Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 4422 times)

Hamilton

Constipation
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »

Hi there I go a hysterectomy in Aug and really suffering to go to the loo ,I have gagtroparesis (slow emptying of the tummy)and slow transit of the bowel ,got really worse since op ,anyone got ideas how to help please x

Dancinggirl

Re: Constipation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

Hi Hamilton

I have the opposite problem - everything goes through me really quickly. Have you had advice from a dietician?
I suspect the answer for you will lie with diet and exercise. Plenty of fibre in the diet e.g. fruits, veg, pulses, grains etc. but also drink plenty of fluids, especially water. Brisk walking and swimming can also be very beneficial to get the digestive system moving well.
Golden rule - small meal portions often with a glass of water.  I assume you use laxatives? DG x

Brainless

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »

I've tried so many things over the years but nothing had really worked. The last few years have been even more of a struggle with it because the constant constipation I've had most of my life has caused a prolapse. About 6 months ago I discovered glycerin suppositories. They are amazing! I use one every morning and am able to empty my bowel without all the straining etc. Prior to that the shortest gap between bowel movements was a week. Because I'm able to go everyday the waste isn't backing up and food is leaving my stomach quicker. I'm much more comfortable now. Out of all the things I've been prescribed for it this has been the only thing to truly work.

Brainless

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »

just want to add that I have a really healthy diet but for some people that makes no difference. For me it's to do with nerves not working as they should in part of the bowel. The glycerin suppositories have meant I've been able to delay a bowel operation (I hope forever). They're available at chemists and supermarkets.

Brainless

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »

I have very slow transit time too ( the little markers used on the transit test have never moved during the five day duration of the test for me)but I've been very surprised at how much the glycerin suppositories have helped with that. I can only think that when they stimulate the rectum it encourages the rest of the bowel to move as well. Since My periods started at the age of 10 I would get so full of waste I would feel like I was going vomit it out and  when I did eventually go it was an ordeal with everything exiting at once (sorry Tmi) I wish I'd found the suppositories years ago. They're ace

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »

I've just ordered some from amazon brainless ty for that I'm the same no matter how healthy I think I'm eating I always end up feeling constipated and struggle to go so I th7 k a bit of help now and again is useful to help detox the body.xx

Brainless

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »

After you've inserted one lay on your left hand side while it works it's magic 😉 I intend using them everyday forever😀

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am like Dancinggirl in that my bowel has a habit of emptying quickly so I've never been constipated but a friend of mine has this problem. Her gastroenterologist told her to eat ground flaxseed every day and she finds that this works well.

Hope this helps and wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »

I have slow transit sometimes.

HORMONES can affect bowels.  For years during my menstruating years 10 mins. B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due, I would have to find a loo, FAST as I had 'the runs'  >:(.

My Mum swears by a chewy sweet (name escapes me) : it has figs in it : that she buys from Holland and Barratt.  I had Colpermin peppermint capsules to ease upper gut wind and Motillium which is an anti-sickness medication which moves the bowel to empty - I had to swallow both within an hour of eating my main meals.  To clear the upper stomach B4 the next food entered, my bowel spasm had practically stopped.  Get a copy of Micheal Moseley's recent book about the gut as it explains fully how food enters the stomach and is processed ....... [not to be read B4 or after eating  ;)]. 

I took the upper mixture for 5 years then tried Actimel - which worked well for me.  Again, swallowing 3 pots daily initially encouraged my bowel to get back to 'normal' - I'm a go in the morning Girl - and certainly, when on holiday where we didn't have a fridge I noticed that my bowel slowed up within 36 hours without Actimel.

Sometimes my bowel doesn't feel as though it has emptied fully ........  >:(

Brainless

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »

I tried flaxseed and managed to get things moving to about every 5 or 6 days but it really irritated my bowel so got a lot of pain and just a bit of movement so not worth it for me. I know it does help a lot of people though so I wonder if it depends on the reason for the constipation.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

A good intake of liquids is important to keep the bowel lubricated.  That is from tea, coffee, juice, water, alcohol and food stuffs. 

Exercise is important.  Swimming can stimulate the bowels if the pool is warm enough.  My sister at age 2/3 had constiptation but her bowels opened every night in the bath  :-X

Brainless

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »

Hi CLKD is the Michael Moseley book called the clever guts diet?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »

I think that's it,  :medal: - but it's not to hand so I can't remember - meno-brain here  ;D

Brainless

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »

Thanks I will check it out

Woodlands

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »

Hi Brainless.
Please ask your GP to prescribe Movicol for you...it's brilliant for constipation...I'm a retired children's nurse but adults use this med too.
It rehydrates what is there so to speak...no laxative effect but gentle on your tummy too.
Hope it helps
Woodlands x
Pages: [1] 2