Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cruise  (Read 10261 times)

Spangles

Cruise
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »

Hi,
I'm off on a 1 week cruise in a fortnight. I've never been before, I have the usual anxieties; will I have major anxiety resulting in a breakdown!
I am trying to research what cruises are like, and to be honest I'm really looking forward to it apart from the anxieties that I always get when I go away.
I can't wait for some sunshine, just going around some Greek islands.
Have any of you ladies cruised before?
Can you tell me what it is like and pass on any useful tips?
I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
xXx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cruise
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »

I think that we have a cruise thread  :-\

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »

Shellb don't worry I've been on many cruises and the medical facilities on board are usually first class plus remember you have some really good hospitals in Europe these days not that you'll need them but it's good to be aware they are there for you.have you got your European health card,the old E111,take it everywhere with you very simple to apply for it online.it covers any emergency care you need in Europe.itll tell you which countries it's valid in now.all good measures to reassure you.
The cruise ships are great there's no such thing as boredom or feeling penned in,it's a floating hotel room ,what's not to like about a great nights entertainment after dinner then bedybyes and wake up in a new port every day depending on itinerary then get off the ship either on organised tours or do it yourself.we found the Greek island of Mykonos on a cruise and fell in love with it and now go two three times a year to the same hotel where we are treated like old friends ,we get picked up from airport and driven back every time hopefully you'll find somewhere like that when you go.when your at sea there's all kinds of shows and entertainment on deck and the food is 24/7 in a selection of restaurants usually.you will have the time of your life you go and enjoy it.take a well stocked first aid kit with you in your bag when you go on trips then that'll help overcome any anxiety you may have but once you get on that ship you'll wonder why you were so uptight.have fun I know you will love it.xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »

Himself thinks he would be bored  ::) and I suffer with anxiety around lots of people.  I would love to go to see the Northern Lights ........

Let us know how U get on.  I've bumped the other threads  ;) and did U watch Jane Macdonald the singer in recent programmes?

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:07:48 PM »

Hi Daisydot and CLKD,
Thanks so much for your replies I really appreciate them. I have a fear of getting ill when on holiday, (story for another day!). Be a I've has MH issues in the past and still do, it's always a fear I have when going anywhere.
Oh Daisydot, Mykonos! What can I say.... I'm so excited about going there, I've always wanted to go, ever since watching Shirley Valentine! I hope it has the same effect on us xXx
CLKD, thanks for the threads, I did catch some Jane Mc Donald, it was good.
I'll let you know how I get on and I really hope you get to the Northern Lights xXx
 :thankyou:

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »

I know exactly what you mean I've cancelled so many holidays India Cuba you name it I cancelled and uoset my hubby but didn't care I was so terrified of getting ill like you,I've gotten past that now by doing what I told you to do it really does help and I just don't get into situations I'm not comfortable with now,you really will enjoy it and you'll love the windmills in Mykonos and the open air cinema and hopefully you'll get to santorini too bet you can't wait, xx

ellie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »

Hi Shellb we have been on around 12 cruises, and I can honestly say it's the one place where I don't worry about being ill.  They have doctors, nurses and a medical centre onboard. Plus in true emergencies, you are never too far from land.  Probably easier to get medical help than when you are at home....I am SO envious, wish I was going, you will LOVE it......Santorini is beautiful. Have a wonderful time and don't worry about anything, you will be so well looked after.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »

That sounds amazing, pls take me with... ;)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »

Thanks elle - a friend of mine has an aunt who sold up her very large property and bought a flat at Southampton.  This her family has the use of whilst she cruises all over the World - meeting people, full board, hospital facilities etc. on board.  Cheaper than a Care Home too  ;)

Maybe take an anti-anxiety 'as necessary' medication with you?  Plenty of books, you don't have to leave your cabin if it's a problem, food can be ordered in ......... do take copies of your prescriptions with you though.

Two hoots

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »

I'm another cruise addict, if you have any questions we'll be happy to help. I've cruised only from Southampton because I don't like flying but I've been with P and O, Celebrity, Princess and Royal Carribean, as you can see I'm not loyal to any particular cruise line if the price or itinerary suits  ;D

My pre first cruise worry was that everywhere onboard would be busy, no seats long queues etc but it's not like that, in fact I don't know where everybody hides  ::)

Spangles

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »

Thanks again ladies,
Two Hoots I'm going with P&O, any tips?
xXx

Two hoots

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »

I have mostly cruised with P and O  :) the vast majority of passengers are British and they price things in pounds on board. I like freedom dining, I don't know whether you have chosen fixed time or freedom I've done both, freedom just means you turn up when you want to eat but sometimes they give you a pager if there is no table available, you don't normally have a long wait maybe 30 minutes is my maximum wait.

Your cabin steward will provide you with extra coat hangers, ice or extra toiletries, just ask.

I don't usually eat breakfast at home but I do like room service breakfast when I'm on the ship :)

Every evening you'll get a copy of a what's on guide for the next day, it'll tell you what time you dock, when to be back on board and all the entertainment, it's worth reading but don't be like me and re read them when I get home and find lots of things I've missed  ;D

Spangles

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »

Hi Two Hoots,
We have got freedom dining and a balcony 😀
Yes I will remember to read the guide each evening!
How does the tipping work?
Thanks so much
Shellb
xXx

Daisydot

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 06:10:57 PM »

I remember with Thomson the tipping was included but other cruise company's have their own policy's they usually put it in small print try googling your particular company or yo7 could email them then stick it in named envelopes before you leave,ie maid steward waiter whoever you've been advised to tip so your prepared.i really hope you have great fun you'll nit have a care in the world once your onboard.well done you xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »

Oh There's Posh - a Balcony ....... could you fit me into a suitcase please  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5