Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Aromatherapy  (Read 2135 times)

QueenofReds3

Aromatherapy
« on: December 20, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »

Hi Ladies
I would love to hear your thoughts re Aromatherapy. Do you think it helps with anxiety/ sleep . Any experiences good and bad please. I am thinking of doing a course too for interest and I have used oils before, but my OH thinks it’s all a waste of time. Thanks. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aromatherapy
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »

Crystal therapy is bunkum, my husband grew crystals as part of his job  ::).  They do give pleasure which comes from the colours, holding them, enjoying them and researching how they were formed millions of years ago: but they are 'dead' in a way that can't 'give' anything outwardly.  I love Blue John jewellery: fluorspar which is laid down in many parts of the World:  however, that in the Castleton in Derbyshire is unique to that area. 

I love pebbles on the beach too ;-). 

Aromatherapy however.  Oils have been used for 1,000s of years.  Think too of herb gardens.  I get a lot of pleasure from my lavender around the garden. Walking by my herb tower late this afternoon, the smell of the curry plant was lovely.  It has marjoram and oregano in too.  For display purposes, we rarely cook with them.  Which scents do you prefer?

Lavender apparently shouldn't be used if one is pregnant  ???.  However.  If you look on the beauty counters, many herbs are used in cosmetics.  So growing and picking my own is lovely.  Also at this time of year, Festive spices can be enjoyed.  I don't like eating oranges but at this time o f year I enjoy the perfume especially when mixed with cinnamon.

I found lavender too powerful on my pillow so tend to mix it with warm water in my bath.  I cut it when dry to line drawers with to make the laundry etc. smell fresh.  Rosemary and other herbs were used on mud floors to discourage critters .........  I use soaps as drawer liners too as well as in the airing cupboard for clothing not often used.

How do you think you will benefit?  Which route will you go: essential oils mixed with something or buy directly 'made up'? MayB have a look at Heacham Lavender website for ideas. Making 'me' time can be so important whether it's reading, TV, scented candles etc..  I've gone off candles though  :-\

mandss

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 06:24:28 PM »

I personally love arometherapy, and am interested in any thing that will ease my racing mind. My reflexologist recommened  only using three drops of pure oils in a bath and mixing them with a teaspoon of whole milk so that the product can seep into the skin rather than sitting on top of the water. PS Heacham lavender is not far from me and smells amazing when you dirive by x

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »

I love the concept of aromatherapy, but I think it's perhaps more powerful than is recognised. For those sensitive to it, gently go and, just like HRT, research and gain knowledge first. Sadly, I am extremely overstimulated by most essences/oils and tolerate nothing scented in the bath, for example, but have tolerated the Findhorn and Gigha orchid essences as part of herbal remedy under medical herbalist supervision. Personally, I'm not sure it's something to experiment with if transdermal in application and I've had some bad reactions to (qualified) aromatherapy massages, but it may be helpful/pleasant from burners.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:22:01 PM by Postmeno3 »

QueenofReds3

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 07:13:36 PM »

CLKD, bunkum! 😂That made me laugh. Your herb tower sounds lovely. I love the smell of lemon, mint and rose. I have a diffuser which is lovely. I think I just want some me time really and would be hopeful it would help my sleep. I know that many oils are to used safely as carry contradictions. I would like to learn more about the power of plants too, surely anything natural and smells good helps the mind and spirit.

Postmeno3. Sorry you cannot tolerate anything in your bath, I have never heard of Findhorn and Gigha, I will look it up. I find lavender a little overpowering but have tried that spray you put on your pillow before bed but it does nothing for me!

Mandss
It is good to hear you enjoy aromatherapy, I have heard of the mixing with milk in the bath .

Thank you all for your replies. Hope you all have a great Xmas and stay safe. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »

Well - asses milk was popular to bathe in by the Egyptians.  Apparently.  Perish the thought  :o

I have family in Heacham Church Yard  ::) we never went to the lavender fields as kids, it's somewhere DH and I have explored in recent years.  Love it, the grub is great.  Some even has lavender in the recipe  :-\.  An acquired taste?

The herb tower was bought in the Spring with the intention of growing various plants in, as well as lobelia and trailing nasturtiums.  Did better this first year than I hoped.  The curry plant is strong ........

I wouldn't mix scents - a little drop of what you fancy in a glass by the bath: which can be removed if it's too strong: or in the water, might be the way to start. My friend gave me a set of sticks and a small bottle with cranberry oils in, which I stood in the spare bedroom as it was too strong for the main house.  It lasted a year, by turning the sticks round ....... I will be looking for more of those in my travels.

Rose petals on the water surface can be scrapped off - some put them into a small net to hold under the tap.

Soaps have other solvents etc. in so may not be as beneficial but knowing what the herb is suspended in might be worth finding out.  I have put home grown rosemary under the water when running a bath, that's strong enough!  Let us know how you get on.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:20:54 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 08:18:43 PM »

Types of essential oils

Lavender. This incredibly popular oil has all kinds of benefits.

Roman chamomile. Featuring a combination of a light floral and herbal aroma, this oil has the potential to put your mind at ease when diffused and inhaled through steam. ... (I grew a chamomile lawn and hated the smell)

Rose. ... (a few petals on the surface of the water is pretty)

Hyssop. ... (in my herb tower)

Myrrh. ... (difficult to source)

Vetiver. ... (never heard of it)

Grapefruit. ... (better eaten with ginger poured over ;-) )

Cedarwood. (I love sandalwood too)

QueenofReds3

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »

Happy Birthdwy CLKD. Just seen on other post. Hope you had a wonderful day. You are very knowledgeable on plants. X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »

Tnx.  Don't ask me any Latin names though  ;D.  A spade is a spade etc..