Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling scared - sense of proportion urgently needed  (Read 1750 times)

Callmemadam

• First Flush
Feeling scared - sense of proportion urgently needed
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

hi - newbie here. It doesn't help the situation that im in bed with flu right now and suffer from severe health anxiety at the best of times. I've been on HRT off and on for about three years; dr changed me from sequi to Evoral Conti back in May because although I was getting cramps on the sequi i wasn't bleeding. Had a bit of spotting on a couple of occasions over the summer but was negligible and DR said can happen on Evoral Conti. And then wham - twelve day bleed in December. Very heavy, and Dr referred me for a TV scan. I stopped the bleeding overnight myself by removing the patch, and after a week went back to putting half a patch on. But the scan has shown a thickening of the womb lining so now I'm being referred to consider biopsy etc. Has anyone else been through this, please? Is this a common problem, or uncommon. Obviously, I'm fearing the worst and trying my best not to google! Thank you to anyone that answers.

Kathleen

Re: Feeling scared - sense of proportion urgently needed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »

Hello Callmemadam.

Problematic bleeding and a thickened womb lining are common on HRT. I had something similar when I increased my patch and like you it stopped when I reduced the dose. I was referred for a scan and a slightly thickened lining was found but biopsy was all clear.

I'm sure one of the expert ladies will be along soon to advise you but I honestly think you have nothing to worry about.

Wishing you well.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Callmemadam

Kathleen is right. Erratic bleeding is quite common and the scan and taking of biopsies will be precautionary - don't get anxious about all this, just get yourself better.

If you want a non bleed HRT regime then it may be worth asking about having a Mirena fitted as this will make sure the lining doesn't build and you can then use as little or as much oestrogen as patch or Oestrogel alongside to control the meno symptoms.
Continuous HRT can often be more problematic. DG x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »

Callmemadam, this is a common problem and I've just been posting to another member about the same thing on another thread in this section!

This comes up on here all the time for both women on HRT and also for women who don't use HRT but it is usually treated with high dose of progesterone to shift the lining.  You will have to rethink your HRT regime and it would be worth asking about having a uterine ablation to make sure it doesn't happen again, particularly if you intend to take HRT long term.

Can you remember the actual lining measurement?  For women on continuous combined HRT the measurement should ideally be less than 5mm but you might have been just over this which again, is very common.  It is worth noting that everyone is different and we all have different base levels but obviously the guidelines state that it has to be investigated and it is worth getting checked out anyway.

Try not to worry and I hope you feel better soon.

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »

Just to say I know it is very hard not to worry but do try not to! I had mid cycle brown mucus on and off for 18 months and my GP at once said it was normal but I still had to have some tests / Ultrsounds / scopes etc. It was all routine and just something that is triggered with any mid cycle stuff...but  all this took a good 4 months to go through.  2 years on I so regret all the worry I had for about 6 months. The GP was of course right and the mid cycle gunk stuff has come and gone and I have had nothing for 3 months now....all that worry and wasted family time for nothing. So please be a bit reassured, they have so many tests that are useful so they tend to do all of them on everyone  which is good... but makes you anxious I know.

Callmemadam

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

Thanks everyone. The weird thing is that I am now getting stabbing pains in both ovary areas (quite a sharp stabby feeling) but the sonographer said she thought my ovaries had pretty much shrivelled away  ??? but as I am also really weak with flu that's not helping. I'm just worried because the two years plus I was on Evoral seqqui and Uterogestan I had regular cramps but never bled - so now I'm worried that the utrogestan just didn't work. :( I never thought to ask for the thickness. I guess I'll have to wait to see what her letter says.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

Cramps and stabbing pains are also common with HRT - it's just your uterus responding to the hormones.
Try not to worry.  The flu will be upsetting your digestive system and making you achy etc.  Try to relax and concentrate on getting over your virus.  DG x

Callmemadam

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »

Trying not to worry but looking back at my own notes I can see that the utreogestan was causing no proper bleeds just delayed brown discharge so maybe i should have been investigated then and that was almost two years ago  :( And GP didn't say it was urgent or anything, just did I have private health cover... its very hard not to stew but apart from this site i am being very good about not googling. I just feel really teary right now, sorry.

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »

I understand your concern, I'm bad with health anxiety made worse with being on hrt frankly.
I'm on and got the what I call mucky discharge. I've been on  it since April so panic stations here and at the Drs. I had a pelvic scan and my womb was 6.6 mm and in my area 6mm is the limit on hrt.
I had a mini hysteroscopy there and then but they didn't get enough sample. That was back in November, they tried to get me to have a GA to have another late this month, as they were not worried they said.
I've declined and am going to change hrt next week to oestrogen patch and separate prog vaginally I think.
 It is playing on my mind that I didn t have a full result but I'm hoping it is all ok. I've read widely and it seems you can practically end up with all the symptoms of a cycle on the hrt which I hadn't expected at all.