Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Pregabalin  (Read 4135 times)

racjen

Pregabalin
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »

Some of you will know that I've been struggling with really awful anxiety since sudden menopause due to chemotherapy. I have severe intolerance to ADs, have tried 8 different ones from all groups and can't tolerate any. Today my lovely Mental Health Crisis Team worker persuaded me to try Pregabalin, which I've been resisting for fear that it'll end the same way ie within a week or two I'll be planning my exit strategy. I know several of you on here have had really good results from Pregabalin and I feel I have to give it a try, but pretty scared to hope right now, as everything offered to me as a solution seems to end with me feeling even worse than before. One thing I'm confused about - the printed NHS leaflet I was given says it can take 2 - 3 weeks to have an effect, whereas my worker today said no, it should be pretty immediate like diazepam. What have others experienced?

Robin

Re: Pregabalin
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »

The anti anxiety affect is within about an hour or so of starting to take it. Its when it's used for pain relief and epilepsy that it takes longer to work as a higher dose is needed for and the dose needs to be increased slowly to reach the right level.

I've used it for both anxiety and pain relief
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:57:48 PM by Robin »

bramble

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »

I would not say it had an immediate effect for me. It did take a couple of weeks. I did get a day or 2 of euphoria in the first week which the leaflet also mentions. And Ii did get some of the other minor ones like dizziness, dry mouth etc etc but those wore off after a couple of weeks. I would say stick with it as it has been proven to be very effective. It gave me back a big proportion of my life - more energy, more enthusiasm, more confidence. I think I started on 75mg a day then went up to 2 x 75mg a day. But there is loads more scope to increase further if necessary.

Bramble

Robin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:02:55 AM »

Pregabalin is now used by many as a recreational drug which obviously doesn't relate to this situation or mine but does suggest some people, myself included, have a fairly fast reaction to it. I'm not suggesting it immediately took all my anxiety away but it did noticeably reduce it each time I raised the dose.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:47:33 AM by Robin »

racjen

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »

Well i'm on 50mg twice a day; took it last night and this morning and it's had no effect whatsoever so far...

Robin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »

Perhaps it's going to take a while longer for you as it did for Bramble. I hope you get some relief soon

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »

My friend takes it, and is full of praise. I think it took a few days to properly kick in. Keep us posted.

racjen

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »

Well, it's day 4 and I'm still feeling nothing - no side effects at least but no benefits either. Will keep trying unless it starts causing me problems. Due to increase dose to 150 mg at the end of this week - maybe that'll have an effect. I'm due to go to the Penny Brohn Centre (Cancer retreat centre near Bristol where you can go and get looked after, fed and given lots of health advice, support etc., all for free) tomorrow for two nights. Ordinarily I'd be thinking 'yay, two nights away in a hotel, no cookin/cleaning/washing up etc.)' but because of the anxiety and general feelings of unsafety I'm really terrified, even though I've been there before and I know how good they are. Just the thought of being away from the security of home is really scary right now. But I'm also really determined to go - will let you know how I get on x

racjen

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »

The good news is I made it to the Penny Brohn Centre and it was wonderful - so supportive, when I felt crap I was able to be with it, and when I felt OK it was great. A wonderful group of 7 women who really gelled and supported each  other.

The bad news is that it's Day 8 on pregabalin and it's still doing nothing for me. I've just upped the dose to 150mg a day so will see if that does anything. So still  stuck with crippling anxiety. Maybe I just have to accept that this is my life now..... :-\

bramble

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »

Glad you had a few days away and were able to enjoy some of it. Stick with the Pregabalin. It's still early days yet. There was no 'on the Mount' experience for me - I just realised one day I was doing things as I thought about them instead of thinking about doing something and then sit thinking about doing it for 2 hours. It should hopefully catch you unawares as it did with me.

Bramble

racjen

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »

What dose are you on Bramble?

racjen

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »

Just an update for anyone who's interested in Pregabalin for anxiety: the good news is that after nearly two weeks it hasn't given me any of the awful suicidal reaction I've had to ADs; side effects I have are being very tired and constant dry mouth. The bad news is it really isn't doing anything for the anxiety at all, that's just there pretty much all the time. I've just upped the dose to 100mg twice a day so we'll see - I'm prepared to stay on it for a good long time as long as it's not causing side effects, and there's still scope for significant dose increase yet. The bizarre thing is I'd say that my mood has improved since being on it, so my perverse brain seems to be seeing it as an anti-depressant rather than an anti-anxiolytic. Or maybe that's just a coincidence - sigh.......x

bramble

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »

Racjen - I think you will find a difference now you have upped the dose. Fingers crossed.

Bramble :-* :great:

racjen

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »

I've been on the higher dose (100mg twice a day) and still suffering.I have had the odd day when it seems to be a bit better so maybe things are gradually improving. The trouble is, the days I feel less anxious I feel depressed instead - like the effect swings too far the other way. Will keep trying for the moment.