Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Vicious anxiety cycle is off again...  (Read 9781 times)

Snoooze

Re: Vicious anxiety cycle is off again...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »

It definitely sounds like ibs Rebel. If you are stressed it will be causing it. When I'm feeling OK, I can eat things no bother yet if I am having an ibs attack, those same foods cause it.
My anxiety has been at bay for 5 months but it's slowly creeping back in. I've had 3 attacks since Sunday and have to keep fighting to not let it win.
Hope it eases soon.

dulciana

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »

First of all, a big  :hug: to everyone who's posted on this thread.  At least we all know we're not alone!  My worst anxiety seems to strike in the middle of the night when it's really quiet and there's nothing to stop me from over-thinking.  Then I get the physical kick-back and the anxiety starts to spiral.  At this time of year, I'm actually really glad when some early-morning birdsong starts up, 'cos then I've got an excuse to go downstairs and make a cup of tea, come back up and put the radio on ever-so-quietly-so's-not-to-wake-Hubby!   If I do wake him up, after I've said sorry and he realises I'm in a bit of a state, I get a cuddle and kiss and at that point, the anxiety starts to settle down........

Charliegirl@

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »

Hi  CKLD you me tioned blood sugar in a post, is this part of meno as I have it really badly at the moment.

rebel2

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »

Can't seem to break this current cycle.  Usually running, or being distracted would do it, but this time it really is a stayer.   Constant trapped wind feeling and racing thoughts, jumping from one potential [but very unlikely] disaster to another. 

:-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »

Panic ain't logical! even when we know what may be causing it.  I know how flight/fight response works but once it hits, there is no way of thinking out of it, I have to take an emergency med..  I know that works and that within 25-40 mins. I'll be OK!

That tightness under the rib may be tension caused by anxiety.  Have you tried the relaxation from toes upwards, i.e. stretching toes, holding for 1, 2, 3 and relax: working through all the muscle groups all that way up the body, concentrating totally on those groups?  It can ease symptoms but don't over-stretch or you will get cramp!

Brisk walking.  This under ribs feeling hasn't killed you so is probably within normal limits 4 today!  Is it painful enough to take 'nurofen'-type tablet?

Jeepers

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »

Hi Rebel2

I know exactly what you mean.  I have been suffering with what I now assume to be a gastric problem. Pain under my left lower ribs, which sometimes travels round to the back.  Burning across all of my upper abdomen at times, and little appetite. I have been taking Omeprazole for 4 days, and it does seem to be helping with the pain, but its not completely gone.  I wonder if its due to an acute anxiety attack a week ago, leading to a bout of gastritis?  Of course my health anxiety tells me it is something more sinister, and I am trying to not panic over that, so its  a vicious circle isn't it?

for me its like when you dig a hole in the sand.  As fast you dig the hole, more sand collapses into the hole to replace it.  So as soon as one symptom disappears, another comes along to make you panic about something else. And feeling rubbish all the time, you do think there must be something serious don't you?

I now also have pain down one side of my head, from my jaw to my temple.  And a strange pain in my right upper arm, as well as twinges in my right leg.  I just want to escape my own body.  :'(

How are you feeling now Rebel?

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »

Jeepers - your symptoms may be muscular.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Which , fortunately, don't happen all over the body at the same time.

I think we focus more on the various niggles ...........

Jeepers

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »

Hi CLKD

Yes, you are probably right.  Right arm stated aching when i went to get the washing in.  And anxiety exacerbates things by making us tense up. I think I need to take a daily epsom salt bath with Nick Drake (not literally!) to try to relax more. 

Do you take anti anxiety meds? I thought you mentioned them on another thread?

thank you

Jeepersx

Scotdownunder

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »

Hi Rebel,
I feel for you. I had been getting more tired, more stressed and spent last weekend in a down spiralling anxiety attack, with worsening ibs.

Now on escitopralam and feel so much better. All my normal stress replied techniques had stopped working, but this has stopped the whirling monkey mind of doubt.

Joaniepat

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 06:50:35 AM »

:hbday: :cake:
Happy birthday rebel2. Hope your stomach settles down soon and that you have a lovely day.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »

I have taken anti-depressants since 198? and GP added a beta-blocka in 2002.  These stop the anxiety surges.  If anxiety takes over then I have an emergency medication to take, which work within 20-45 mins..  Otherwise I wouldn't be here.  Knowing what causes it doesn't stop the physicality of symptoms!

Have you thought of swallowing a rennie or similar rebel2 when that burning starts, two chewed will work down and ease symptoms.

How are you spending your Day?   :party09:

dulciana

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »

I've had a lot of anxiety recently, which has made me lose a lot of sleep, be less active and gain weight.  The clothes that I've got lined up for my holiday are now all a bit tight.   I've read that anxiety and broken sleep patterns can both lead to weight-gain - well, they certainly seem to have done that to me.  Before the meno, someone at work said to me, "There's nothing of you!"   Hmmm...don't think she'd say that now.   I want to forget my worries and switch off when I'm away, so that I can sleep well and enjoy exploring the place, shedding some pounds in the process.   My daughter has told me I need to get fit on holiday and then stay fit when I get back.   She's right, of course, but she doesn't understand how your get-up-and-go can get up and go at this time of life.  I'm sure my destructive and pervasive anxiety is at the bottom of my weight-gain (no pun intended...)  Thanks for listening, ladies.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:00:06 PM by dulciana »

Snoooze

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

I have gained weight in the last year and I do put some of it down to how bad my anxiety became last year. I've always had it but during peri it became really bad and was almost 24/7. I'm feeling better lately but depressed about how much weight I have gained and how none of my clothes fit. I've been dieting but haven't lost a pound! Most disheartening. I know i have to exercise as well but my favourite form of exercise is brisk walking and in this weather, I don't have the motivation.

dulciana

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »

It's really difficult, isn't it, Snoooze?  Your story sounds pretty much like mine!  I actually made myself go for a brisk walk immediately after posting here this afternoon   (guilt? ::) motivation?) but one swallow doesn't make a summer and as for keeping it up.................time will tell!

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »

It would have been wading here  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4