Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: A little unsure  (Read 1937 times)

Lalb1

A little unsure
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »

Me again,
Really sorry and probably sound thick but have tried good old google and don't seem any further forwards.
Basically.. I was on Microgynon 30 for problems with my periods, had been having lots of weird peri symptoms too. After a weird few weeks I took the decision to stop my pill and see what was happening with my body and hormones. I took my last pill on 13th jan, had my withdrawal bleed 4 days later, lighter as had been for the previous 3-5 months.
Still not had a proper period, was expecting that. My 1st question is - Can I have hormone tests done now to see where I'm at?
2nd question is - I've been prescribed a different pill, can I start that now without my proper period? Doc wasn't overly informative. (Absolutely no way I'm pregnant so no worries about no period)
Was wondering if as the symptoms peri wise I've experienced.. could my periods be stopping?
Just so unsure of all this and you lovely ladies help to put my mind at ease.
Thanks.

Taz2

Re: A little unsure
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »

It's a tricky one. Blood tests are really unreliable in tracking where you are in peri meno as the hormones fluctuate so much. It can take up to six months for periods to return after stopping the pill so it's still early days. Are you getting any meno symptoms such as hot flushes, vaginal dryness, joint aches etc?

Which pill have you been prescribed?

Taz x  :)

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

Yeah have had hot flushes, unbelievable mood swings, dry skin,eyes,nose and vagina,weight gain, awful joint aches,itchy skin, insomnia,dizziness, fatigue, lighter periods than I had ever had for the last few months I was on the pill, forgetfulness, weird taste in mouth with dry mouth,weird dreams, need to wee more,anxious.. there's probably more but I get a foggy brain.
I had all those for a fair while over the last year and they have gotten worse.
The anxiety and fatigue along with the itchy skin at ovulation was what made me decide to come off the pill.
I've been prescribed loestrin, heard mixed things about it But the Male doc at our practice isn't great and can't get an appt with the female or nurse practitioner as yet.
Thanks for the reply, fed up of wondering what it's all about. 😬

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

Yes you can start your pill at any time. If you start at the beginning of the cycle you would be protected more quickly (for contraception) and you would adapt at a nicer pace as hormones are low at the beginning, otherwise it doesn't matter. It takes just over a week for the pill to subdue your own hormones.

There is a logynon pill, by the way, if you wanted lower oestrogen and the same progesterone as was in your microgynon. Higher oestrogen can be better at subduing your own oestrogen though whilst it is going through this volatile phase so there's no reason why you can't go back to the microgynon. Also better to take back to back without pill breaks in peri so it keeps your hormones dampened down and not flaring back up every month!

Lalb1

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »

Ah Thankyou, well I got my period this morning. Ouch!!! Had forgotten just how bad the cramps I get are. In need of painkillers and a hot water bottle.
I'm going to start the pill tonight so hopefully it will help with the weird symptoms soon.

I didn't realise that taking the packa back to back would help with peri I will definitely be giving that a go.
Will see how I get on with the Loestrin.
Thanks

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »

Oh yes the GP should have told you that, plus the progesterone levels then don't come down and your womb is fully protected better than when you have breaks.

It's recommended for women who use the pill to control their cycle so in peri and for younger women who feel worse on the break.

Be prepared to feel a bit worse for the first week whilst it kicks in!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:38:57 PM by dangermouse »

Lalb1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »

Hmmm no chance of the doctor telling me anything useful. He's no good at all. So glad I can ask questions on here.
Thankyou.
Will be prepared for a yucky start to the pill, I remember when I started Microgynon I felt eurgh.
Took 1st Loestrin 20 last night so here goes I guess.

Thanks again.