Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Why are we charged double for our HRT?  (Read 6637 times)

Pixiegirl

Why are we charged double for our HRT?
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »

Yes I know it's because the item contains two types of hormone but the treatment is in one box and would not be valid unless it had the two elements. It seems to me that woman are experiencing the same discrimination felt by those who are menstruating when they pay VAT on an essential item. It seems rather offensive that women get to pay VAT on their sanitary products when fertile then double charges as they enter the second phase of their lives and additionally VAT on the incontinence pads they will potentially need for the third phase of life.
Please view the following change.org petition and consider signing and sharing. We are over half of the population yet we are definitely being too silent on this topic✊🏻
https://www.change.org/p/lisa-gillard-change-to-nhs-prescription-charges-for-hrt
Thanks
🤗

Annie0710

Re: Why are we charged double for our HRT?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »

Would it be cheaper to get a prepayment card? I have quite a few things on prescription each month so this works much better for me x

Pixiegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:45 PM »

That's a very pragmatic and practical solution👍🏻
However it does rather miss the point. Why are females bearing the Excessive costs of their sex function? By this I refer to menstruation and then the lack of menstruation?
Again I call to all ladies, are you just going to accept this marginalisation and pecuniary abuse?

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »

It is arbitary. There are two different preparations in the same packet, so two charges.

Some unfortunate people have 3  :(

If you want TWO surgical stockings, it is double which seems particularly mean to me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:41:53 PM by dahliagirl »

TheWorstWitch

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »

Pixie's right - what a shame all the do-gooders currently telling models that they shouldn't be doing that for a living can't get on the case!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

Years ago a prescription was that: the cost was for the piece of paper.  Then someone realised that patients could be charged for each item  :bang:

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »

That's disgusting.  Many years ago I had a pre-paid 12 month prescription.

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »

It's the same for all medications not just HRT.  Imagine having chronic conditions and being on a low income.  It's just not a fair system at all.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »

It's the same for all medications not just HRT.  Imagine having chronic conditions and being on a low income.  It's just not a fair system at all.
It depends whether your condition is on the list of those which have exemption. Both thyroid and epilepsy medication qualify but many other conditions don't. I don't know the criteria which they use to decide this but I do qualify on both counts. I have to renew it every few years.

TheWorstWitch

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »

The medication that is prescribed for free is for conditions where someone failing to take the prescribed meds on financial grounds would endanger their life as I understand it. Insulin for dependent diabetics qualifies also.

I had a three month pre-paid certificate which covered my first Esmya prescription and about half a dozen others so was well worth while, and if I get a second course of Esmya I'll do that again - thankfully the consultant prescribes the entire course of Esmya as one prescription. At least that does cap the costs at £10 per month but for someone on a low income but not in receipt of relevant benefits that';s still a lot of money to find!

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »

If you have an official pharmacy receipt you can get your money back retrospectively if you then apply for a prepayment card.

My prescriptions bring me to just under the point when it is worth getting pre-payment.