Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie aged 48 yrs and Gyno advising to take HRT Elleste Due - advice  (Read 2731 times)

Bradenton69

Hi there

I have had problems for over 2 years now and have been "putting up with" thinking supplements will fix rather than HRT or Prozac (which GP offered).

Main issues are sore bones/mood swings/fatigue - getting the odd night sweat but it is the mood swings that are bringing me down and having a strain on my relationship with my very patient husband.

I self referred myself to a Womens Clinc and they have offered to put me onto HRT - Elleste Duet - I had been told in the past that I couldnt use HRT due to my Endometriosos but it would appear that it is okay??

Can I ask, based on peoples experience or knowledge, is this the best one to go onto?  Prior to all of this starting I did suffer from extreme PMT.

I am active and try and watch my diet but the pounds are piling on which isn't helping low mood and not feeling very sexy.

Any comments or advise or anything would be very much appreciated.

Still looking at tablets and plucking up courage to take :)

Thanks for reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie aged 48 yrs and Gyno advising to take HRT Elleste Due - advice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »

Welcome.  At this point, there isn't any rush, you have the prescription but need more advice.  I am sure that someone will be along. You can put the name of the product into the 'search' box to see what pops up.  You can then make an informed decision.  Browse round.  Make notes.

As oestrogen levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also, the body may become dry.  Skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes, vagaina  :o we have threads on atrophy here too.  Forewarned and all that  ::)

Some ladies find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful. 

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »

Bradenton69, I'm afraid I don't know much about endometriosis but if you suffered from PMS, you need to be careful about the type of progesterone you take and Ellesse contains norethisterone which is not the best if you are at all progesterone intolerant or suffer from PMS.

Have you ever had a Mirena coil or taken the contraceptive pill and if so, how did you get on with them?  That would give you some idea as to how well you will tolerate the progesterone part of HRT.

My favourite form of HRT is Oestrogel because I like the flexibility of it but there are others like Femoston which other women get on well with and that might be a better one to start with because it has a better tolerated form of progesterone.  It might be worth reading up on it and if you like the sound of it, you could ask to switch your prescription.  There is information about it on here under treatments. 

I hope that helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »

Hi Bradenton69

:welcomemm:

Firstly can you tell us roughly where you are in menopause if you know - ie what are your periods doing and how long/frequent is your cycle? I am assuming as you've been given Elleste Duet you are still having periods at least now and again - because this type (1 mg or 2 mg) is designed to give a withdrawal bleed every month?

If you have had/have endometriosis - depending how bad this was and where the deposits were/are ( if you had any outside the womb), then whatever your cycle is doing it is usually advised to have continuous combined HRT which delivers a continuous stream of progestogen into your body.  This will help prevent the deposits being stimulated by the oestrogen in the HRT.

Therefore if this is the case then Elleste Duet conti would be a better choice - but this only comes as a 2 mg version but there is a 1 mg version called Kliovance. As Mary G says some women have problems with the progestogen in Elleste (or Kliovance) but many don't or it wouldn't be available and widely used! There are other continuous combined HRT types eg patches which might be better if this type doesn't suit you.

Here is what it say on this website about endometriosis and HRT/menopause:

Endometriosis   
    There is a small risk of reactivation of endometriosis with HRT use and any recurrence of symptoms should be reported. If a hysterectomy has been performed for endometriosis, the choice of HRT use thereafter should be influenced by the extent of endometriosis at the time of the operation. Since hysterectomy often causes a premature menopause, it is often advised to take HRT until the average age of the menopause; 51 years. HRT after hysterectomy usually consists of estrogen only. However, in the presence of endometriosis, estrogen may cause stimulation of residual deposits and consideration should be given to using continuous combined (estrogen plus daily progestogen) therapy, or tibolone, though little research has been done on the effect of different types and duration of therapy. Medical treatment of endometriosis often involves ovarian suppression which, along with ovarian removal, may increase the risk of osteoporosis.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Bradenton69

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

Thank you everyone for replying.

Had another melt down this morning for no reason and my poor husband is at his wits end.

My diet is great and I work out most days either doing a HIIT session or Body Balance just cant lift this low mood for longer than 3 days and my bones are constantly sore.  I also suffer from Arthritis.

Firstly can you tell us roughly where you are in menopause if you know - ie what are your periods doing and how long/frequent is your cycle? I am assuming as you've been given Elleste Duet you are still having periods at least now and again - because this type (1 mg or 2 mg) is designed to give a withdrawal bleed every month?

I have had peri symptons 2 years past December it was also confirmed at this time by blood test.  My cycle comes approx every 2/3 months and lasts 4 days and is moderate to light.

My last GP (just moved house) wont give me HRT due to my endo but this Gyno said not an issue??

Have you ever had a Mirena coil or taken the contraceptive pill and if so, how did you get on with them?  That would give you some idea as to how well you will tolerate the progesterone part of HRT.
I was on the pill all my teenage and early adult years and never had any problems.

I am at my GP on Monday and dont really know what to do or say.   I really dont need to be adding to how I am feeling and this is what really worries me.

Just want to feel better without putting on weight/bloating or feeling generally rubbish  :'(

Thank you again for your understanding

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »

Keep an account of how you are over the next few months.  Get an idea as to if there's a pattern?

Take a list of how you feel to the GP appt..  Last monthly period.  Aches.  Pains.  Maybe think about which symptom you would like to ease first.

It can take a while to find hormonal support but try not to give up trying.  Also, cut out stuff that isn't essential for a while, dust will wait ;-).  Gentle exercise.  Some find yoga helpful, brisk walking, swimming - we have threads about these too.

Let us know how you get on.

Bradenton69

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »

thank you.  DIary started.  Really bad morning but have to get better eh!!

Bradenton69

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Back from GP and now more confused than ever.

I have researched over and over and spoke to GP but dont know what to do.  Didnt really help than she ummed etc whilst reading book on what to give me as poss alternative to Elleste.  She then gave me Femostan 1/10.

I dont really know what to do.

I am scared that my low mood gets any worse and I end up loosing it at home.

Trying to find info on Elleste versus Femostan and its all mixed.  Wish it was straight forward and this is what to expect lol.

Anyone got any pros and cons  :'(

Thanks

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

Femoston has a kinder progesterone x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »

If your gynaecologist has advised that it is OK to take HRT despite a history of endometriosis and s/he is familiar with your medical history then I would suggest you follow their advice? However good idea to monitor how you feel, bleeds, pain etc so keep a diary from when you start or even from now! As Dotty says the progestogen in Femoston is often better tolerated, and if it doesn't alleviate symptoms there is the option to increase the dose to 2/10.

Let us know how you get on and hope it works for you :)

Hurdity x