorman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »

Thanks that's what I'm thinking of doing - I'm coping with symptoms most days but just feel why should I just cope - life is too short - the doctor had said don't wait for things to be out of control to try her to be proactive and take control of it myself 😉

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »

Hi and welcome Mgorman
Menopause can happen at any time - age has nothing to do with it.  The peri menopause phase can last some years. The FSH level is a good indicator for menopause but just because yours was high with ‘one' blood test doesn't mean you are post menopause - you are probably still in peri menopause.
Do read this excellent article that may help you to understand what's going on and help you make decisions about a way forward. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/articles-mainly.php#perils

Dg x

Mgorman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »

Thank you for your reply and the information 😊