Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Update on EFT therapy  (Read 1422 times)

Angel1964

Update on EFT therapy
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »

Hi Ladies. Just to update you on my 2nd therapy session. Went yesterday and I'm amazed.  We managed to get to the root of my anxiety problem by the therapist to taking me back to childhood and beyond. We came to the time that I had anaphylactic shock, I was 25, now 53. I was at work and it started was rushed to hospital given adrenaline etc. We done some tapping regarding my thoughts and i was reliving the whole scene as I had my eyes shut. It made me recall that I told one of the doctors that I was going to get the train home to go see my own doctor at home. The hospital doctor states that I would have died if I had done that!! I really started crying in therapy and she said she believes that I have been suffering with PTSD all of these years. She said thats why I dont like confined spaces, trains, queues to name but a few. We done loads more tapping. At the end she said close your eyes again and now relive that memory again.  I CANNOT see any of it anymore no matter how hard I try. I am absolutely dumbfounded by this as initially I could see the doctors etc at the hospital and I went through everything that happened with the anaphylactic shock!! I have even tried today to envisage the whole scenario again and when I close my eyes all I see is like a flicker of light and nothing else. I hope that this post can maybe help some of you if you have had anxiety for many years before hitting menopause. Hormones definitely affect anxiety and I feel that when they are low and imbalanced this is when my anxiety hits hard. By the way I am post menopausal and had the same at peri.  Please google EFT therapy as I am amazed at it xxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Update on EFT therapy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »

Angel - how interesting.  So pleased it has been helpful. What a shame the NHS is so swift to hand out ADs when therapies such as this can have such a benefit.  I do think one needs to be open and willing to be helped though - all these therapies need a determination to overcome the problem. Bravo to you for approaching this in such a positive way.    Life can move forward now. Dg x

Angel1964

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl EFT is so good. Any symptoms or feelings you get tap it out. It works :) xx

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »

Well done, sounds like you really got to the root of your PTSD. When you find what's been behind everything it's very freeing as you gain back your control.

I actually resisted training in EFT many years ago when I was doing my psych training as had my doubts about it, I did EMDR instead and use a combo of that, hypnosis and CBT for PTSD. However, I keep hearing good things from friends who've had EFT so have changed my mind on it. It's a good one that you can practice on yourself as well!

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »

Hi ladies,
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
firdtly Angelm that sounds just amazing, I'm rewlly pleased for you.  I didn't know what EFT was but I've googled it !
Dangermouse, I've just started EMDR but I don't know what to think really.  I don't want to hyjack this thread but would appreciate a chat about it If you don't mind ?

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »

Hello  Angel1964.

Thank you so much for your very interesting post. I was struck by how you had developed a fear of confined spaces even though your trauma didn't involve a confined space and you were in hospital ( presumably a light a airy one ) when the danger was mentioned to you. The workings of the mind are truly bizarre!

I look forward to reading your updates in BWRT as well if you have the time. It's all very interesting.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »

Oh how I relate though didn't do EFT.

I have a dysfunctional background though whilst growing up, wasn't aware only that there was continual unrest within the house.  That there were other homes where I felt safe because there was less likelihood of rows between parents hatching, as they had to keep up a 'face' I suppose.

I grew up angry.  For a combination of reasons I had intermittent talking therapy.  Discuss, decide, ditch.  After a few years I couldn't remember what the problem had been  ::).  It certainly cleared my brain.

Anything that enables us to move forwards has to be of benefit!  Do you have 'homework'?

Angel1964

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »

Kathleen it's all to do with the doctor at hospital telling me I would have died on the train if I had gone to my local doctor at home. That's apparently where the relationship is :) I remember that on trains  going into London that I started to stand by the door as I couldn't be confined. To the point that I got work nearer home and even then alot of the time I got taxis to and fro as couldn't be on the bus. And now and again the anxiety rears its head and I cannot do all the "confined" things xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »

I haven't been in a confined situation for years, we don't go to the Theatre any more  :-\.  Haven't travelled by public transport apart from a very short train ride to/from Lewes to Brighton 8 years ago.  Someone might be sick  :-\

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »

Hi ladies,
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
firdtly Angelm that sounds just amazing, I'm rewlly pleased for you.  I didn't know what EFT was but I've googled it !
Dangermouse, I've just started EMDR but I don't know what to think really.  I don't want to hyjack this thread but would appreciate a chat about it If you don't mind ?

Yes of course, ask away! Perhaps start a new thread on it or you're welcome to PM me (but others may be interested if happy to share).

racjen

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

Groundhog, I've had EMDR for the trauma around breast cancer, but it uncovered other stuff in my past that I hadn't even considered to be trauma. I think it's an amazing therapy but very intense, sounds very similar in effect to the description of EFT in this thread. What are your reservations? Happy to tell you more if you want to know about my experience.