Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Too much propanolol  (Read 3701 times)

4meSons

Too much propanolol
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »

I've had the worst morning and it was all my own fault . I stupidly took my propanolol ER very early this morning (5am) forgetting I had already took a dose at 8pm. So I had in fact doubled my dose. I had what I can only describe as contractions of terror. Full-blown panic which I don't know was a side effect or brought on by my own anxious mind. I had to ring my pharmacist for advice as I knew trying to speak to a GP would be mission impossible. I now feel exhausted and can't believe the state I was in. Just had to get it out of my head to stop replaying it x

Kathleen

Re: Too much propanolol
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

Hello 4meSons.

My GP recently prescribed Propranolol to me for anxiety. I'm not sure that it has helped very much although it was only 10mg so a low dose. I've just been diagnosed with low Serum Ferritin which is a mild form of anaemia but symptoms include fatigue, cold hands and feet and increased heart rate. I wonder if your episode was due to an increase in your dose or perversely a side effect of the medication? 

Take care and I hope you feel better now.

K.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:17:15 PM »

What dose are you on?  You had a nine  hour gap so wouldn't have thought it would do any harm. I have done more or less the same thing myself. Mine are 40mg. Don't beat yourself up, mistakes happen.....perhaps buy a daily pill container to stop it happening again.

4meSons

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »

Hi ladies
It's half beta progane 80mgs slow release. I feel really out of sorts anxiety wise, my thoughts seem to be spiralling and I'm having trouble trying to distract myself. Concentration has gone as well as appetite. I know it's not the propanolol and more likely driven by my anxious brain I just don't know how to calm myself. I had to take 1/2  of one of my precious valium earlier today just to lower the panic and stop my mind running away with itself. A few of my meds have been tinkered with lately so I'm wondering if I should just go back to the routine I was on last year. I'm so fed up I could cry I can't sleep I can't eat and I'm so so scared x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »

Hello again 4meSons.

I think many of us have experienced what you are feeling, I know I have. You may be responding to your change in meds and at this time in our lives we are easily panicked. Why not take more valium if need be, I'm sure that your GP will prescribe more for you as you are clearly sensible with them.

I wish I could be of practical help but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in your suffering.

Sending hugs and take care.

K.

4meSons

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »

Thank you Kathleen just someone responding helps it really does. I'm over analysing everything and looking for answers just to stop theses horrible feelings. I know I have a couple of more valium to ration until I see my GP next week and I do try to keep them as a last resort..

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »

4me sons  I have no experience at all of propranolol but i googled taking double the dose and this came up....does it help?

This is whats Drugs.com says:

http://www.drugs.com/propranolol.html

Propranolol dosing information
Usual Adult Dose of Propranolol for Hypertension:

Initial dose:
Immediate-release: 40 mg propranolol orally 2 times a day
Sustained-release: 80 mg orally once a day
XL sustained-release: 80 mg orally once a day at bedtime
Maintenance dose:
Immediate-release: 120 to 240 mg orally per day
Sustained-release: 120 to 160 mg orally per day
XL sustained-release: 80 to 120 mg orally once a day at bedtime
Maximum dose:
IR/SR: 640 mg orally per day
XR: 120 mg orally per day

Comments:
-The XL sustained-release formulation should be administered once daily at bedtime (approximately 10 PM) and should be taken consistently either on an empty stomach or with food.
-Dose titration should be done gradually until adequate blood pressure control is achieved.
-The recommended dosing is the same whether used alone or added to a diuretic.
-The time needed for full hypertensive response to a given dosage is variable and may range from a few days to several weeks.
-While twice daily dosing of the immediate release formulation is effective and can maintain a reduction in blood pressure throughout the day, some patients, especially when lower doses are used, may experience a modest rise in blood pressure toward the end of the 12 hour dosing interval. This can be evaluated by measuring blood pressure near the end of the dosing interval to determine whether satisfactory control is being maintained throughout the day. If control is not adequate, a larger dose, or 3 times daily therapy may achieve better control.

So, you could easily take 120mg in one dose of immediate release, 80mg of sustainted release or 60mg of XL sustained release in one dose in the maintenance phase.
I am sure you are still here this morning darl! 2 pills won't kill you. xxx
Last edited by karenp; 24-08-15 at 11:42. Reason: typo
Old 24-08-15, 07:59

Re: feeling like I took too much propranolol :/
I see, thanks Terry for that information. I didn't know the body could tolerate such high doses regularly, so that's quite reassuring.

I was panicking because my heart slowed down to just under 60bpm which feels very slow and sluggish for me.

I'm feeling a little dizzy, but I think it's because I didn't eat much today. I read a study that showed that anyone who had OD'd became symptomatic within 6 hours, and it's been more than 6 hours so far, so that can only be a good thing.

I'm going to buy a new pillbox and be a lot more careful. Thanks guys.

Thats what I found..............

For you not sleeping that is tough.  I remember you had the same lunchtimes as me a box set of pipkins or the sullivans could send you off to sleep!!!!

Seriously I hope that your mind is at rest, its easy to take extra Ive done it with other things.....take care xx

ellie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »

Relax.......my heartbeat is often under 60, and that's because of the 40mg propronol, my doctor says that's excellent.......but I know what you mean, it does make you feel a bit sluggish.     NOTHING is going to happen to you now.....we have all done it at some point.   Hope you feel better real soon.  :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »

I have no problems with it unless I miss a dose when my head goes all woozy.  Initially I was on 80mg at night cut to 40mg for years and years; last year I cut it to 20mg day and night as my head was aching in the mornings, now I take 20mg at night.  To stop those anxiety surges.

Some people do however, react completely opposite what the drug is designed to do!

How R U now?

4meSons

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »

I survived and my heart didn't stop and I'm still breathing !!! Isn't the mind awful
I'm going to ask the doctor for the normal propanolol rather than the slow release as I think I prefer them and more in control.
Thank you bring me sunshine for finding that info when I tried to look I couldn't find anything but I was in rather a panic.
I wonder if you can get pipkins box sets lol or the Sullivan's
Thank you ladies I feel all i do on here is ask for help and don't offer any help.in return x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »

You didn't fall over then!  ::)  :bighug:

I don't know if mine is slow release or not.  It's Propranolol 40mg cut in half, 20mg doesn't give me an over-night headache. 

Ruby10

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »

I take propranolol 80 mg slow release when needed for palpitation . I find that they take so long to work as they are slow release  they make me very chilled out when they kick in but find they cause me to have headaches. I am finding that going on HRT has really helped with my palpitations .