Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Histamine intolerance  (Read 3195 times)

Nellie Noo

Histamine intolerance
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »

Has anybody any knowledge of histamine intolerance .?  There is apparently quite a strong connection between oestrogen , menopause, and histamine. I was reading about histamine on the net and although a lot of the stuff i couldnt understand ... there seems to be a strong connection between allergies, itchy skin, nausea, headaches, ibs even flushes that can be caused by high oestrogen ( peri )  which leads to high  histamine in our bodies, from food and drink . Like i said .. some of what i read i struggled with, but it seems  a low histamine diet can control  a lot of symtoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Histamine intolerance
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »

I use anti-histamine medication to ease allergy-type symptoms as well as aiding sleep on an occasional basis.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may dry: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina ......... I don't understand what 'high' oestrogen is  :-\ in peri oestrogen levels drop.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »

Oestrogen levels can be higher than progesterone levels in peri . So although they are “dropping “ we get oestrogen dominance . X
I never knew certain foods and drink contained histamine ... and if you have an overload as such, you can get all these symtoms .. that are so like meno symtoms . 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »

Do you have a list of foods - I'm suffering a cold this week and have no energy to 'search'  :-\

Lizzy2557

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »

Hi i have an intolerance to histamine since i was in my early 40's , i'm 54 now and it has definitely gotten worse with menopause , mine resultin in swelling around my eues ans mouth which without taking steroids can take around 10 days to get better , but it leaves me with very dry and sore skin , i take fexofenedine every day and try and stay clear of foods with high levels of histamine , especially fish which for me seems to be a big trigger food , that and stress

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »

For someone who has histamine problems ( anaphylaxis) for 30 years now I know very little ! But peri brought on an increase of silly reactions.  Swollen lips, eyes, itching etc oh and asthma ! I didn't even know foods contained histamine 

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »

Wow. I have just been prescribed antihistamines as my body was itching all the time and I was breaking out in hives. I asked gp if this was a menopause symptom and she said no but couldn't offer an explanation . So glad u posted about this..thought I was going mad!!!

Nellie Noo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »

Well i had noticed quite a few things that made me look on google. Couldnt drink red wine without sneezing and getting itchy eyes ( cant tolerate it at all, now )
Was struggling with bad hayfever in march ! For the last 3 years ! Have never had it before !
. Cant touch certain fruit without having a reaction in my mouth ... like an oral allergy . And the list goes on .. so when i read that certain foods and drink had histamine in them, and that once you have “loaded” up your histamine bucket in your body .. you will get a reaction.. whether its itchy skin .. hives .. sneezing etc . Then to read that there is a connection between oestrogen levels and histamine ... well it sort of made sense to me! Our bodies are very complicated !!!!😳

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »

My allergic reactions to things have greatly increased since I came off HRT - I'm very post meno so really low oestrogen!!  I use Benconase regularly or my nasal passages stream during the day and I'm terribly stuffy at night. My skin is itchy and my mouth is dry and I have more outbreaks of dermatitis.   Lack of oestrogen causes a lot of problems.

Oestrogen dominance is a bit of a 'red herring' - we don't get too much oestrogen in peri menopause, its simply we get fluctuations wen the oestrogen dips due to erratic ovulation - sometimes progesterone in early peri meno or HRT in mid to late peri can correct the balance and prevent erratic bleeding.  I found in early pregnancy, I was more sensitive to allergens - I believe this is when we produce a lot of progesterone??? DG x