Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1447 times)

Just

Hello
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »

Hello all, I am 51 and have landed in perimenopause while ill long term following a serious vestibular issue/possible vestibular migraine. I am just starting my 3rd month of Femseven sequi patches on recommendation of neurologist who thought some symptoms were menopause based. I am not sure about them yet (apart from the known issue of not sticking!). I seem to be a bit better in the second week of each patch and struggle when they change over (so worse initally when adding progesterone and then settle and terrible a few days after going back to estrogen only patch). I don't know whether to opt for Mirena instead so I have progesterone all the time. It is quite hard to know which symptoms are menopausal and which are condition related though.
I look forward to receiving ideas and support from you all.

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »

Welcome to MM
Yes the Mirena may be a good option and you could then have oestrogen patches or, better still, use Oestrogel which you simply apply to inner thighs each day. DG x

Just

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »

Thank you Dancinggirl, these sound like good ideas to try. I am grateful for advice!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »

The Mirena can give a bit of a surge of progesterone initially after being fitted but when things settle there is much less systemic absorption, so fewer side effects and you would avoid the fluctuations of a sequential HRT. DG x

Just

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »

Thanks again Dancinggirl, all advice very helpful.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »

Hi Just

:welcomemm: from me too.

Just to add that the progestogen in the Mirena is the same one as in the Femseven so if you feel fine on that patch after the initial sdie effects (of going onto the combi patch), then the Mirena may well suit you. The amount of progestogen getting into the bloodstream (from the Mirena) is very broadly of the same order as the patch - although as Dancinggirl says the amount at first is higher (from the Mirena), and gradually reduces over the 4-5 years it is in place. It is much less than the contraceptive puills which have contain the same progestogen.

Hurdity x

Just

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and advice Hurdity.