Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lichen Sclerosus and Planis  (Read 3430 times)

Alpen

Lichen Sclerosus and Planis
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »

Need some info please. I went through surgery 6 months ago to have the fused skin separated due to lichen sclerosis and planus. Is there a chance that the skin can fuse together again, and are there any kind of creams that I can use. I have tried coconut oil which wasn't helpful and am currently using dermovate, which works sometimes. I was given Estriol cream to use for 2 weeks after surgery, but been advised not to use now. Sex is totally impossible as the opening is now too small. HELP  :-\ :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lichen Sclerosus and Planis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »

Sorry, that sounds awful.   Do you not get seen on a regular basis by the Surgeon?  There are threads on Lichen so put the name into the search box on here to see what others have done.

As far as I know cream can be used in the vaginal area for ever!

Alpen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:12:20 PM »

It's a yearly appointment. Thank you for info x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »

I would give the Consultant's secretary [we don't bite ;-)]  a ring in the morning and see if you can bring the appt. forwards or if she can fish your notes out and make enquiries on your behalf.  ? ......  I am surprised that you aren't monitored more regularly! every 3 months initially followed by every 6  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Alpen
Were you treated by a dermatologist for all this ? It could be good to get referred to a gynae for more advice. I would have thought local oestrogen would be helpful.  If you are menopausal and therefore urogenital atrophy an issue, then the oestrogen cream would surely help restore things better.
Don't suffer - ask your GP for more help. DG x

Alpen

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »

hi Dancinggirl

I have been seen by dermatology/ gynae. My gynae told me not to use Estriol anymore, just stressed that after having surgery to separate the fused skin, that it maybe fusing again so quickly. How do I stop this from happening?. I think I will give the consultants secretary a ring and ask for advice  :-\

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

Yes it can fuse again and need redoing ......however you should absolutely be permanently on local oestrogen to help prevent it redoing so, the steroid cream you use thins the skin and the oestrogen will help repair , if you where in the US ( I'm uk btw and don't have LS but no quite a bit about it as wrongly diagnosed so learnt a lot in a short while turned out to be VA ) you would be prescribed an oestrogen cream as standard.

What does your surgeon think will happen after two weeks of stopping that you are miraculously cured ? There is just no commonality across the board ( especially the menopause years ).

Good luck with it all , also ladies get relief from emu oil ( good quality well sourced ).💐