Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Palpitations herbal ?  (Read 4487 times)

Ruby10

Palpitations herbal ?
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »

I am looking for something herbal to take for the heart palpitations I get . What has worked for you ?

Dotty

Re: Palpitations herbal ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:03:07 PM »

Hrt stopped my palpitations in one day.

Ruby10

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »

Hi dotty

Can I ask what  type of HRT you are on ?

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

You could try any of the sedative herbs.  I find camomile tea beneficial, but some people can react badly to it - my mother can't take it as it CAUSES palpitations with her!

Cutting out caffeine can also help if you haven't done that already

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »

HRT is the best thing to reduce palpitations. 
You could try Magnesium - when I started taking magnesium, my palpitations really reduced.
Camomile tea - very soothing. Definitely cut out caffeine and alcohol.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »

This is however, the 'alternative' room  :-\  - some people don't wish to explore the HRT route or may be unable to tolerate it.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »

I don't get palpitations but have had ectopics from time to time and had a bout recently (and I've been on HRT for 11 years!), and as others mentioned cutting down on caffeine or cutting it out completely can definitely help and has eased my recent upsurge. All I've done is replace some of the tea with decaff tea (so I/we have a mixture in the teapot) and used more decaff coffee in my(our) morning brew - so still manage enjoy my caffeine  ::). My husband has to go along with redcued caffeine and I'm sure it does him no harm!

Your question may also be a bit more complex - I mean have you been to the doc about your palps? Are you peri-menopausal ie have started skipping periods or having irregular cycles? If so then the hormonal fluctuations and specifically oestrogen deficiency can be the cause I understand and only HRT will really help permanently. Once other conditions have been ruled out - and if you are not peri-menopausal - could it be stress related? There can be several other reasons too - eg alchohol (as Dancinggirl mentioned) or other drugs. Important to try to establish the underlying reason and only then will you be able to seek out the most appropriate treatment.

CLKD - the question was a general one - "What worked for you" and there is nothing to indicate an intolerance to HRT. Also Ruby10 has just started HRT and has posted about this on other threads. We are all trying to help the OP in the best way we can - it doesn't really matter where the question is asked - it is the answer that is important! A variety of suggestions have been made so hopefully they will help you Ruby10 :)

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »

The physical source can be tricky to work out but if they are caused by an overwhelmed liver then milk thistle has stopped mine, or if it's silent migraine I actually find caffeine stops mine. You could also try something like Powerbar electrolytes as electrolyte imbalance this can be an interim cause, possibly even of volatile peri hormones.

If you think they may be purely stress related then Rescue Remedy helps calm you, as does lemon balm, chamomile tea and other sedative herbals and adaptogens.

If it's a side effect of your HRT then that may settle in time.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »

Acid reflux, bloating or gas can stimulate the vagus nerve, resulting in heart palpitations. Have you tried taking Gaviscon Advance after meals and last thing at night?
JP x

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 10:55:01 PM »

Anti acid medication are only appropriate if you have a problem of that type. Also Gavicon does not suit every one and can make things worse. Better to start with something like Rennies and go from there.

More importantly it is dangerous to assume that it is automatically meno related. Best to see the Doctor first to be on the safe side.

Also mixing herbal remedies with HRT can be problematic so again check with your doctor.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:00:16 PM by Shadyglade »

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »

the question was a general one - "What worked for you" and there is nothing to indicate an intolerance to HRT.

The original question was
I am looking for something herbal to take for the heart palpitations I get . What has worked for you ?
which I assume is why most replies have concentrated on non-HRT solutions

RubyLove

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »

I drink hawthorn tea, which you can buy as tea bags from a good health food shop or through Amazon. I have been drinking it off and on for years  and it works for me.

Rustysmum

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »

Firstly Ruby10 , you have my sympathy for being bothered by these pesky things. They are my most hated symptom. Mine have changed over the years and sometimes react well to herbal interventions and sometimes not. Things that have been successful for me on occasion have been mistletoe tea or chamomile tea. I am currently trying maca which started off really well and is now not so helpful, but think I am having a hormonal flare at the moment! Although it is not herbal,  I also know a lot of ladies have had success with magnesium - either the tablets or the oil. The oil helps avoid the upset tummy issue which many of the tablets can cause. Hope you find something that helps soon, however the most important thing with these is to be thoroughly checked out by your doctor so you can be sure it is just Peri/Menopause causing them. Oh and please come back and tell us what has worked for you.