Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Alternative + HRT + Ad's  (Read 2888 times)

Spangles

Alternative + HRT + Ad's
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »

Hi,
I was wondering if you can use alternative therapies alongside HRT and AD's?
Does anybody know?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Hurdity

Re: Alternative + HRT + Ad's
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »

What are you wanting to try and for what issues/symptoms? Any form of behavioural or talking therapies can be used safely and could be recommended for emotional issues instead of ADs. Some herbal treatments are not recommended to be used with HRT.

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, that's what I thought.
Had years of counselling/CBT, etc, I just don't want any more.
I'm hoping my mood lifts as Spring approaches.
xXx

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »

Shelb I was going to start a similar post so I thought I would tag on here and Hurdity if you have any thoughts please do post!

So, as some of you know, I returned to Canada and completed a Masters in Social Work!  Unfortunately finding work here is a whole other issue and I've also had some mishaps - injured myself working out with a personal trainer and ended up with a frozen shoulder and made my repetitive strain injury worse to boot!

So, that in combination with a few other mishaps has put my body under a lot of stress - and in a month or so I am going to have to make some serious decisions re: work unless some brilliant job materializes here. It's looking like my best option is probably to return to the UK - and that's a bit scary (54 yrs old, 4 degrees, a disability and having to find a job with no support network!).

So I've been getting really awful symptoms of anxiety lately - which isn't surprising given my situation and ever decreasing bank balance. Now I work with the symptoms using mindfulness and CBT and I see a counsellor and a massage therapist ... and I do yoga and meditation and I exercise. But my main issue - particularly in the past couple of weeks - which I have yet to figure out a way to reduce is intense anxiety on waking, often accompanied by severe nausea. It's impacted my diet in terms of how much I can eat and it's been so debilitating this past week that I've spent 3 or 4 hours in bed resting until I can get up. Oh and I often wake up at 4am as well - great eh?!

So I'm still on HRT but I've been wondering about supplements for anxiety - either dietary or herbal. But I'm not sure what is safe to use with HRT? I don't want to come off the HRT (I'm taking estrogel on skin and prometrium - a progesterone - orally).

I currently take an omega fish oil supplement which has vitamin D in it.

And recently I took an anti-nausea pill - 1 tiny one - which helped but completely knocked me out in terms of making me very sleepy - which was not helpful given that it was morning and I wanted to stay awake for a good part of the day - it was 50mg of Dimenhydrinate.

But I've been wondering if there is anything else that might help with anxiety? Trouble is I couldn't find much evidence when I had a quick look on Google Scholar - but it wasn't a proper thorough search.

Some things I've come across - magnesium, passion flower, B vitamin complex, ayurvedic herbs like ashwagandha ... but I'm leary of adding things to my HRT given how I am at the moment unless I know it's going to be helpful.

I did see a Dr at a walk-in clinic recently (God I miss the NHS! And my old GP practice!) and he wrote out a prescription for Cymbalta. But I am highly sensitive to medications and had a really really bad experience with Sertraline back in 2015 - took 2 pills and it took me a week to feel right again! Cymbalta has a ton of side effects and I know that the body takes a while to get used to psychiatric medications but I really don't want to feel worse than I already do. Plus its going to cost more to buy it here. And once on it, you have to taper off it very slowly because you can get discontinuation syndrome (oh joy! - I feel like I've had that since I started menopause!!).

So I haven't filled the prescription yet. But if anyone has any advice on safe combinations of herbal supplements or vitamin/mineral supplements to use with HRT for anxiety symptoms - please post!

Life is never dull but always precious!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:34:57 AM by Greenfields »

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »

Morning green fields you need to be taking vitamin k2 with your vit d and I would say start a course of multi b vitamins.you can buy all of these in a spray form now that you just spray inside your mouth therefore avoiding the liver so nit the usual side effects and much better dosage going into your body,hopefully you can source where you are now or maybe see if amazon deliver to Canada.good luck xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »

Yep.  Anti-anxiety or anti-histamine tablets knock me out, gives my brain and body time to rest.

Maybe keep a mood/food/diary Shellb and get into the sunshine as much as possible.  Do you take a VitD supplement? 

Gentle exercise.  Inter-acting with others can lift mood.  Taking time to see the Spring flowers coming up as well as any greening of the hedgerows can lift the spirit.  Sounds trite but it makes a difference for me.