Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Which vitamins?  (Read 12509 times)

Lalb1

Which vitamins?
« on: March 03, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

Just wondering which vitamins and what sort of dose people are taking to help?
I currently take
Vit D- 10,000 - 2-3 times a week(always suffered low levels)
Evening primrose oil
Magnesium&calcium
B12
B6

Is there anything else I should add? I just want to feel better, hopefully something that will help with the aches,brain fog,insomnia and low mood.
Thanks 🙂

Daisydot

Re: Which vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »

Morning.! You need to be taking vit k2 along with your d3 vitamins as it helps to stop the formation of calcium crystals,when combined with each other it stops arterial calcification.you can buy a combi spray of d3 and k2 which you just spray into your mouth therefore bypassing the liver so your absorption rates will be much better.check it on amazon not a bad price from them.you can also get a good quality multi b vitamin from them.try and get your magnesium and calcium from your food rather than supplements.do a bit of research on this it's quite easy to up your diet to include more also if you can try and drink a glass of milk daily as that will increase your iodine levels which will benefit your thyroid function,it all helps and well done xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »

I would add that Vit K deficiency is very uncommon in healthy adults.  So long as you are eating your greens, you should be getting enough naturally. Olives and olive oil also very rich in K.

P.S.  If you do decide to supplement don't take more than 1mg.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-k/#what-happens-if-i-take-too-much-vitamin-k
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:07:33 AM by Shadyglade »

Salad

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:56:12 AM »

Hi Lalb1

I can identify with your symptoms plus add some others  :)
I'm on a regime at the moment to correct a Vitamin D deficiency - 10 000 iu D3 daily plus 400-600 mg Magnesium Glycinate and 5 mg Vitamin K2 (Mk 4).
Once I'm at a good Vit D level and if I'm still having symptoms I'll add in B12 supplements.

Have a read about the symtoms for low vit d, low magnesium and low B12- I think you'll be interested.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »

Omega 3 - is very important. If you can eat salmon or tuna at least 3 times a week then that may be enough but popping some Krill oil capsules (expensive I'm  afraid) would be good. It takes time for levels to build but omega 3 is good for joints, skin, cognitive function and also mood. DG x

weathergirl

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »

I take 2000IU daily of D as my levels are holding well at a higher point.  I also take ashwaganda, milk thistle, Evening Primrose, and recently added in some Ginseng.  I feel like the single most important aspect of going through menopause naturally is to care for the adrenals.  It seems to all start there. 

Smitten

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »

That's so interesting regarding the adrenals weathergirl is there a particular supplement that's important for that? I think it's something that may be beneficial for me :)

Currently I take:

Vitamin D
k2 MK7
Magnesium spray
B12
Menopace more as a multivit really

:)

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »

I have got really fed up with taking lots of different tablets daily so have ordered multi vitamins. I have trouble swallowing big tablets, as most of the multis are, but have found some chewable ones. Plus magnesium in effervescence drink tablets.

weathergirl

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »

Smitten, sorry so late in answering this!  I take Ashwagandha as well as maintain mid-high levels of vitamin D (serum level).  I have used other 'adaptogens' in the past.  Some that you can research for up to date info are: astragalus, ginseng, and rhodiola.  There are so many natural/herbals out there that seem to be very effective at helping support the body when under stress. 

I was very hesitant to try them at first but after a lot of my own research (and asking questions), I decided to try them.  Quality and independent testing of supplements (for potency, contaminants, etc) was the most important thing to me.  I've also been using Maca powder for a little while and it seems to balance energy levels nicely.   The reason many people bail out on these things (natural/herbal) is they take time and consistency!   

There isn't 'immediate' relief like with HRT/prescriptions.  The way I view it, these natural preparations are helping the body to achieve the best balance it can within our hormonal system - as a whole.  Good luck!

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

That's a really good point as it's easy to give up when nothing changes after a week! I've also read that it takes time and commitment (and much less side effects!) but I'm just too impatient sometimes!

My progesterone cream works within hours but the precursors to make more of my own would probably take weeks.

I find homeopathy quite fast acting but that is stimulating the immune system so probably quicker.

weathergirl

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

Yes!! Exactly whatever works best for each person is what matters!   I think everyone's hormonal makeup is just too unique for any one method or way to work for all. There's a lot of back and forth with these-  try this/try that, eliminate this, eliminate that, ruling out other issues...all of it!!  It can be its own full time job!  ;D

Salad

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:38:43 AM »

I've just added 1ml sublingual Vitamin B supplement (contains 1200 mcg B12) and it tastes disgusting!

Think it's doing me good though, even after just two days so I'll have to persevere  :beaurk:

Daisydot

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »

Lol your right there most of the sprays are gross but super efficient,the Dlux D+K2 spray is very good it's like a minty breath freshener so more acceptable than some of the other flavours.theyre just so much easier on the tummy than pills and you can use anywhere you go just a quick squirt into your cheek and job done.xx

Salad

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »

Lol your right there most of the sprays are gross but super efficient,the Dlux D+K2 spray is very good it's like a minty breath freshener so more acceptable than some of the other flavours.theyre just so much easier on the tummy than pills and you can use anywhere you go just a quick squirt into your cheek and job done.xx

I'll definitely look out for it, thank you - unfortunately there was an offer on the one I bought so I've actually got 2 bottles to get through  ;D
Today I used it after brushing my teeth and the toothpasty taste did make it taste a bit better.

Cassie

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »

Vit K2 is vastly diff from Vit K and not easily obtainable from food, one needs a supplement as it is really only obtainable from grass fed beef, eggs and butter in small quantities and is essential to prevent calcification of the arteries, also for bone health and heart health. Its not a well know vit but really, a very important one.
Pages: [1] 2 3