Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 3 days post hysterectomy  (Read 2620 times)

Louise3108

3 days post hysterectomy
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

Hello
I'm new to all this. I'm 3 days post op and have been put on Estragel gel two pumps at night.
I had my first night sweat last night.
Can anyone give me any advice about this gel? I put one pump on the inside of each thigh.
Has anyone had experience with the gel?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:00:43 PM by Louise3108 »

Dotty

Re: 3 days post hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »

I've just started with Oestrogel. I put it on backs of arms and shoulders.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »

Hi Louise - welcome to the forum and I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

It's good news that you have been started on oestrogel straight away as your hormones will obviously have plummeted immediately. Some women have to wait quite a while to be prescribed HRT. I haven't got any knowledge of the gel but lots of the lovely ladies on here have and I'm sure you will get lots of help soon.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

The oestrogel has worked amazingly for me Louise.  I started on 2 pumps a day and used to rub them on the backs of arms and shoulders.  Sadly 2 were not enough for me (but you must give it time) I ended up having a oestradiol test and my oestrogen level was only 215 very low so I had to increase to 3 pumps and eventually 4 pumps a day.

I put 2 on a morning backs of arms and shoulders and 2 on an evening before bed on my inner thighs.

It worked and I am "me" again.  Give it time you will find your balance.  I personally find it the easiest  hrt the tablets started to give me migraines after a while... Keep going you are going in the right direction xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »

Louise - I've just noticed your other thread asking about a ‘bad smell'!  The night sweat you had last night may be a post operation infection, you may well be running a temperature and this must be checked.
Apart from that, do give things time - don't rush to increase dose just yet.   We are all different and I found 2 pumps per day got my oestrogen levels high enough - a higher dose of gel gave me headaches.   The Oestrogel is effective and easy to use and it allows you to adjust dose to your needs.
I used it for many years. 2 pumps per day is a good amount but it will take time for the body to recover from the operation  etc. and then it takes some time for the oestrogen to work it's magic. Do make sure you apply it on clean, dry and unmoisturised skin and, after application, allow it dry for at least 10 mins.   You may find you need a higher dose if flushes and night sweats are not under control in 4-6 weeks.

Take it easy.  DG x
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:40:19 PM by Dancinggirl »

Louise3108

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

Thanks for you replies, no more sweats since that first one, but a bit headachy and a funny smell from down below which is rather unpleasant, I'll keep an eye on it and contact gp if it doesn't go soon or I start to get a temperature xx

Louise3108

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

Also I wanted to ask, the consultant told me to put two pumps on, one in the morning and one in the evening, well I'm pretty sure that's what she said but I was high on morphine at the time! But when I got the gel, the instructions said to pumps at night I just wondered what everyone else does with their gel and what time they put it on to get the best results? X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »

I always used 2 pumps at the same time either morning or evening. One pump on each thigh.  Some find they like to spread the doses - so one morning and one evening but you shouldn't really need to do this with 2 pumps per day but if you increase to 3-4 pumps then it's better to spread them morning and evening. 
I tended to apply the gel in the mornings when I first woke - I'd set the alarm, apply the gel and allow it to dry before  dressing or, if I had a shower in the morning, I'd shower then apply the gel and then do my makeup, dry hair etc. to allow the gel to dry before dressing. 
You mustn't get the area wet or have skin contact with anyone for at least 2hours after application - this is why I usually applied in the morning, so if my hubby and I wanted  :bed:  before sleeping, I didn't have to worry about transference. It's basically up to you to find a routine that works for you. DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »

I use Estrogel three pumps a day, two at night and one in the day, I normally apply on my shoulders.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »

Hi Louise, I use two pumps a day, in the morning, applied to inner thighs. The reason I apply to inner thighs is because I have VA and this is closer to the offending area. My only reason for doing it in the morning is that I'll be nice and clean after my shower. I don't know if it makes much difference whether you apply it morning or night if you are only using one or two pumps, maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Hope you are getting on OK after your op. and that the 'odour' issue is soon resolved. Take care.

JP x

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »

I use 2.5 pumps on one outer thigh each morning.  If or when you increase, if you need to that is, increase by half pumps

Re your smell down below, don't leave it.  I had a laporoscopy one year after my hysterectomy and I had a smell that as the days went on, became a stench.  Everyone told me I was overthinking it but turned out 2 weeks later it was a swab left inside from the laporoscopy and only the fact it was sterile saved me, I was starting to go downhill healthwise and had to have it manually removed at hospital, even the dr had to open all windows in the room because of the rotten smell so get it checked out just in case x

Smitten

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »

Hi louise i can't offer any personal experience on the HRT but having had a partial hysterectomy oct last year I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery, make sure you rest when you need xx the ladies are very kind and caring here :)