Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Annoying times!  (Read 1720 times)

Sgtvhilts

Annoying times!
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:06:04 PM »

I think i am moving on in my peri. I have skipped my 1st period  or i'm on a 52 day cycle .  Just need some reassurance/tips if possible.
1)  Night sweats every night, but they are only on the top of my legs!! No where else. It is alwys the same time as well 5am. It wake me up.I get no daytime symptoms at all, but i do feel cold a lot of the time. Is this weird or normal. They are seriously annoying, but not debilitating.
2) period pains for days- but no period... this is also annoying as i wish it would either come or go away.
3) strangely since i skipped my period, my acne has cleared up and my mood has hugely improved- which is great
No pregnancy for sure .
So im just really curious i guess. I always thought i'd just do hrt at the first sign. But I actually feel better than i have done in a long time-so at the moment not sure weather to bother

dangermouse

Re: Annoying times!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:24:17 PM »

A lot of women feel better once their periods stop as their hormones stop surging about. You may have gone through the worst now and won't need HRT. Fingers crossed!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Stgvhilts

The menopause is different for everyone but what you are describing is not unusual for the early peri stage.
Read up all the factual info on this site to get clued up. Try not to over think things but if symptoms do become troublesome and reduce quality of life, then write all symptoms and questions down, print off info from this site if need be and pop to the GP to ask for help. HRT even in the peri stage can help.  Just don't let them fob you off with ADs or SSRIs.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »

Are you cold though, my feet feel cold to me but I am told that they are warm  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes!

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »

Yep,
I am freezing for most of the day! The same as you ,though my skin feels warm to touch. Bad night last night- sweating ++++ grrr. The wierd thing is i get no daytime flushes at all, just around 5 am. Just feeling very cross today. I am really in 2minds with the HRT. Not for the so called riskd, but i don't want to start something that i'll have to stop taking at some point and go through the whole symptom thing again why prolong the hassle is what i'm thinking. It is annoying at the moment rather than debilitating.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »

You go through menopause once. ONLY once.  Menopause technically means the cessation of monthly periods.   We get to know when our last bleed was well, about 12-18 months after it  ::). My periods waxed and waned then suddenly I realised I hadn't had one for months.

Maybe keep a food/symptom/mood diary to chart progress? 

Hormone replacement therapy is that: because symptoms become difficult to deal with as oestrogen levels drop, some ladies find that topping up or replacing oestrogen in particular eases symptoms.  Maybe decide which symptom you would like to ease.  Browse round here.  Make notes.

If HRT is stopped, one can then find out if one feels better, if not, restarting HRT is OK; as is taking HRT regardless, because once symptoms are eased, there really is no need to stop/start to find out!  One can get on with Life ;-)

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »

ThanlsCKLD
That is helpul. Yep i know periods stop only once and that is menopause, but what worries me is that oestrogen decrease- which seems to give all the symptoms.  I am pretty clueless, so iwas thinking if my oestrogen is low now causing symptoms- won't the same symptoms return if i stop HRT ?, say 5 yrs down the line? I haven't taken it yet or made enquiries just considering things.  My sister in law had her mirena out about 2 yrs ago (age 53) and has recently started symptoms like mine- mirena seemed to have carried her through the peri and pause, but now stuff starting.
I only would like to experience this once! ( no guarantees, I know )

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »

Hi,

I am so with in regards to night sweats! It's horrible. I last had them like this in pregnancy. Hope they go soon for both of us.

Xx

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »

Another stupid query!!
Say I chose HRT, go to the Gp etc etc. What is the difference between standard prescriptions that are normally dished out and bio - identicals. So i can go armed with info and not be sent away with the cheapest rather than the best option?
Have to say i am learning loads from this site and really stuck on the HRT choice
My mood has improved loads recently but night sweats much worse, i'm not sure which i rather. I had terrible probs back in the day with tsking the OCP and low mood, so if my hormones have ‘gone away' and i feel better, then why re introduce them........ oh descisions decisions 🤯

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 05:12:39 PM »

Most HRTs have bio identical oestrogen - the older HRTs had equine oestrogen which is now being phased out. You will ned an HRT that is sequential and has oestrogen daily and progesterone added in for 10-14 days each month.  The only truly bio identical progesterone is Utrogestan and this isn't usually prescribed at first because it involves a regime that is more tricky to handle and many GPs are not familiar with it yet.

If you are peri meno, then starting with a low dose is important - Femoston 1/10 is a good HRT option in pill form and the progesterone is kinder so can be a good one to try first, particularly as Femoston is one of the standard ones a GP will know about. 

Utrogestan doesn't suit everyone and just because it is bio identical doesn't mean it will suit you better.
Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page.  Print out the various options and show them to the GP as this will help when explaining what you want to try.  You can't expect a GP to be expert with HRT treatment options so you do need to put forward what you want. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »

HRT is replacing what your body makes naturally.  Menopause is natural.  In that periods stop - however, it has it's own problems sometimes, not called 'the change' for nowt!

I was lucky.  Periods stopped. Had itchiness in various places.  GP noted Vaginal Atrophy and prescribed appropriately.  Other ladies have on-going problems. 

Maybe make an appt with your Practice Nurse for a chat.  See how clued up she is on menopause  ;) 'cos some ain't, also some GPs don't seem to realise how debilitating various symptoms can be!  >:(

Put 'bio identicals' into the search box to see what pops up. Make notes  ::).  Progesterone in HRT can cause some women problems, there isn't a one route fixes all.

Tnx DG!  making a lot more sense than I seem capable of right now  :D

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »

Thanks dancing girl andCLKD
You are so right in that just becuase bio id. Are ‘fashionable' doesn't mean they are better. To be honest that cream progesterone one would be a nightmare for me sticking to the regime etc.

I don't have a great relationship with progesterone anyway, but the femostan sound a good start if i decide to go that way, the more i read on here the more I understand that it really is trial and error, and cost v benefit.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

My legs are cold from mid-thigh to my toes  :-\ but himself tells me my feet feel warm  ::)

However, cold extremities can be due to a thyroid dis-function.