Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: If anything, feeling worse on hrt  (Read 17245 times)

Lilylight

If anything, feeling worse on hrt
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:14:47 AM »

My HRT journey is not going to plan ...

Started about 2 1/2 months ago with Gp prescribing a conti patch (wrong as I'm still having periods). Changed to sequi but the progesterone didn't agree with me. Came off for a month.
Have now been prescribed Femoston (1/10) and have been on for 3 weeks. Skipped the progesterone part this month as period started. I feel awful. No amount of chivvying myself is working - I feel depressed. I don't remember feeling this before HRt (took for physical symptoms and brain fog/ concentration/ motivation).
Is it the HRt? Is it making things worse, or is it my own menopause kicking in and I need a higher dose of oestrogen?
Does anyone have experiences similar to mine (feeling worse, not better)?

Wilks

Re: If anything, feeling worse on hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:31:53 AM »

Hi,
There are folks on here who know a lot more about the various hrts available, who may be able to advise.
My own thoughts are that it could be either of those things you mention, and perhaps you can only tell if you stop the HRT for a bit and see what happens? Some women find that their oestrogen levels drop quite suddenly, leading to a sudden worsening of symptoms.
I felt better after I first started HRT but 12 months later suddenly felt dreadful as my oestrogen has dropped again and I needed a higher dose.

Lilylight

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »

Thanks wilks. I did have a definite improvement in hot flushes/ night sweats (although had another night sweat couple of nights ago) but it's my mood that bothers me most.

Wilks

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood slightly! I've suffered with very low mood despite HRT, although the HRT has helped with other symptoms. I had my testosterone measured and it was low, so I've been on testosterone for the last 2 months, which has helped with the brain fog! It may also help with low mood, but I'm also taking fluoxetine. I seem to need the whole cocktail in order to feel well at the moment!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »

Lilylight - you are clearly peri meno so your own hormones are probably still having a strong influence.
If you got a bleed without taking the progesterone phase of the Femoston 1/10 then this would indicate that your lining was building up a bit too much because you had a spike for a time in your own oestrogen output.
At this early stage of using the Femoston 1:10 it was probably not a good idea to skip the progesterone phase, even though you started bleeding, as it would prevent the HRT from settling you into a proper cycle. It can take 3-6 months to settle on any HRT and until your body has adjusted and settled then you won't start feeling the true benefits. Chopping and changing what and how you use HRT will only make things worse. If flushes and night sweats are under control then that is great. I know this requires patience and you want to get on with life but try sticking to the regime properly and concentrate on good diet, exercise ( maybe 10 minutes brisk walks twice a day) and practising relaxation techniques to further control the low mood and anxiety. There are no quick fixes but many of us, including myself, have found a way forward - however it does take patience and discipline. DG x

paisley

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »

When I start any HRT it always takes a longer time for me to stabilize. This time it has taken 6 weeks to see any sign of improvement. As Dancinggirl says it can take 3-6 months for your body to stabilize. Our bodies don't like any change & especially our brains

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »

So true, Paisley! So glad you're starting to feel some benefits - yay!! :) xxxx

Letmein

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »

I was on HRT for 3 months and it didn't work for me either. I feel best I've had for 2 years since I've come of it! The Oestrogen didn't really bring the benefits I had expected but gosh the progesterone was absolutely awful! I'm glad I've tried it though just because it was such a relief to come off it, I find I can cope with the symptoms much better than I did before going on it in the first place!

paisley

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »

Letmein
That is really good. If I could cope without HRT I would. I managed coming off HRT for 10 months & even though HRT was never the miracle cure it is much better for me being on it than without it.  I only have to take the oestrogen part as I have had a hysterectomy & could never tolerate progesterone before the hysterectomy. It just proves again that we are all different in that what works for one person doesn't work for another

Lilylight

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »

Thanks all. Dancing girl, you're probably right - I need to give it a good go and maybe I am wrong to expect quick results. I just didn't think I'd feel worse...
I'm going to plug on for 3 months but if I don't feel better in myself I may just leave it. I can cope with the hot flushes etc so may be ok without.
Letmein - I'm like you with progesterone, so may not last 3 months. Hormones!!!