Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New Again  (Read 869 times)

Annie26

New Again
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »

I have not been on here for a while.  I am getting more aches now and still have periods for most months. I wish they would just end. I also get very tired , hot flushes and cannot sleep well on the run up to them.
I was coping very well until about 12 months ago my mom was diagnosed with vascular dementia and she is now in a home, I am an only child so I have all the sorting out to do.
Gp will not prescribe anti - depressents or anything.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Again
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »

Could you see your Practice Nurse?

Is your Mum safe?  Are the Staff friendly?  It is tiring, going through similar myself though Mum hasn't any dementia ....... but does change her story dependent on who is listening  >:(.  I don't know if she is aware or whether she's being manipulative!

What do you feel you need at this point in time?  Maybe make a list for the next 7-10 days and see if the Practice Nurse will talk with you, or have a look at the web-site to see if there's a GP with an interest in Womens' Health.

Machair

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

Hi Annie26
 I just lost my Mum after a long battle with vascular dementia. If you ever need help just message me. I am also an only child and it takes so much out of you I know. xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »

Hi Annie26

So sorry to hear about your mum - that must be very stressful and upsetting for you.

In terms of your symptoms, if you have started skipping periods some months, and your cycle length varies by a week or more, or has started to be quite variable, then you are in the early peri-menopausal transition. If you are also getting menopausal symptoms such as flushes and sweats and you are over 45 then this also confirms it and the first line of treatment is HRT if you have no medical reason not to take it. Your doctor is right not to prescribe ADs, but wrong not to consider HRT if you are able and willing to take it!

At this stage a low dose HRT tablet may well help (eg Femoston 1/10) - or else if you are under 50 have you thought of one of the CCP preparations which will suppress ovulation and regulate the cycle, and so help with mood swings?

Hurdity x