Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Prosterogone treatment for hyperplasia  (Read 1930 times)

am#

Prosterogone treatment for hyperplasia
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »

Hi i'm wondering if anyone has had similar experience and can give me any tips ,

I had a trans vag scan is october due to bleeding and heavy periods they saw lining thick and took a biopsy , in december at appointment with gynae i was told i had endometrial hyperplsia ,no atipia or malignancy says on report. I started treatment with prosterogone injection every 3 months or was told i could also go on the pill , then i would have another biopsy in 5 months .

The first month i was fine then i started having some constant spotting mid january , and now for most of february i have like a light period but the odd days i seem to just spot then all of a sudden have a flood with clots in it , i am due the second injection in the next 10 days but i'm not sure what to do , i think for sure will mention it to gp before injection or i am wondering about give the gynae nurse a call , generally in myself i feel better , mind fog seems to have gone , i am keeping iron intake up . Injection i was given was Depo progevera /Medroxiprogesterona , i am in Spain so i imagine could be different in the Uk.
Any ideas of what could be going on would be appreciated .

XX

Hurdity

Re: Prosterogone treatment for hyperplasia
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »

Hi am# - I'm not sure how the injection works over a 3 month time period.? However normally if the endometrium has been stimulated by oestrogen, the addition of progesterone causes the lining to change in structure ( ready for the fertilised egg), and if progesterone then decreases as in the normal menstrual cycle (or is withdrawn eg in cyclical HRT), this lining is then shed.

It sounds to me that somehow your body is registering the decrease in progesterone and the changed lining is coming away, which may not occur with a constant dose of a progestogen? I know that endometrial hyperplasia can be treated for example with norethisterone tablets and can restore the lining to normal within a few months depending on the degree of thickening. I'm not sure whether this necessarily involves bleeding but as far as I understand sometimes the lining can be reabsorbed with high doses of progestgoens which then also prevent it from growing again due to oestrogen, but without coming away as a bleed.

Do you know how thick it was and are you taking HRT, or is this your own oestrogen having caused this?

Good that there is no atypia or abnormailty - and hopefully the bleed is just the thickened lining coming away perhaps less efficiently dealing witht he hyperplasia due to the injections every three months. Another alternative is to have a Mirena coil although if your lining is still thickened there could be bleeding initially too?

Yes I would mention to doc before the next injection. Hope all is well and the bleeding settles :)

Hurdity x

am#

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »

Thanks hurdity  ;)

No i'm not on any HRT , it was all new to me so did not think to ask how thick it was but will do next time.

The only other tablets i was given were tranexamic acid before i had biopsy results then it seemed to work and period was much better and stopped after 5 days , now if i take it bleeding stops but starts again when i don't take them .

I will read up on norethisterone , and see if that is used here.

XX

am#

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »

Gp said i should carry on with treatment so i had my second  prog  injection today and a blood test to see how my iron levels etc are , after horrendous flooding in the past month now for past 8 days just very light spotting .Second biopsy on mid may to see if treatment is working .

I know i don't get many replies but quite a few reads and maybe this info can help anyone in the future.