Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What should I do, rock and hard place  (Read 1560 times)

Ali72

What should I do, rock and hard place
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »

Hi everyone, I am 2 months in on HRT since attending  a clinic. I have vaginal dryness / VA, the dr put me on vaginal tablets. Unfortunately they caused such bladder pain. 13 years ago I had severe bladder pain syndrome/ IC ? I managed this pain with Prozac but managed to come off this about 4 years ago and only get slight pain the day before my period is due. Just using this tablet once has caused me such pain.
I am due back in the clinic at the beginning of May and I am wondering do I give it another go with this tablet so that the dr know that I have given it a good try. I am using the Yes VM product which has help sooth it but unfortunately the bladder pain comes and goes throughout the day.

I am 45 and had the usual symptoms for about 2years before I went to my gp and asked to be referred to a menopause clinic. I have ME as well as migraine.

Also is anyone on HRT and Prozac considering going back on it to help with bladder pain but don't want to confuse things to much.

Thank you so much for reading. I am struggling so much and just want to pull the covers over my head this is just only just beginning and already I feel overwhelmed 😩

Hurdity

Re: What should I do, rock and hard place
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »

Hi Ali72

Have you tried doing a search specifically for bladder pain/IC? It might bring up some threads. I use Vagifem as well as systemic HRT and I always find it irritates my bladder the day I insert it (usually do this in the mornings) so I need to empty my bladder more often. There are other preparations you can try - estriol cream is the other main one which comes in two strengths - Ovestin (0.1%), or generic estriol cream (0.01%). it comes with a reusable applicator. You use less of the Ovestin. It doesn't sound right to be put on anti-depressants for bladder pain - I mean surely it is best to take/use a product which targets this problem specifically?

You should also look at the long running thread "Burning Club" in the Private Lives section of the forum, as well as posts by Maryjane and Dancinggirl amongst others.

What dose of HRT are you taking?

Hang in there - it does get better and do keep looking for the right solution!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Ali72

I'm afraid the Vagifem can take some time to restore your whole bladder and ‘lady bits' but it should help the whole pelvic area - I'm very surprised you feel it's the Vagifem triggering the painful bladder as the badder needs oestrogen to function well. Is it bladder pain or are you simply getting a painful urethra that makes you feel as if you need to pee so often? If so, this is a common problem and I will give you the strategies I use to combat this later.  The fillers in any local oestrogen treatment can cause some irritation, Vagifem is the least irritating (the oestrogen creams made me burn terribly) , and I suspect this is what you are experiencing???  Using the YES moisturiser will help to sooth things, so I'd just use plenty of this the next morning after you have inserted the Vagifem night before. 

I have been diagnosed as having IC but I know it is urogenital atrophy that has to be constantly managed.
HERE are my tips:
Vaginal dryness, due to the lack of oestrogen, can result in bacteria and thrush taking hold in the vaginal area and this will effect the bladder.  The bladder will also be suffering from the lack of oestrogen so won't function so well. So it is vital to keep things healthy and balanced.

I use Vagifem at least 2 times a week (sometimes more if the bladder starts playing up).

I maintain my vaginal flora balance by using SYLK vaginal moisturiser every day - usually twice a day (YES moisturiser is also good)  - but you mustn't use this at the same time as the Vagifem or it will affect aborption. I use Multi Gyn Actigel (I buy SYLK and Multi Gyn Actigel online)a couple of times a week to also keep the balance right - this can sting a bit at first but is also soothing.

Avoid caffeine, fruit juices, alcohol and anything acidic as this will cause the urethra to burn.
Avoid getting too hot around your ‘lady bits' - so loose clothing and don't sit down for too long.
NO SCENTED PRODUCTS anywhere near your ‘lady bits' - be careful of soaps, shampoos, washing powders etc.

Make sure you drink enough WATER - your bladder will try to empty more often if you are in any way dehydrated as the urine will be more concentrated and acidic which makes the bladder want to get rid of it.
WE need to drink between 1-1.5 litres per day, depending on our size and how much fluid we take in from food.  If you sweat quite a bit with flushes and exercise then you will need to drink more.
Whenever you feel any burning, drink a glass of water with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda - this will neutralise the urine and ease the burning.  Drinking this the night you use your Vagifem may help or possibly drink the next morning.

Totally agree with Hurdity - do not take Prozac for pain or for menopause symptoms unless you are actually depressed.
However many women do use ADs/SRRIs alongside HRT as this can work well to control meno symtpoms, depression and anxiety. 

Have you been diagnosed as in peri or post menopause? if so, you really need to systemic HRT to protect you heart and bones as you are still very young? The ME and migraines could all be related to the lack of oestrogen if they started when meno hit!!! What HRT were you given?  Using a kinder transdermal HRT might be appropriate for you and we can help with advice on this. Do look under TREATMENTS off this site for more info.

Maryjane will hopefully be along to tell you about the deep infection that is now believed to cause some cases of IC and ongoing UTI type symptoms. I'm afraid the urologist I saw, when I had a cystoscopy, seemed very vague about IC, mentioned that Vagifem ‘might' help but didn't give me any advice about how to handle this condition - I've had to work things out for myself and pass on my strategies in the hope it will help others.   Sadly, very few GPs, gynaecologists or urologists are clued up on the link between  the menopause  and so many symptoms we get at the tine in our lives.

DG x

Ali72

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »

Thank you so much for the replies I really appreciate your comments x