Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mix Compounded Bioidenticals and Big Pharma?  (Read 2930 times)

ABoatNerd

• First Flush
Mix Compounded Bioidenticals and Big Pharma?
« on: January 26, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »

Greetings dear folks.

Hope you and your families remain well.

I am posting from Ottawa, Canada.

My last post was September 2021 and numerous folks responded and thank you. Everyone said my estrogen was way too low, I agree.

Question - Can you mix compounded bioidenticals with Big Pharma?

For 10 years I used compounded bioidentical estrogen biest, progesterone and testosterone - all low levels. No real results, still have osteoporosis, HBP, cholesterol, felt useless. Estrogen never got higher than 78, I understand should be 300 minimum

So 6 months I changed to more big pharma - estrogel Merek Canada (0.75/1.25G) and pill format reddy-progesterone 100mg - but again, did not feel well at all and the progesterone, did not make me relaxed for sleep, the reverse.  The gynie said that testosterone is NOT needed?????????

Q - Is the estrogel and reddy-progesterone still bioidentical hormones, meaning not big pharm fake hormones like from horse urine?

When I added more progesterone, I got bleeding.

I am very exhausted dealing with elderly parents.

I am SO CONFUSED. I just want to feel better and improve my osteoporosis, and reduce my cholesterol.

I am aware of the importance of testosterone.

What do you experts think?

Thanks so much indeed!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mix Compounded Bioidenticals and Big Pharma?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:12:00 AM »

Morning.  What treatment are you taking for the osteoporosis?  Brisk walking every day can help as it stimulates bone growth.  MayB have a look at the UK Osteoporosis Society web-site?

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:20:35 AM »

From my understanding, it could be either. I would think the ingredients should tell you.

In the UK standard (pharma) hrt estrogen is bio identical, but not all progesterones are.

The bio identical prescribed over here is called micronised progesterone. Goes under the brand utrogestan - in pill format at 100mg or 200mg.

I'm using compounded, which is bioidentical, as you know.

You should be able to find out by 'googling' the brands, but ultimately, you probably want to ask and discuss with your prescriber, especially if it is something you are concerned about.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »

Hi yes I think they are both body identical after looking them up . They look to be the same as our Oestrogel and Utrogestan.

How much of the Oestrogel are you using ? If you’re not feeling any better then it’s likely that you need more . x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »

Yes, you definitely can mix compounded hormones with branded HRT products.

I use conventional oestrogen and testosterone with compounded progesterone.

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 05:27:02 PM »

The new term body identical means the same as bio identical. I think the manufacturers came up with body identical as, historically you could only get bio identical hormones through a compounding pharmacy, and once they were packaged for NHS use earlier on, GPs would tell women they couldn't have bio identical, not realising they were the same. Now the manufacturers are getting their packaged ones prescribed.

I would say it's caused more confusion and they could just get rid of the term now but it's all marketing at the end of the day!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »

Hi boatnerd

Just had a quick look at your posts. Looking at your original regime - you wouldn't want to achieve a higher oestrogen level on what you were taking because the progesterone would not be likely sufficient to protect the womb. It looked like some sort of cream to be absorbed through the skin?

Once you start using the licensed properly regulated (and probably much cheaoer) products for oestrogen, you should use the same for progesterone in order to protect the womb.

That's why these compounded hormone regimes are not recommended at all in UK by the British Menopause Society.

The other thing is what formulation is the progesterone? Do you take the pill orally or is it a vaginal capsule maybe? If you take it every day, then some women unfortunately do get these negative side effects - yes it is a sedative but for most women causes more problems. eg keeps them awake or awakes them with vivid dreams or needing to wee in the night due to bladder irriation! Not to mention heacahes, lethargy, depression, foggy head and other annoying features.

You also haven't said how old you are and I am so sorry to hear that you have developed osteoporosis after 10 years of the WRONG treatment. For women who are susceptible to osteoporosis then you need an absolute level much higher thsn this. Maybe not necessasrily 300 pmol/l from what I remember reading but certainly far more than 78!

Also just checking you did mean pmol/l not pg/ml? Sometimes overseas countries measure estradiol by the latter which would not be so bad!

In your position I would concentrate on taking the oestrogen for your osteporosis and making sure you find the right progesterone regime that protects your womb and makes you feel better or at least minimises side effects. You might want to take it cyclically for example? (This would give a predictable bleed every month or 6 weeks depending on cycle length).

I can't see why would want to use the compounded products along with the proprietary products. If you're thinking about that progesterone you were using then the answer is probably no. You can get other formulations of progesterone privately but the thing is once in order to achieve a high enough oestrogen level to protect your bones you will need a higher progesterone dose whether or not it is a private preparation or the properly regulated one that you are taking - that has been shown to protect the womb.

So to put it bluntly, I would ditch the compounded stuff, save your money and focus on your bones! :)

And if you woud like further advice on tweaking the regime using standard products maybe post in the mainstream section - all things menopause and more people using this regime may be able to help you?

The bleeding could have a variety of causes - maybe because the lining has built up too much and on rare occasions from too much progesterone leading to overthinning of the womb lining though this is unlikely to happen in a short time.

I hope this helps and do ask if you need further advice

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »

Private BHRT doctors prescribe off the shelf oestrogen (patches, estrogel, Lenzetto) and progesterone (Utrogestan) too, either as standard so the patient can get all from their GP (much cheaper) - often first resort - or combined with a compounded product - second resort - or compounded only if need more bespoke measurements.

However, they will ONLY prescribe any oestrogen products (patches etc or compounded) with frequent scans. This is why we have not heard or a single case of someone contracting womb cancer from taking compounded hormones in the UK.

Agreed though, if the cheaper standard ones work then of course enjoy the cheaper prices. I suspect women are coming to these threads because that has not been their experience.