Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unexplained bruising around my hip. Am I worrying too much?  (Read 5527 times)

Katejo

Unexplained bruising around my hip. Am I worrying too much?
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »

I have had the tendency to bruise easily for over 20 years due to a lowish blood platelet count. It has been monitored regularly (last time in December 2017). It may be a side effect of the Tegretol which I take. Consequently I don't worry about occasional small bruises on my legs.
 Last week I unexpectedly found several quite large bruises around my left hip which is sore/tender. I am quite concerned because I can't see how I could have got them without having a minor accident/bumping my hip hard against something. I have tried to remember bumping it but can't.  They are now fading well but I am still concerned. I managed to get a GP appointment on monday and will ask for blood tests to check my platelet count and  related things.
Am I worrying too much? Has anyone else had quite a few bruises without an obvious reason? I also had a dark bruise on my arm earlier this month which has now completely gone.

Dancinggirl

Re: Unexplained bruising around my hip. Am I worrying too much?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »

I have always bruised easily and constantly find strange bruises all over my body. I'm always catching or knocking legs and hips on things but rarely remember I've done this. If it's started to fade I'm sure it's fine. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

I often say to DH that "I won't remember how I did that when I see the bruise"  ::).   If you are worried, have a word with your GP?  R U due for blood tests soon, maybe bring the appt. forwards?

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »

I often say to DH that "I won't remember how I did that when I see the bruise"  ::).   If you are worried, have a word with your GP?  R U due for blood tests soon, maybe bring the appt. forwards?
I have an appointment tomorrow though not with my preferred GP who seems to be away for a couple of weeks. Not due for tests very soon but will ask to have them done now as a precaution.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »

Hopefully the bruise will have gone by then ;-)

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »

Hopefully the bruise will have gone by then ;-)
They haven't gone but are fading. However there still could be a problem.   I saw the GP this morning and he seemed quite concerned and gave me forms for blood tests. Will have to try and get them done tomorrow morning. Couldn't do it today. No slots available until this afternoon and I had to get to work by 1pm.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:45:30 PM by Katejo »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

So you are on the way to getting this bruise sorted.  Let us know!

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

So you are on the way to getting this bruise sorted.  Let us know!
I have now had the blood tests but will have to wait until next week for the results. Bruises have faded more so should have gone by then.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »

Do you feel less worried?

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »

Do you feel less worried?
Not until I get the results. OK I'd be more worried if the bruises had spread further but I am still concerned. I am still racking my brains to think whether I could have bumped it. My hip is still sore/aching a bit but perhaps you get that whatever the cause.

Snoooze

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

My teenage son had some huge bruises on his leg and  he couldn't remember doing anything to cause them . It was quite alarming when I saw them, even the colour was bad but they then began to fade. Your Dr is right to order tests for unexplained bruising but I think the fact your hip is still sore and aching shows you banged it somehow which I think is easily done. I also bruise easily.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »

My teenage son had some huge bruises on his leg and  he couldn't remember doing anything to cause them . It was quite alarming when I saw them, even the colour was bad but they then began to fade. Your Dr is right to order tests for unexplained bruising but I think the fact your hip is still sore and aching shows you banged it somehow which I think is easily done. I also bruise easily.
I hope you are right. If the bruises had been on an arm/leg, I would have been much less concerned. However they were on the lower part of my stomach around the hip. Just can't think how I could have hit that without knowing.
Really hoping for an all clear but the GP may insist on referring me to a haematologist even though I saw one at the end of 2016. My platelet level was checked in January this year.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »

Go for the appt. if you get the opportunity and ask what you need to panic about? 

Snoooze

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »

I hope you are right. If the bruises had been on an arm/leg, I would have been much less concerned. However they were on the lower part of my stomach around the hip. Just can't think how I could have hit that without knowing.
Really hoping for an all clear but the GP may insist on referring me to a haematologist even though I saw one at the end of 2016. My platelet level was checked in January this year.

I think if your platelet count was just checked in January then all should be OK. I've just had an itchy rash in the same area! It was such an odd place, I was wondering what was causing it. It lasted a few weeks during a time I was very stressed. Since the stress is over, the rash has gone but where I was obviously scratching it in the night etc, it developed some bruising as well.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 07:18:15 PM »

I think if your platelet count was just checked in January then all should be OK. I've just had an itchy rash in the same area! It was such an odd place, I was wondering what was causing it. It lasted a few weeks during a time I was very stressed. Since the stress is over, the rash has gone but where I was obviously scratching it in the night etc, it developed some bruising as well.
I unexpectedly got my blood test results today. Hadn't expected them until after Easter. I managed to get an end of day appointment. The duty GP seemed happy with them and no mention was made of any referral. The figures were consistent with previous results. I can now try to enjoy my Easter weekend.  :)
Pages: [1] 2