media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 4952 times)

Hurdity

Re: Hi all
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »

Hi Paloma

:welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and I have to agree with Mary G that HRT is the only treatment that will eliminate or greatly reduce them.

The good news is that if you take the right HRT it is not considered to be drugs as such - in that it does what it says on the tin "Hormone Replacement Therapy" - ie you are simply replacing a hormone that has become deficient - and you might live until you are 90 - so could live 40 years post-menopause, and in an oestrogen deficient state.

Now some women will "sail through" without symptoms, and others won't. Even those who do (sail through), will still become oestrogen deficient with the potential health consequences such as declining cardio-vascular system, osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy and bladder problems - in later life - which they would not attribute to menopause.

You may not want to go into your other health issues eg re kidney function- but as far as I understand it this is not a contra-indication to HRT. In any case if you take transdermal oestrogen ( as estradiol - patch or gel) with separate progesterone - especially if vaginally, then you are taking "body-identical" HRT in the most natural way possible. Oral HRT is not the best for reduced sex drive - but transdermal may well help. Some women also benefit from testosterone although it can be difficult to get this on NHS.

Hope this helps and do ask more questions if you think we can help :)

Hurdity x

Paloma

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

Thanks Hurdity  :) Lots of info there re hrt and I hadn't thought of it in that way. There is so much to take in isn't there? I think it might be an idea to have a good chat to my doctor when I next go.

Paloma

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:15 PM »

Paloma, sore skin is the norm, yet another joy!  I think it's the nerve endings becoming hypersensitive to the fluctuating hormones.  You expect to see inflamed skin and there's nothing there, it just hurts!  Even my hair hurt at times, weird or what!!  :o

Ah thank you for that. Last week my scalp was so sore too so that explains it.

Yes, it's all very weird  :-\

Sympatico

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

Hi Paloma, I am new here too. The menopause took me by surprise, I was in my mid 40s at the time my periods ceased.

I had so many symptoms and I started taking BIHRT last year (aged 50).  It has erased some symptoms and reduced others but I am still struggling with some, especially anxiety - I think my oestrogen intake still needs tweaking.  Also I appear to be intolerant to progesterone, which is an added pain in the bottom.

Just started to read a book called DARE which seems really good and will be attending my first session of CBT later on this afternoon.  I am hoping that this will help with the anxiety.

Good luck  :)

Sympatico x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

Juneo

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:44 PM »

Hi Paloma I am new to this site but I'm learning so much in the two short weeks I have been on it, for about the last twelve months my scalp has been so painful sometimes it feels hot and hurts where my hair touches my scalp I've been to my g who sent me to a dermatologist who had a look and said there was nothing to see so she said it had to be menapause related x

Jo24

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »

I would strongly suggest you request a referral to a Menopause clinic; GP's have a general knowledge, but there is nothing like seeing a true expert in the field ...
I was referred to a clinic in Sheffield, and saw a wonderful consultant who really seemed to 'care'.
Excellent in every way ..

Dotty

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

Jo24 - where was the menopause clinic in Sheffield and who was the consultant?

serenity now

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »

Hi Paloma
I'm new too and suffer a lot from health anxiety.  Like you, always been susceptible, but after my parents died (within a couple of weeks of each other) mine hit the roof.   I have days when I am OK and other days (like this week with two health scares) when mine is horrendous.  Years of therapy still hasn't alleviated mine - but a book I read called 'At last a life' by Paul David helped where therapy didn't.  I try and use all my yoga tools and they do help - but days like these are really. really hard.
Anyway, welcome to you and I must say it's good to connect and know you're not the only barmy one out there ;)

Pages: 1 [2]