Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Acne from black cohosh??  (Read 4133 times)

Annies

Acne from black cohosh??
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

Hi ladies,

I'm trying out black cohosh before possibly retrying hrt (made me feel quite scrappy last time). I've been taking bc daily for a month and do feel its helped with night sweats, insomnia and moid swings but it unfortunately diesnr seem to agree with my skin. I used to suffer from some acne - particularly cystic around chin area- but that had cleared beautifully before using the cohosh! Am loathe to discontinue given the positives😕. Has anybody else suffered this reaction? Thanks!

Hurdity

Re: Acne from black cohosh??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »

It didn't have this effect on my but I've never suffered from acne even as a teenager. Maybe you are allergic to something else in the preparation? It is only very weak so the active ingredient itself shouldn't cause acne. In fact many women find that HRT relieves menopausal acne or rosacea type rash ( itchy red blothes/rash on face) - it did with me, once I realised that Black Cohosh was not working (I thought it did but I think it was just my own hormones coming and going!).

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »

Black Cohosh should only be used for 3-4 months at a time, it can have nasty side effects.  The way to find out if it is impacting on your skin is to stop taking it  ::).

Some ladies find that alternatives work until their hormones kick in! so any benefit may be lost. 

Annies

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »

Thanks ladies. I'll take a look at other ingredients Hurdity, that's a good thought. I've just reduced to alternate days CLKD to see if that has any bearing on my skin - if it doesn't improve I'll have to stop it as I find it just too stressful having huge zits at the age of 46! (It was bad enough as a young adult) May try red clover next before restarting hrt.....I seem to be doing my best to avoid restarting it🙁! Your motto about change rings so true with me CKLD.....xx