Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hair colour  (Read 6277 times)

ellie

Re: Hair colour
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »

Just like daisydot I also am blonde and 'hit' the bottle  ;D.....but it's easier for us because we are lifting colour from our hair.....if you are grey and going darker, you are adding colour and that will fade......especially if your own grey hair is getting lighter ( more white hairs) .  Is that making sense?
  Maybe it just needs a different make of tint.....
I also don't believe in going grey gracefully  :o

Snoooze

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »

I'm also dark brown and very grey in the last year or so it comes back so quickly after dyeing. My new hairdresser told me to go a lighter colour and only dye the top (I presume she means roots?) and not my whole head of hair.

ellie

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 07:01:42 PM »

Not quite sure what she means either about just colouring the top, you will have to ask her.  But as we get older our skin colouring alters, so dark hair can look harsh and doesn't match our skin....A lighter shade and maybe some gentle highlights can look really nice, also the regroth doesn't show so much...

getting_old

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »

What is the best product to use at home to cover a fair amount of grey please? I currently need to recolour every 2-3 weeks due to fast growth (according to hairdresser) which was costing me a fortune, and I'm having real trouble finding a decent hairdresser so currently have to diy. The last hairdresser made me look so awful that close friends actually asked where I'd had it done so they could avoid them, and others just said I looked ill!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:28:53 PM by getting_old »

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »

I have blonde highlights which are great because they slowly grow out and you don't get dark roots. I have the most blonde one you can get without poroxide. Also it is applied with a plastic hood so chemicals do not touch the skin.

ellie

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »

Getting old.........What colour is your own hair ?  Is it salt and pepper?  ( more white hair than dark, or more dark hair than white).......Also what colour  when you have coloured it?    It sounds like your own hair is light grey and you are putting a dark colour on.....This would be why your roots show through so quickly.     Also are you using a semi permanent or permanent colour  on it?   

Daisydot

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

Getting old you should go back to whoever made a mess of your hair and suggest they put it right no hairdresser with a bit of pride in her/his work wants an unhappy client,we are not infallible and if you were my client I would want to see your hair so I could see what was going in such a short time,your hair is obviously not taking the product as well as it might be so please be careful with your diy box kits I assume,I hope your doing the test patches as instructed before using.are you also using the correct colour care shamooos/conditioners as the wrong ones can strip the colour very quickly.
Go back to your salon or if unhappy try another salon who maybe use better quality products.good luck x

getting_old

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »

Thanks all for the advice. The bad salon experience happened around a year ago, and it was the actual colour, a sort of weird mousy brown, which was the problem, although the condition of my hair deteriorated too. I really wasn't that impressed by the hairdresser so decided to just not go back.

Prior to that I was using a different salon until the hairdresser moved away, however I was going every 3 weeks and the hairdresser told me that it was because my hair grew really fast, and she had another client who was having to do the same. I'm now wondering if it was the product she was using, or maybe the colour was wrong  :-\  She also used to do all of my hair, so the roots were mid brown but the rest of my hair got darker because of the amount of colour she put on!

My hair used to be mid brown and is now light grey, so I'm using a mid brown dye, which is the same colour as the first hairdresser but I think I need to go for a light brown or dark blonde so will need to find another hairdresser, and it's not something I look forward to.

Snoooze

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »

She also used to do all of my hair, so the roots were mid brown but the rest of my hair got darker because of the amount of colour she put on!

This is what I meant! That's what my hairdresser told me to stop colouring all of my hair as the hair was then different colours.

getting_old

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

Yeah, she should have been doing just the roots but she used to do the whole head and I didn't realise that it was causing a problem.

ellie

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

Getting old, did your hairdresser put the colour on  the roots and then leave to process and just comb the colour through for the last few minutes.....or.....put the colour on all your hair straight away?

getting_old

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »

She started with the roots then did the rest of the hair, but there wasn't a gap. The second hairdresser did the same, but when I've done it myself I've done the roots then waited 15 minutes then done the rest of the hair and left it 5 minutes before washing it off.

ellie

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »

That sounds totally wrong to me....You haven't said if the colour that your hairdresser was using was a semi permanent or permanent colour. But I am assuming it would be a permanent tint.   A permanent tint won't wash out, but it will fade, and that's why it will need to be put through the end of your hair, and that's usually for about five mins once your roots have taken.  That way your hair should end up a nice even colour.........Difficult to say for sure what's going wrong because we don't know what product your hairdresser used........

getting_old

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

Sorry, I missed that bit out. Yes it was a permanent colour, as she said that a semi-permanent wouldn't cover the grey!.

I think the salon used Redken products as I remember seeing a lot of adverts when I was there.

The new place also used some sort of special product on my hair before colouring it, and I'm sure that was what made it go all dry as my hair isn't used to lots of products. I use hair dye but I never use hairspray, mousse, etc.

ellie

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

Getting old,  I cannot really recommend any home use products but there are plenty to choose from.  I would say....make sure it's one that says it will cover grey hair, and maybe choose a colour slightly lighter..   There is usually a telephone number on the box, you could call and ask their advise on their colours.
Can I just ask, how are you putting it on yourself?  It's not easy to do your own roots without overlapping....Also it sounds like it's  not being left on lithe roots long enough, but put through the ends too soon....
Sorry if I am not being a lot of help, but it's difficult without actually seeing your hair......
   Please don't forget to do a colour test before you use any new product, and if you go to the hairdresser make sure they do too....it's very important.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:37:56 AM by ellie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4