Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem.  (Read 12711 times)

Scottishgirl

Vagifem.
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »

I would like to know how everyone feels about vagifem. I've been prescribed them for vaginal atrophy, which gives me horrible bladder symptoms. I've had a hysterectomy, 2004, and further prolapse surgery in 2015. I think my bladder has prolapsed again. I find the vagifem very helpful. What's the opinion of the safety aspects of vagifem? It's scary when you read it can cause cancers, but my doctor said it was safe . I must admit it works for me. I would love to have anyone's input on this. Hope this is the correct place for new topics. I'm a bit confused about the forums.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:38:10 AM by Scottishgirl »

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:30:13 AM »

Scottishgirl, your doctor is right, Vagifem is perfectly safe. It contains a very low dose of estradiol which is not absorbed systemically. The Patient Information Leaflet enclosed with the product is the same as the one provided with systemic oestrogen replacement, which is daft, but that is how they do it at the moment. Glad to hear it is working for you.
JP x

Scottishgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply. That is so good to know .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Scottishgirl

I believe that all women should be given Vagitem once they reach menopause and it should be used for the rest of our lives.  It would help to prevent all kinds of problems.  The risks are very, very, very small but the benefits are great.
If you have had a hysterectomy, then some systemic oestrogen might also help - a bit of Oestrogel daily could be very beneficial and also very safe. I believe it is actually beneficial for women who have had a hysterectomy to have some systemic oestrogen, as research has shown a reduced risk of developing breast cancer. It's the combined HRT with progesterone (for women who still have a uterus) that carries a small increased risk of BC, if still using HRT beyond the age of 60.
Oestrogen protects the heart and bones, reduces urogenital atrophy and can protect from bowel cancer!!!! There are risks with any treatment but doctors rarely tell women about the benefits of HRT!!!!

If I were you, I wouldn't let them take your Vagifem away from you - keep using it for the rest of your life. DG x

Scottishgirl

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »

I think that is so true. I was in so much pain and discomfort. Terrible bladder problems, uti's and also uti's symptoms but no bacteria. One wise doctor took one look and said yep vaginal atrophy. I had never even been told about this and I am 62! The vagifem definately makes a difference. Thanks so much for the advice. The pamphlet is scary, as is the online info, it almost says you will get cancer! And i really don't think I could do without it .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »

Sounds like typical VA to me.  Have you read the various threads here?

I had breast cancer in the 1990s - the lump was found to be suspect.  However, Quality of Life is important 4 me so HRT would have been pushed, had I required treatment.  As it was, my GP recognised that my repeated urine infection-type symptoms were VA and prescribed accordingly!

Job done ;-)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »

Scottishgirl - I actually feel very cross that the leaflets, that come with Vagifem and other vanilla oestrogen treatments, are the same as for full systemic HRT.  All these leaflets need to state not just the risks but the benefits as well and the risks need to be put in proportion - not overstated. 
Antidepressants are dishes out so readily but doctors rarely point out the risks and side effects - why oh why are doctors, and the press, so obsessed with warning women off something that can give them their life back????? If HRT was a treatment for men, would there still be so much negative press?????  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »

I never read the leaflets  ::)  -  my GP or Pharmacist explain quite clearly .......... if not I go back to the Surgery until I understand.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the great advice regarding the vagifem. I feel more confident now. Love this forum .

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »

Let us know how you get on  :foryou:

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »

I went from Vagifem onto Evorel Conti patches. The patches didn't suit me. Back to Vagifem pessaries twice weekly...all fine.

JaneinPen

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

Hi Scottishgirl.  I too am on Vagifem after repeated UTI's and have been given back a life. Hope if works as well for you too.

Scottishgirl

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »

I've been on  other forums that say you don't need vagifem but can use natural products for vaginal atrophy. I can only say these ladies have not had the horrible debilitating symptoms of this thing. It was making my life a misery. Natural products do not work for me. I need the real thing.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »

There are anti oestrogen lobbies everywhere.  All those lucky women who cope well without oestrogen should keep quiet and stop being so self righteous.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »

I don't think that the self righteous have atrophy!  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o.  Appropriate treatment solved the problems.
Pages: [1] 2