Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Going grey  (Read 11631 times)

Pennyfarthing

Going grey
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »

I have been thinking of not dyeing my hair for ages and havent done so now for a couple of months.  This is the longest Ive gone although I have been stood in shops with the packet  in my hand but returned it to the shelf!  ;D

My natural hair colour is dark brown with a bit of red tones and I have quite pale skin.  My hair is long and I usually  twist it up on top of my head somehow so I can kind of disguise white roots.  My hair grows very quickly so I'm hoping the transition to grey wont take too long.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Going grey
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »

I've been salt and pepper for years  ::).  I have used over-the-bath, looks-like-murder-has-been-commited packets of self dye  ;D ;D.  I've also had hi and low lights by a professional who used to visit us at home.  That stung a bit.

See how it goes.  Sometimes grey lightens in the summer.  When I have mine cut it takes most of the grey away.   You could of course go to a saloon with wigs to see how you look with different colours ;-)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »

I've been salt and pepper for years  ::).  I have used over-the-bath, looks-like-murder-has-been-commited packets of self dye  ;D ;D.  I've also had hi and low lights by a professional who used to visit us at home.  That stung a bit.

See how it goes.  Sometimes grey lightens in the summer.  When I have mine cut it takes most of the grey away.   You could of course go to a saloon with wigs to see how you look with different colours ;-)

For quite a while I paid about £60 at hairdressers for base colour plus low lights and it looked lovely but as my hair grows quickly it didnt last that long.  Then I had a hairdresser come to the house and she was much cheaper and did a good job.  She had her second baby and stopped for a while so I did it myself which was a mess and a faff.  She came back A few months later and then got pregant again so I kept doing it but all the time wishing that I could give in and go grey gracefully.

My mother has lovely thick pure white hair and everybody comments on it so I hope I go the same as her.  :).       I find it so hard to walk past hair dyes now.

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »

I'm the same. Dark brown and have been letting the grey come through but family and kids kept telling me it was awful so I dyed it again but i really didn't think I looked  any younger or anything with the dye, so I'm letting it go grey again. I like it but it's other people who always comment about it saying I should dye it. I have known a few people who have let the grey come through and they really suit it.

My hair is not like it used to be. I always had very thick hair and lovely condition but I don't think the dye does it much good and now it's a lot thinner and doesn't look as shiny (or is that a meno symptom?). I look at old photos of me and how nice my hair used to look but I really have got sick of dyeing it especially as the grey comes back again so quickly.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:15:31 AM »

My hair has also lost it's shine and fullness - but not everyone is affected it seems. My mum kept her really thick, beautiful hair right up until her death at the age of 84. Sadly I seem to have inherited hair from my dad's side of the family!  ;D

I haven't read all of this but it gives some idea of what happens to our hair as we enter menopause http://life-begins-at.co.uk/hair-changes-menopause/

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »

Let us know what you decide?

Snoooze

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »

My hair has also lost it's shine and fullness - but not everyone is affected it seems. My mum kept her really thick, beautiful hair right up until her death at the age of 84. Sadly I seem to have inherited hair from my dad's side of the family!  ;D

I haven't read all of this but it gives some idea of what happens to our hair as we enter menopause http://life-begins-at.co.uk/hair-changes-menopause/

Taz x

Mine has been shedding for about 5 years now. I'm so glad I had  thick hair to start with but it couldn't be described as thick anymore. Funny thing is I used to hate how thick it was, now I miss it!

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:23 PM »

Hello ladies.

I'm 61 and although only a few grey hairs so far I've noticed more arriving of late.  I've vowed not to dye it mainly because I used to colour my hair when I was younger and it ruined the condition. The women I know who have let their hair go grey look very good to me and this may be because their natural colour complements their complection.

Take care all.

K.

ariadne

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »

My natural colour was mousy brown but I've mostly had it coloured varying shades of blonde for most of my adult life. I've been colouring it myself for years now and was using shade 9.3 but even then white roots would begin to show after 4 weeks. So now I am using shade 10 and although I often think it's so light that it almost looks white, it is a perfect colour for me now as the roots hardly show.

My method is to mix up just half of the packet. Do the roots then immediately comb it through all my hair with a wide tooth comb. Leave for half an hour. I find that this way I don't get those awful lines where you can tell the roots have been done over and over. Then next time the roots need doing, I use the other half of the packet.

After a few root touch ups, I do use a whole packet to brighten up the rest of my hair.

I don't find it a bother, it's cheap and I can do it whenever I decide it needs doing. So for now I'm happy to carry on with it.

Ariadne xx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »

My natural colour was mousy brown but I've mostly had it coloured varying shades of blonde for most of my adult life. I've been colouring it myself for years now and was using shade 9.3 but even then white roots would begin to show after 4 weeks. So now I am using shade 10 and although I often think it's so light that it almost looks white, it is a perfect colour for me now as the roots hardly show.

My method is to mix up just half of the packet. Do the roots then immediately comb it through all my hair with a wide tooth comb. Leave for half an hour. I find that this way I don't get those awful lines where you can tell the roots have been done over and over. Then next time the roots need doing, I use the other half of the packet.

After a few root touch ups, I do use a whole packet to brighten up the rest of my hair.

I don't find it a bother, it's cheap and I can do it whenever I decide it needs doing. So for now I'm happy to carry on with it.

Ariadne xx

Sounds good, I have a friend with mousey hair and she does what you do and it always looks good.  I commented on her hair recently and she said “but its full of grey” and she showed me but it all blended in so nicely.      I guess mine is worse as its dark brown.  Today I went back to using a tinted moisturiser which I havent  worn for about a year - I just thought as I have this grey halo around the front of my hair Maybe my skin needed to look a bit darker!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

I've had a hair cut for the 1st time since October - a lot of grey, now gone  ;)

Grey hair doesn't take up colour as easily as other hair as it's courser.  So beware  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »

Well I now have quite a nice white halo around my hairline. I dont have a fringe and I always have it swept up into a top knot of some sort. I am rather liking it now and nobody has said anything negative, in fact I dont even think they've noticed.

My hairdresser is coming round next Friday to give it a good trim.  She always says my hair is in lovely condition so I will see what she thinks now.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »

'Photos?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:58:37 PM »

'Photos?

Wouldnt have a clue how to do that!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »

Well I wish I hadnt done that!  Just googled “how long does it take to go grey.”and it says 10 years!!!! Surely not. My hair grows quickly.

My hairdresser came and cut a couple of inches off it the other day and she examined it and said she thinks I will just go white instead of salt and pepper so that cheered me up a bit. My Mum at nearly 94 has thick, pure white hair.  everywhere we go she gets compliments about it so I hope mine goes the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5